Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
It is an area not very well covered by the highway code - something which needs an update really. Overtaking on the left should generally be discouraged due to the safety side of it but when someone is doing significantly under a reasonable speed for the limit and conditions then it isn't unreasonable to pass them on the left with caution.

Personally I'd say if you are doing 70MPH on a NSL dual-carriageway or motorway in lane 1 and someone is doing like low 60s in lane 2 or 3 technically you are still keeping up with traffic even if there is nothing in front of you. And I'd argue going back to lane 1 if it is clear isn't to overtake it is simply resuming your journey after passing other traffic.

One that drives me up the wall a bit at multi-lane traffic lights when you get someone who goes out in lane 2 who never has any intention of getting going then ends up sitting out there stranded doing a fair bit below the limit and you have to be a bit cautious of passing them on the left in case they move over on you :(
I thought it's legal as you're passing on the left, and them hogging the middle of right lane is illegal these days.

Soldato
how much higher is related accident rate in the USA where you can use any lane .. and why haven't they revoked it there if it were a genuine safety issue.
just as many less maneuverable hgv's/semis on their interstates, but perhaps fewer near cities at rush hour.

There's a number of states that have the same rules as us with keeping to the right for the slow lane unless turning/overtaking. Although they also follow it about as strictly as we do.

Man of Honour
I thought it's legal as you're passing on the left, and them hogging the middle of right lane is illegal these days.
undertaking hasn't been illegal for a long time, as Roff says overtaking on the left is generally not best practise because you might wake up the person asleep in the wrong lane and they'll drive into you but as long as you're not hopping between lanes and nailing it to weave through traffic then you're not committing an offense AFAIK.

Soldato
Undertaking idiots dawdling in the middle lane of a motorway is probably safer than swooping out to lane 3 then back to lane one again to overtake them.
I used to do that in the vague hope it would wake them up and they'd move over but nope.

Associate
Undertaking idiots dawdling in the middle lane of a motorway is probably safer than swooping out to lane 3 then back to lane one again to overtake them.
I used to do that in the vague hope it would wake them up and they'd move over but nope.

Same here...

Seems safer to me to stay in your lane rather than trying to cross over 2 lanes to get to the outside lane, only to cut back across to the inside lane again.

Perhaps it's my age, but I really feel the standard of driving these days is dire.

Man of Honour
Last edited:
Associate
What's the specific offence that prohibits driving in the middle lane then? The highway code just says you should use the left lane except when overtaking or turning right.

I suspect there isn't one, and it would also come under 'careless driving'.

Associate
What's the specific offence that prohibits driving in the middle lane then? The highway code just says you should use the left lane except when overtaking or turning right.

I suspect there isn't one, and it would also come under 'careless driving'.

My understanding is that it's deemed to be "careless driving"

Don
My understanding is that it's deemed to be "careless driving"
Undertaking in itself wouldn’t be considered careless. I think the guidance that was updated a year or two ago was that as long as you weren’t swerving about between lanes it’s fine. I think the main thing would be was your speed appropriate and were you causing other drivers to swerve or brake in response to it.

Associate
Undertaking in itself wouldn’t be considered careless. I think the guidance that was updated a year or two ago was that as long as you weren’t swerving about between lanes it’s fine. I think the main thing would be was your speed appropriate and were you causing other drivers to swerve or brake in response to it.

That's what I thought, which is why I occasionally do it. But it's got me thinking now. As per my previous response. It would be ME that got done, that would really be my luck.

Commissario
They would be if they were given a fixed penalty for careless driving and decided to contest it.
As above, a single undertake is never going to incur a fixed penalty for careless driving.
Regularly swerving/weaving around traffic in a dangerous manor, perhaps so.

Soldato
As far as most cops are concerned an undertake is moving left from the lane you're in, passing a vehicle and then immediately returning to your original lane.

If you're already in lane 1 and remain in lane 1 for some time after passing a lane hogger in lane 2 then you're 'passing on the left'. This assumes you're travelling at or under the speed limit and the L2 hogger is travelling slower than you.

Cops in this situation will more likely to be interested in the L2 hogger. (well you'd think)

Back
Top Bottom