your commute

Soldato
An hour and 20 minutes door to door. It used to be two hours. My next job will be 30 mins max - after 4 years i've had enough!!

On the plus side - I quite enjoy the journey home. It's one train all the way and the key is to be loaded with entertainment. I never have less than a book, audio book, comic, video games (laptop and 3DS), ipod, movie/tv series in my bag at one time. The more the better :)

Soldato
I commute 66-67 miles a day 33 miles there and 33 back, which takes me around an hour each way, unless there is stupidly bad traffic, like when a lorry catches fire in the middle of the motorway tunnel :(

I have been doing a 60/65 mile round trip now for 6 years so I got used to it through two jobs.

Soldato
I commute 65 miles a day, which takes me around an hour each way, unless there is stupidly bad traffic, like when a lorry catches fire in the middle of the motorway tunnel :(
65 miles in an hour is amazing tbh. My 60 mile Office 2 journey is maybe as little as 1 hour on the quietest drive home, but almost every morning it takes 2 hours. M25 ftmfl.

Soldato
65 miles in an hour is amazing tbh. My 60 mile Office 2 journey is maybe as little as 1 hour on the quietest drive home, but almost every morning it takes 2 hours. M25 ftmfl.

Not 65 in an hour (although that could easily be done on a standard to quiet day) :p

65 miles a day, so that includes my return :o

It takes me around an hour in the morning to do around 33-35 miles during rush hour as the traffic can be quite heavy coming off a few main junctions and roads near Cardiff.

I don't envy you at all having to take the M25 :)

Fuel cost wise I probably spend around £170-£180 a month (Diesel) with an average of £45-£50 fuel per week and an average MPG of 48-51mpg unless I am feeling non-eco and increase the crusing speed :) luckily my car has 6 gears so a bit easier on the fuel on the motorway.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Without any train problems, which is rare, I can go door-to-door within a single hour. The journey home always takes longer because the trains are driven slower.

It costs me £220 per month to travel less than 17 miles each way.

I catch an overground train to Stratford, then I change on to the Central Line and get off at St Paul's.

The overground trains are terrible, it is those trains from the 60s where everyone is facing each other and you have about half a foot of a seat to sit on. That is if you are lucky enough to get a seat, otherwise you will be squeezed in to the standing area by the door. The seats have no cushions and you can barely see out the window, as the outside has never been washed. The train goes so slow, you could get out and run faster than it sometimes. The trains break down at least once a week and constant door malfunctions.

Good old national express

www.nationalexpresseastanglia.com/

They should take the express out of their name, a bit of an inside joke for them.

thanks for correcting my lazy typing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Without any train problems, which is rare, I can go door-to-door within a single hour. The journey home always takes longer because the trains are driven slower.

It costs me £220 per month to travel less than 17 miles each way.

I catch an overground train to Stratford, then I change on to the Central Line and alight at St Paul's.

Associate
My Girlfriend commutes about 45 mins each day. She gets sod all pay as well and very often has to work a half day on a sat because everyone else is doing "other" things so they can't do it.

She's getting walked all over but wont listen to me.

Associate
My commute is 5 minutes when I hit all green traffic lights, and about 9 minutes if not.
My neighbour makes me laugh, she spends 10 minutes defrosting her car, leaving it running on her drive and then drives 18 seconds (I've measured it!!) halfway to her work and then walks the rest. Unbelievable

Soldato
For almost three years I did a 120 mile round trip (Oxfordshire to West London). Mornings were normally fine as leaving at around 6 o'clock I missed most of the traffic. Coming back in the evening was a lottery, depending on what was happening on the M40 it could take anything from just over an hour to my worst day which was 4 hours and 20 minutes!!! Glad I don't have to suffer that any longer.

TMP

TMP

Associate
1 Hour; 1 packed-like-sardines overground train, 1 shuffle through crowded Waterloo, 1 reasonably packed-like-sardines underground train, 1 5min walk through tourist infested west-end.

Thats for a direct distance of 4.7miles.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom