Young boys and their Noisy cars

Soldato
Absolutely grinds my gears. Worst is when I've just put my baby down for a nap/sleep and then 2 minutes later some toerag arrives in their chavster or moped at 180db. Revving up for no reason.

Soldato
I think you are right to find it irritating. It's anti-social behaviour. There has been a similar problem experienced by residents of posh areas of London like Knightsbridge, with people driving their loud supercars around all day and all night. Maybe research if anything was done about that. Perhaps an Anti Social Behaviour Order (ASBO) would be relevant legislation here??

Also "The current legal noise limit for car meeting type approval is 74 decibels, and it is it is illegal to modify a car’s exhaust system to make it noisier than the level at which it passed type approval with", quoted from:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/107097/new-noise-cameras-to-target-loud-car-exhausts

Caporegime
It's just this generation's irritating sound from the youn'uns. When I was a wee lad I used to ride god-almighty loud mopeds that topped out at 60mph so took 6 weeks to go past peoples' houses. Looking back it must've been irritating as hell, but as a youngster, I didn't care. I just enjoyed myself, and I suspect these new youngsters are the same.

Doesn't make it right, but it's just one of those things.

Man of Honour
We have someone who took the muffler of there motorbike to make it as loud as possible and sits on it from about 7AM till 7:30AM every weekday morning before driving away (presumably to work). We have no idea why he sits on it idling revving it now and then, its very loud, like yes we notice your there -_- get over yourself.

When I go out in the morning, I drive very slow and try to make the least amount of noise as possible till I'm out the estate. Some people just don't have any curtesy.
Maybe he's warming up his 2 stroke so it doesn't seize.

Man of Honour
I think a lot of young people go through a stage of having a loud car. Mine were only loud if I revved them (various V6s, and turbo hairdresser cars). I was always self conscious about being too noisy for neighbours. Always pulled away gently and as quietly as possible.

So I think loud cars are fine as long as they're not loud on idle or people are considerate with the throttle. Also remember cold starts tend to be louder as the engine warms up (it dumps more.fuel and opens up the throttle bodies a little more).

That said a neighbour of ours had a modified M5 with straight through exhausts and used to leave at 4am every day, that was less fun! However, I spoke to him and he changed cars for his commute which was decent of him.

Soldato
I think a lot of young people go through a stage of having a loud car. Mine were only loud if I revved them (various V6s, and turbo hairdresser cars). I was always self conscious about being too noisy for neighbours. Always pulled away gently and as quietly as possible.

So I think loud cars are fine as long as they're not loud on idle or people are considerate with the throttle. Also remember cold starts tend to be louder as the engine warms up (it dumps more.fuel and opens up the throttle bodies a little more).

Im in my 50s now and have a loud car although its absolutely standard but is pretty reasonable with the exhaust valves closed, the difference being I dont drive like a ******* in 30mph limits and annoy everyone. Like you, I try to be considerate so reserve driving full chat to country roads and dual carriageways/motorways

Man of Honour
Im in my 50s now and have a loud car although its absolutely standard but is pretty reasonable with the exhaust valves closed, the difference being I dont drive like a ******* in 30mph limits and annoy everyone. Like you, I try to be considerate so reserve driving full chat to country roads and dual carriageways/motorways

Does your LSD still clunk and cause chaos to your rear axle when reversing? :D

Soldato
Does your LSD still clunk and cause chaos to your rear axle when reversing? :D

Haha, that car went to the scrap heap in the sky a long time ago with some old man driving straight into it when it was parked outside my house. Makes me chuckle to myself on the old RR days when a load of you had to sit in the boot to stop the wheels spinning on the rollers

Man of Honour
Haha, that car went to the scrap heap in the sky a long time ago with some old man driving straight into it when it was parked outside my house. Makes me chuckle to myself on the old RR days when a load of you had to sit in the boot to stop the wheels spinning on the rollers

Ah the good ol' days

Man of Honour
Kids are idiots and don’t care about others. I speak as a former kid who didn’t care or think about others when I had my first car, a Mini with a Peco. I’d come home every night around 11:30pm making loads of noise not thinking about those trying to sleep. It wasn’t to annoy, it just never crossed mind.

These days as an old man my noisy car gets made quiet when I’m driving in built up areas at night. I think about others.

Caporegime
sometimes I hear a car that must be 2miles away going along a certain road into the city, it sounds like ww3 kicked off with the amount of explosions coming out of the exhaust pipe.

they need sound cameras :D

I'm guessing it;s not a young boy though cos it sounds pretty good probably a supercar with one of those techtronic exhausts gizmos with the different modes

Soldato
It used to be that, if your car popped and banged as you drove, you'd take it into the garage to get it checked... Now people take it there to MAKE it pop and fart.

I actually have no issue when it happens due to acceleration and actual overrun but when you have polos doing it at 20mph and 2000rpm, it's just daft.

There's a road near me which is a 30mph but by God do some people like to turn into it and see how fast they can go by the time they reach the peak of the hill as if it's an actual drag strip... Usually the DSG style boxes too, changing gears in ½ a second.

They think that, as it's not an actual residential street, the speed limit doesn't apply but it's a narrow road with junctions on it

Soldato
A Hoody jacket and a can of squirty foam is your friend.

Years ago a mate lived in a end semi and next block was further back than his so next doors drive was next to his gable wall- The lad that lived there had a car with the boomer system in it but he couldn't afford to tax and insurance it so sat in it every night with his girl friend with music blasting out keeping mates kid awake'
So he nipped down a pub he knew and give two junkies 50 quid to go pinch it and set fire to it.
Never had a problem after that - He also stayed in another pub till late for a good alibi. :)

Soldato
A Hoody jacket and a can of squirty foam is your friend.

Years ago a mate lived in a end semi and next block was further back than his so next doors drive was next to his gable wall- The lad that lived there had a car with the boomer system in it but he couldn't afford to tax and insurance it so sat in it every night with his girl friend with music blasting out keeping mates kid awake'
So he nipped down a pub he knew and give two junkies 50 quid to go pinch it and set fire to it.
Never had a problem after that - He also stayed in another pub till late for a good alibi. :)

Did he go and have a word with him first like a sensible and rational adult? :confused:

Associate
I’d take your people with loud exhausts over the guy in my building that slams his door so hard I feel vibrations through the walls.

He seems to open and close his door 40 times in the evenings.

I wonder if he’s trying to see how hard he needs to slam it to take it off the hinges….

I’d normally say something (politely initially) but as I’m only here temporarily I’m not even going to bother.

Soldato
I’d normally say something (politely initially) but as I’m only here temporarily I’m not even going to bother.

And that would be the correct way to start handling it. Perhaps he doesn't know it causes so much noise and issues for others (he could be hard of hearing)... On the other hand, he could just be a selfish idiot but, until you have that conversation, you won't know.

Once that's established, then you make the next moves from that.

Associate
And that would be the correct way to start handling it. Perhaps he doesn't know it causes so much noise and issues for others (he could be hard of hearing)... On the other hand, he could just be a selfish idiot but, until you have that conversation, you won't know.

Once that's established, then you make the next moves from that.

Absolutely. As you say sometimes people are taken aback, sincerely apologise and make a conscious effort to change.

Others take it the wrong way, have a chip on their shoulder and cause an argument.

You don't know until you have the conversation. If I was here longer I'd definitely mention it, but as things stand I'd rather avoid any potential issues if he is an idiot.

Back
Top Bottom