1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

your commute

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DAIR, Dec 6, 2011.

1. h00fzilla

Hitman

About 2-3 seconds - walk from bedroom to lounge (I work from home) :D

2. WillyNelson

Soldato

I live on the coast and work on the edge of the M25 so my commute is anywhere between 1:40-2hrs on the way and the same on the way home. And all for the bargain sum of £230 a month.

Been doing it for just under a year now and I've sort of got used to it. The worst part is that I maybe get to see my daughter for 30min on a weekday if I'm lucky :( I used to only have a 2mile journey which was great, lots of quality time when she was a baby and sleep until 7:30. However, redundancy put a stop to that and a £10k payrise tempted me to my current job.

3. clv101

Sgarrista

Long daily commutes are just daft in my book. About 5 years ago I spent a year doing ~50 minute each way commutes and hated it, such a waste of time, and fairly expensive considering fuel and miles of the car.

Spending 3hr 45min on the road each day as the OP does is just crazy. What's that, 150 miles+, 750+ a week at a cost of ~£100 a week in fuel alone, before you consider the ware and tear on the car. I'd never consider a job that involved that, or if I did take the job, I'd move house. My time is far too valuable to me to waste it sitting on the road like that. Your commute is costing you something like £500 a month and 75 hours of your time, crazy.

Today, my commute is a 15 minute bike ride each way.

4. utajoker

Capodecina

6 minutes in 6 minutes home.

I wouldn't travel more then 40 mins to work unless the salary was ridiculous.

5. robj20

Sgarrista

Average is about 4 mins walking, fastest i have got home is 1 min 40 seconds on my bike.

6. PMKeates

Capodecina

Office 1: 3 seconds each way
    Office 2: 1-2 hours each way
    Office 3: 5 hours each way

7. Vince

Man of Honour

Mine is pretty long... in the new year it will be longer. As it stands im 1 hour from thorpe bay to fenchurch street, In the new years its thorpe bay to holborn which means a longer commute at about 1hour 20 mins. I do it all on the train but couldn't earn close locally.

8. Docaroo

Mobster

I have a 25 minute commute through the countryside which is absolutely great!

I wouldn't ever continually commute more than 40 minutes to work, I would move closer to work in that case.

Spending too much time travelling each day is not good for a nice standard of living - I personally wouldn't do a commute of more than 1 hr.

9. Participant

Caporegime

:cool:

10. ubersonic

Capodecina

What time are in work for? and what time do you have to wake up to make it?

11. King Damager

Capodecina

00:04:20 on a bike into uni- p.b. that one. Might try and break it today if I'm bored. But it relies a bit on traffic lights as to how long it takes.

I used to do an hour to school and back daily though, so 2 hours total commute. I think I'd happily manage that now a swell. Not sure I could do more than that. Ideally when I leave uni, I want a distance that's bikeable in under 20 minutes.

kd

12. DAIR

Sgarrista

I don't drive in. As I've said that would be even worse.

I currently spend £5 each day on travel... Slightly less on gym days as I don't finish until 7pm (train fairs are cheaper after 7).

13. King Damager

Capodecina

Guessing you work from home? xD

kd

14. tidusjar

Mobster

Get up inbetween 7-7:30am, leave to catch the bus at 8:30am, into college around 9:05am, starts at 9:15am.

15. Vince

Man of Honour

I thought most people were similar to me and used their commute as an extension of bed time.

16. PMKeates

Capodecina

;)

Either home, 60 miles away or 600 miles away. I'm currently 600 miles away.

17. paradigm

Caporegime

Typically 6 minutes door to door, 25 if I cycle it, 45 if I walk it.

18. mrk

Man of Terrible Jokes

I hope most people don't sleep and drive!

19. DAIR

Sgarrista

Need to be in for 9.

I try to wake up for around 6am but usually end up waking up at 6.30. I leave my place at around 7.15

20. krooton

Capodecina

Long commutes suck if you spend all your time doing the commuting (car, bike, etc), but I don't mind my hour+ each way on the tube as I can listen to music, play games, read comics and watch tv shows.