Your bad driving encounters

Man of Honour
Incident yesterday which I may have to be a witness for.

This is actually a very scary situation - when I was a kid we were behind the bus only the bus in this case was a large horsebox and there was no junction in the middle of the road - just as the horsebox slowed to let someone out the road on their left, who was turning to their right, a motorbike pulled out from the back of the queue behind the horsebox and went warp speed down the other side - right into the car turning out as it appeared from behind the horsebox. Rider went spinning through the air and was decapitated on hitting a fence.

On a different note joined a dual-carriageway coming home tonight to find someone with their reverse lights on in lane 1, went past them in lane 2 and in my rear view saw them indicate left, swing out wide and then drive forward perpendicular to the road straight up/over the bank beside the road until stopped by the hedge/fence. Dunno what that was about, couldn't really stop to investigate. Being a Saturday night probably had a bit too much to drink or something.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is actually a very scary situation - when I was a kid we were behind the bus only the bus in this case was a large horsebox and there was no junction in the middle of the road - just as the horsebox slowed to let someone out the road on their left, who was turning to their right, a motorbike pulled out from the back of the queue behind the horsebox and went warp speed down the other side - right into the car turning out as it appeared from behind the horsebox. Rider went spinning through the air and was decapitated on hitting a fence.

On a different note joined a dual-carriageway coming home tonight to find someone with their reverse lights on in lane 1, went past them in lane 2 and in my rear view saw them indicate left, swing out wide and then drive forward perpendicular to the road straight up/over the bank beside the road until stopped by the hedge/fence. Dunno what that was about, couldn't really stop to investigate. Being a Saturday night probably had a bit too much to drink or something.

And yet all the campaigns we see involving biker safety put the onus on other road users and barely anything telling bikers to ride correctly.

Man of Honour
The main issue is that there are less proper bikers these days. Instead, we have crotch replacement riders.

Saying that I have spent a good part of my life with Bikers and at Rally's since the 70s and half of them walk with a limp.
My bass player (64) had a bad accident doing 70 in a 40 and still suffers from memory loss, but embarrassing on the stage :)
Went to another Biker funeral last week of a lifetime Biker doing silly stuff.

Associate
Driving out yesterday and had a car leap frog overtaking and they tried to pass me with the car in front indicating to turn right, so they had gone over double white lines and a hatched area for a right turn junction. They only just managed to get slowed down and to pull in, then they were off again. Those sort of drivers should lose their licence permanently irrespective of the fact they may lose their jobs.

Associate
motorscootercrossing.jpg

I wasn't the bus driver involved in this one but Saturday morning 50 yards or so back down that road I had a van reverse out of his drive into the side of my bus as I was driving up the bank.

Man of Honour
I wasn't the bus driver involved in this one but Saturday morning 50 yards or so back down that road I had a van reverse out of his drive into the side of my bus as I was driving up the bank.

That's something you definitely have to watch for all the time, people reversing out, I live on that right turn and then left.
The first house I lived in was on that bank opposite the shops back in 1958.

Soldato
Imo should be law to reverse onto drives like that, its a bit more inconvenient when pulling on, but pulling out is far safer (pun intended). I don't understand what goes through people's heads (im think not a lot) that think it's safe to reverse onto a main road.

Soldato
OK you've added photos of the bus incident location - expected it to be a rural location 40/50mph . not a 30mph town road
given the bollards the biker can't have been going so fast - looks even more like the driver pulled out obliquely at speed expecting road to be clear, did bike hit the car on the side or front.

Associate
I agree, I always reverse onto my drive as it does have slightly restricted view when a car is parked on the pull-in on the right as I drive out.

Man of Honour
Imo should be law to reverse onto drives like that, its a bit more inconvenient when pulling on, but pulling out is far safer (pun intended). I don't understand what goes through people's heads (im think not a lot) that think it's safe to reverse onto a main road.

To be honest some of those drives are bad to reverse up.
40 years ago I nearly bought the house on the right, so glad I didn't because I've got the flattest and widest drive.

reversing.jpg

Man of Honour
OK you've added photos of the bus incident location - expected it to be a rural location 40/50mph . not a 30mph town road
given the bollards the biker can't have been going so fast - looks even more like the driver pulled out obliquely at speed expecting road to be clear, did bike hit the car on the side or front.

But he was riding on a portion of the road that you're not supposed to be on, the crossed lines, all 3 witnesses made this very clear to the Police.
The car behnd the bus who refused to be a witness was positive the scooter came down on the right side past the crossings, me (Car A) and Car E couldn't have swore that in court though, all I could say was he was on the crossed white lines heading for my car.

Man of Honour

You have to learn to quote :(

No, back in 1983 I used to work on a lot of cars and that drive would have been a PITA and I ended up a side street with a nice flat wide drive which was perfect.
Got to say at 64 my wife would have a problem now reversing up that drive.
Also in winter a lot of them can't get their cars up those drives.

Caporegime
Not an encounter as such, but saw this earlier.

Doh. :cry:

There is a lot to be said limited newly qualified drivers as to what car they can drive. In my class at school, one of the rich kids got a XR2i to learn to drive in and then when he passed his test, he got a Ferrrari 308GTB. No way did he have the skills needed to drive a performance car like that.

Back
Top Bottom