Your bad driving encounters

Soldato
Mixed story for the fuel side, the pickup
yes .. I made the comment to understand how much you might be concerned on fuel prices (even at current levels)

also, I don't believe used saloon cars have relatively higher 2nd hand values versus SUV's, but I'm not convinced their drivers have understood the price they pay at the pumps.
[I googled to see if it would give me the latest vernacular for an suv driver it amusingly threw this at me 2 weeks ago

5773.jpg

Alongside their growing popularity, there is also a determined momentum to crack down on their usage in European cities. In Paris, officials will introduce new parking charges next year for larger and heavier vehicles.

need to add that to the first trip to france thread
]
e: yes i realise you don't drive an suv, but think their drivers are generally less concerned by mpg.

e2: telegraph article uses term auto-besity -LOL - apparently Lyon already hiked suv parking prices - hopefully Khan reads this thread
Three price brackets will replace the current single price of the resident subscription at 20 euros per month. The first, set at 15 euros for large families, from three children, and residents with the lowest incomes, should concern one in two Lyon households, according to the municipality. It also includes electric vehicles “ with the exception of particularly bulky and impactful vehicles ”, as well as small thermal city cars weighing less than one tonne.

"A greater impact on the climate"​

The second tranche, at a monthly rate of 30 euros, will concern thermal vehicles from 1,000 to 1,725 kilos and rechargeable hybrids up to 1,900 kilos. Finally, the increased rate of 45 euros per month will concern the heaviest vehicles. Large SUVs and particularly bulky cars are in the sights of the environmental executive. “ Fairer ” pricing “ in the face of the challenges of public space congestion and climate emergency ”, supports the deputy mayor of Lyon in charge of urban logistics, Valentin Lungenstrass.

Last edited:
Soldato
It seems that a lot of the time the police don't want to take the illegal aspects into consideration, probably too much paperwork for them.

I have witnessed on MANY occasions where a driver has committed an offence in front of a marked unit and they've done bugger all, including one time where the offender dangerously cut up the police car.

Just last week I was driving home and a Golf being driven dangerously decided to tailgate a black Skoda, I'm talking inches from the rear bumper at 40mph.

Skoda flashes it's blues, golf backs off and then Skoda turns off instead of doing his job and stopping the Golf.

But the Skoda turned off towards the local cop shop so it must have been breaktime......

Caporegime
It isn't that simple - but in real world traffic conditions, terrain and the types of vehicle I drive the benefits of driving a bit slower are so marginal it isn't worthwhile. My style of driving is above average for fuel efficiency as well which I suspect offsets some potential gains from simple speed changes alone - I tend to much more smoothly hold momentum, avoiding acceleration, than most. Though in the QQ the driving analysis thing complains about my acceleration LOL while my scores for cruising and braking are high.

Yeah you have to basically accelerate at around 20 seconds for 0-60 to satisfy that! But you are right about the driving technique. Plus adding bonus that pads and disks last forever too. My boss, whose father was a trained Rolls Royce chauffeur, preaches all the time about how the key to smooth and economical driving is basically using no brakes. You know you are coming up to a junction then foot off accelerator several hundred yards before and let the engine breaking slow you down with perhaps a final touch on the brakes to bring you to a complete stop. Must drive people following him up the wall though!

Soldato
OP
Got an "am I the idiot?' scenario for you guys. Every time I travel on this road people try to drive into me. :D. This is the road in question:

Screenshot-2023-08-12-at-19-44-29.png

Imagine you or I are in the exact position of the Google maps car. There are nearly always cars parked on the left hand side and varying amounts of cars on the right. You're committed alongside the cars on the left (there is no gap to slot into) and approaching the white Vauxhall van on the right. Another car approaches from the opposite direction and you'll get to the Vauxhall at pretty much the same time. Whose right of way is it past the Vauxhall?

In this case it wasn't quite as bad as in the picture as there weren't as many cars on the left past the Vauxhall.

Soldato
Got an "am I the idiot?' scenario for you guys. Every time I travel on this road people try to drive into me. :D. This is the road in question:

Imagine you or I are in the exact position of the Google maps car. There are nearly always cars parked on the left hand side and varying amounts of cars on the right. You're committed alongside the cars on the left (there is no gap to slot into) and approaching the white Vauxhall van on the right. Another car approaches from the opposite direction and you'll get to the Vauxhall at pretty much the same time. Whose right of way is it past the Vauxhall?

In this case it wasn't quite as bad as in the picture as there weren't as many cars on the left past the Vauxhall.
Looks like plenty of space to drive inside the centre line, even moreso on the white van side. Has either party crossed the line, is that what you mean by commit?

Drive to your left of the centre line and you're fine IMO.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

If you're already committed then you have right of way.

Soldato
OP
Looks like plenty of space to drive inside the centre line, even moreso on the white van side. Has either party crossed the line, is that what you mean by commit?

Drive to your left of the centre line and you're fine IMO.

I wouldn't say there's plenty of space, you probably can pass but it's very tight.

Yes, by commit I mean already passing cars on the left and partly over the white line.

Associate
I would say you have right of way as there is no space for you to safely use and the opposing traffic can pull in-between the van an car.

Last edited:
Soldato
Marquiss of Queensbury rules - God knows what you do in the ghetto
give priority to the person who arrives first and enters the road section where there is only room for one car to pass, and usually flash them to say you are giving way

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Funny one from tonight that reminded me of this thread. Driving home through the M25 at midnight and see a European RS6 (new shape) up in front in middle lane, a Merc S class is tailing him and they are both gunning it, then slowing down at the gantries for the speed cameras, then back up again. At one point they are both going slow in the middle lane so I go to overtake and fall back in but as I reach the RS6 he floors it each time.

Anyway this happens for some miles and at each gantry where a camera exists, Waze pops up with an alert and by this point I see the S Class is wanting to hoon it again. I move back into lane 1 as up ahead Waze points out another camera but this one isn't visible as tree/bushes completely block it until you are alongside the gantry by which point it's too late to kill speed enough to not get flashed. I'm doing a bit over 70 on the needle in lane 1 so all fine whilst RS6 and S class are several car lengths ahead in the middle lanes hooning each other. I wonder if I should flash them as a warning or not and remember the antics RS6 pulled earlier.

Both cars get flashed, I think I counted about 6 flashes as they take multiple pics of the same car.

Enjoy your fines and points bozos :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Funny one from tonight that reminded me of this thread. Driving home through the M25 at midnight and see a European RS6 (new shape) up in front in middle lane, a Merc S class is tailing him and they are both gunning it, then slowing down at the gantries for the speed cameras, then back up again. At one point they are both going slow in the middle lane so I go to overtake and fall back in but as I reach the RS6 he floors it each time.

Anyway this happens for some miles and at each gantry where a camera exists, Waze pops up with an alert and by this point I see the S Class is wanting to hoon it again. I move back into lane 1 as up ahead Waze points out another camera but this one isn't visible as tree/bushes completely block it until you are alongside the gantry by which point it's too late to kill speed enough to not get flashed. I'm doing a bit over 70 on the needle in lane 1 so all fine whilst RS6 and S class are several car lengths ahead in the middle lanes hooning each other. I wonder if I should flash them as a warning or not and remember the antics RS6 pulled earlier.

Both cars get flashed, I think I counted about 6 flashes as they take multiple pics of the same car.

Enjoy your fines and points bozos :cry:
I don't think I've ever seen evidence of anyone being fined on the motorway for doing over 70 unless a lower speed is posted. I got flashed doing 76 the other day, I'm not worried.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Same old moan but again today approaching the start of the dual-carriageway into town car two in front is turning left just before, we are still in the 40, car in front of me doesn't move into lane 2 so I do, doing a good 40, after going past both and the other car has turned off the car which was in front of me is now accelerating up my left despite I'm clearly going to want to move back over... get to the speed limit change and I put my foot down leaving them far behind...

Stop to do some shopping and despite the car park being 2/3rds empty and parking slightly away from the main area a minute later someone comes and parks right next to me then squeezed themselves out looking at me like I'm to blame...

Seriously...

Soldato
partly explains why there is so much bad driving - should have those learner driver plates post test like other countries, to give you a heads up

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/martine-mccutcheon-helps-nervous-motorists-215625624.html Aug 16

Research by the insurer Churchill has found 50% of adults who passed their test over the age of 30 feel nervous when driving and they feel the pressure even more than younger motorists. Actress Martine McCutcheon can relate to new drivers, and sometimes still struggles with nerves, even after almost 30 years of driving. With more than 130,000 people aged 30 or older passing their driving test each year it has been found that more than a third (35%) of new older drivers were nervous being in the car on their own after getting their licence. Despite many older drivers enjoying a newfound sense of freedom more than a third (36%) would prefer more practice to help build confidence before going on the roads alone. Some 57% said they avoid tricky manoeuvres due to nerves while 47% choose to only drive during the day. This lack of confidence is stopping new older motorists being able to enjoy driving, with 30% worrying about damaging their cars

Back
Top Bottom