your commute

Man of Honour
20 minutes on a good day, 40 on a normal one and up to an hour on a day when people dropping their kids off to school suddenly have a retard moment and forget how to drive at an acceptable pace and not hesitate at every roundabout!

Doesn't bother me though, almost the roads are long and 40MPH so when it does open up you can achieve some progress in no time =]

Associate
40ish mins on my bike. Although the ride in this morning absolutely sucked. Wind, rain, and then once I took my gloves off after they got drenched, almighty hailstones. **** you weather. **** you...

Associate
10min walk to work (down steep hill), 12min walk home (up steep hill). Only problem is I have to pass quite a number of hazardous ***** school kids.

[edit] when I say "pass" I mean "walk past" rather than anything proctological.

Last edited:
Soldato
An hour and fifteen, each way. Lovely clear roads and relatively little traffic, so a very 'easy' drive.

I occasionally would like it to be closer to 30 or 40 minutes but we have to drive cars in our job anyway. As a result, it saves me having to make time during the day to drive. Although I occasionally do, however, just to get out of the office.

I know someone whose commute, due to the winter weather, is now 3.5hrs each way. I reckon it'll kill them, soon.

Soldato
27 miles from Basingstoke to Bracknell for me. Usually takes around 40 ish minutes depending on how screwed the M3 is (which in the mornings, around Fleet services area usually seems to involve coming to a standstill for a few minutes for no reason at all). That said, I'm out of the office a lot and driving all over the place anyway so it doesn't bother me so much. A nice 400 or so mile trip for me tomorrow so that'll be like a 6 hour commute :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Usually my Commute would be 1 hour and 15 minutes (Swindon to Uxbridge) at 5:30/5:45 in the morning to start at 7am (4 pm finish Monday to Thursday, 12:30 on a Friday!!).

But starting this week (on a trial basis)... My Commute this morning was probly 3 minutes and that included switching the Kettle on as I passed the kitchen!..

Monday - Still Uxbridge,
Tuesday - Home :)
Wednesday - Uxbridge,
Thursday - Home :D
Friday - Uxbridge.

Should half my Petrol/Travel cost, and I won't be as tired and have to go to bed at 9pm every night!! :cool:

You're too lucky lol

GAC

GAC

Soldato
current comute is none as im not working but iv done 90 mins before and its just idiotic. arriving at work stressed and ready to swing at somebody is not the way to go, let alone the same feeling when your going home.

half an hours about my limit now, iv done my share of silly oclock get up's and getting home 2-3 hours after iv finished to last me. only time il ever think about such things again is if there is a good payday at the end of it.

Associate
I've been doing 45 minutes each way for the past year. Sometimes I absolutely hate it, the idea of wasting 1.5 hours a day sat in the car does my head in.

There is a decent rail link up the valleys that I would use, but rather than go to my nearest station, it goes to Cardiff 12 miles away.

Thankfully I'm back to my local site for 2 days this week so a 5 minute drive.

Soldato
Depends on the day of the week if I'm going into the office (approx 3 times a week) 30minutes there 45 minutes home the other days the 30 seconds it takes to walk from the front bedroom to the back bedroom.

I hate the normal comute with a passion it's such a waste of time I could be using productively elsewhere and when you add in the hour wasted as a 'lunch break' in a location with nothing to do it is seriously pushing me more and more towards home working! That and the petrol savings are excellent!

For me to even comtemplate a 2hr each way comute I would need to be desperate or the salary would need to be double and the job awsome.

Man of Honour
Can vary from 30 minutes to over 2hrs one way. It's part and parcel of my role, I need to be on site rather than work remotely (which I do do sometimes). It's a bind at times, but it's just a question of getting up early when I have to. I often spend between 6-10hrs on site sometimes more, depending on what's going on. It's not too bad, I can work my own hours really, and as long as I get my things done the boss is happy.

Soldato
My commute is 25 miles each way, takes around 30 minutes, only annoying when you get stuck behind someone doing 45/50 on the single carriageway NSL road, which frankly is virtually every day! Get a long bank half way down that road though where you can normally overtake the slow ones. (about a mile of visible road so it's great for passing a queue when nothing is coming the other way!)

Soldato
Just under an hour...

Walk to Station (15m)
Overground Train, change after 2 stops (30min)
Walk to Office (5m)

I have driven in a couple of times (~17 miles) but takes longer, some times an hour and a half due to traffic. Only drive now when the kids are off school :)

I've always done long comutes into London for a good few years now (Ranging from an hour and 5 just on the train!) my comute now is just outside of London.

ntg

ntg

Associate
A few weeks ago I started timing my commute.

After two weeks I was able to work out the my average commute to work lasted around 1 hour and 45mins. The commute home is around 2 hours.

I have to admit before accepting my new job I couldn't see myself being bothered with such a lengthy commute. However, as the months roll on I do find myself becoming more annoyed with this commute.

I don't know..... Perhaps I should just be happy I have a job and stop the moaning.

How does your commute to and from work take (on average)?

I got almost the same commute as you (about 1:30-1:45 each way). I can tell you that after a few years it will grind you down. I've been doing it for about 4 years now and it's driving me insane, especially due to FGW being consistently late every single day (or slow running..grrrrrrrrrr). Thank god I'm moving out in a few weeks to London, halving my commute (yeeeehhhhh!!!!!!!!!).

My advice would be to do whatever you can to move closer to work. Spending more on rent etc. is well worth it if you can halve your commuting time.

Back
Top Bottom