Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Do you run the useless red sea valve full open and controll it with the ball valve further down?

Been looking at options to replace that worthless thing myself

This is my sump at the moment.

0kUIUOY.jpg

Thinking of replacing the connector for thr clarisea with a ball valve instead and removing the diaghram from the red sea thing

Soldato
No i just gurgles if i leave it open, the ball valve was used from the old piping i had for the theiling rollermat, i am putting the red sea sump back in just got to measure for some custom baffles so i can put the xfilter where i really want it, hate these small sumps red sea make they should taken out the divider that is used for the chiller, we don't need a chiller in the uk lol.

Soldato
No i just gurgles if i leave it open, the ball valve was used from the old piping i had for the theiling rollermat, i am putting the red sea sump back in just got to measure for some custom baffles so i can put the xfilter where i really want it, hate these small sumps red sea make they should taken out the divider that is used for the chiller, we don't need a chiller in the uk lol.

Mines not the red sea one, mine is this one,

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/sump-80cm/

Fits perfectly in the 250 cabinet and had the built ro res so saves keeping a container outside. Its just big enough for me.

Have you tried doing as i suggested and run the red sea one full open and controll with the ball valve? Should give much more controll, i find im constantly fiddling with the red sea one to stop the trickling noise down the emergency drain

Soldato
I hate my redsea sump too but as iv got the nano im very limited for options other than custom. Even the smallest acrylic sumps by tmc etc are bigger than i can fit :( Ideally i want dual sock slots so i can run two socks or cup over 1 ( as 1 clogs too fast imho ) or room for a roller, adjustable sump section and return pump area with a bubble trap or sponge of some type

Soldato
I hate my redsea sump too but as iv got the nano im very limited for options other than custom. Even the smallest acrylic sumps by tmc etc are bigger than i can fit :( Ideally i want dual sock slots so i can run two socks or cup over 1 ( as 1 clogs too fast imho ) or room for a roller, adjustable sump section and return pump area with a bubble trap or sponge of some type

Roller filter was the best thing ive ever bought, socks are just a no go anymore getting rid of the socks got rid of 90% of
My Problems. They are just nitrate factories unless changed daily, sponge is even worse imo as it never gets changed!

Where abouts do you live, when i used to have an old 90ltr tank that i turned into a reef tank i had a custom sump made. Worked out really well and wasnt expensive either

http://m.ndaquatics.co.uk/?utm_sour...=ndaquatics_main&utm_campaign=ndaquatics_main

Soldato
Ok so its been like over 5 weeks since I had a bubble tip anemone (still have it which is good), I manage to get the Nitrates down to about 5 to 10ppm. Now my problem is that whenever I put the lights on blue or white or both it will start closing up.
I am right in thinking that it doesn't like that light. It is similar to these- TMC AquaBeam 2000HD. I also seen that these anemone need high intense light which is why Im trying to find more suitable light for it?

Cheers

Soldato
Ok so its been like over 5 weeks since I had a bubble tip anemone (still have it which is good), I manage to get the Nitrates down to about 5 to 10ppm. Now my problem is that whenever I put the lights on blue or white or both it will start closing up.
I am right in thinking that it doesn't like that light. It is similar to these- TMC AquaBeam 2000HD. I also seen that these anemone need high intense light which is why Im trying to find more suitable light for it?

Cheers

They dont need high intense light in my experience. Most of mine moved to the bottom of the tank to get away from
The light.

Do youR lights only have blue or white as an option?, you should just run the whites and add blue untill you like to look of it really if thats the case. Search for some
Other users with your lights and see if they have a profile you can use

Would post a pic of my light setup but not much good to you if you only have blue and white available unfortunatly

Soldato
My little eaReef is coming on quite nicely. Fish plastered to the glass waiting for food! Acans and lobos are looking a bit sulky as my leopard puffer took a liking to them but he's been caught out now so they should recover OK.

Associate
Can anyone recommend a starter fish tank? I wanted a clean and simple set-up. I don't mind getting things individually if it means a better setup. It may end up in the kitchen so a lid is a must I suppose?

Ideally want something 30/40L to allow me to keep some Tetras and maybe some Shrimps and Snails. I also wanted a Betta but unsure at the moment as little one would prefer more fish.

Should I steer well clear of nano tanks?

The intended space is about 50cm hence looking for a smaller tank for now.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fluval Flex? They do a 34L and a 57L, I'd go for the larger one, it fits in with your space requirements (41x39x39).

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/uk/freshwater/aquariums/series/flex/

Small (but not too small), all in one system, has a lid, light and filter, just add a heater.

Fluval is generally good quality compared in the small tank market, its available everywhere for under £150. Pets at Home regularly have it on offer for £120 and they do right now.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...luval-flex-glass-aquarium-57-litre?orderBy=1#

Soldato
Yeah the flex is a good shout. We sell tons of them in my shop and very few issues. The lights will grow easier plants ok and the filtration on them is great for the size.

They're even cheaper than P@H in Maidenhead Aquatics at the moment.

Associate
The platy have been busy :p

vXoSjyY.jpg.png 2fTCZau.jpg.png

Really difficult to get a half decent picture using a phone camera. 3 of these little guys swimming about now and I have see at least 1 more tiny fry. To say I am surprised is an understatement considering that originally these 2 platy I put in were only going to be in there temporarily, but they have settled in nice.

My little eaReef is coming on quite nicely. Fish plastered to the glass waiting for food! Acans and lobos are looking a bit sulky as my leopard puffer took a liking to them but he's been caught out now so they should recover OK.

That's a really nice setup you have there! Love the colours.

Associate
Fluval Flex? They do a 34L and a 57L, I'd go for the larger one, it fits in with your space requirements (41x39x39).

http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/uk/freshwater/aquariums/series/flex/

Small (but not too small), all in one system, has a lid, light and filter, just add a heater.

Fluval is generally good quality compared in the small tank market, its available everywhere for under £150. Pets at Home regularly have it on offer for £120 and they do right now.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/p...luval-flex-glass-aquarium-57-litre?orderBy=1#

Thanks for the recommendation. I had originally discounted this when saw in the shop and went looking for a traditional rectangular setup but having looked at some videos for inspiration and this Insta feed it seems it has plenty of scope.

I think I'm leaning towards the 34L setup over the 57L as it may work better for me depth wise and need be overly dominant in the kitchen but will have a final look this week.

Can anyone recommend a substrate and some rocks and/or wood to take centre stage and some basic plants to spruce it up? Most videos are from the US so will see what the local store has and have a tinker.

Thank you.

Soldato
Depends on what you want, what you have available locally and if you are willing to buy blind online.

For a planted tank I wouldn’t recommend anything other than a soil type substrate now but it is rather expensive. I’m using the tropica one but the ADA, JBL, Fluval etc versions are all fine. For a small tank I would get the smaller grain size for tropica it’s referred to as ‘powder’.

As for rocks/wood you really are limited to what’s available unless you want to buy online and this is typically blind so you don’t know what you are getting. In my experience most local stores are pretty poor when it comes to decent rock and wood.

Also if you are going planted I would suggest a rimless tank but again these are more expensive but the tank it’s self wont dominate the room as much because they don’t have thick bezels, lids and use clear silicone instead of black. They also make the content of the tank stand out much more.

I have a Denerle scapers tank which is nice. Aquarium Gardens also have a line of small rimless tanks which are rectangular rather than cubes.

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/glass-aquariums-98-c.asp

I have this kit which is a good starter kit:

https://www.aquariumgardens.co.uk/dennerle-scapers-tank-complete-35l-led-1548-p.asp

It comes with a basic light and filter which are fine for low demanding plants, you just need to add a small heater. It also has a lid but you don’t need to use it, if you run it without the lid you can get creative with bits of wood and plants coming out the top.

George farmer also just did a Fluval Flex setup with everything bought from pets at home, it’s worth a watch. Search George Farmer on YouTube.

Soldato
Hi guys I really need some advice.

I've just been given a 2 year old 46 litre Fluval Edge tank that I'm wanting to set up for my lads 10th birthday, all original stuff except for the filter. It's been at least 18 years since I've kept fish, what advice have you guys got?

I'd like to go tropical, maybe a couple of Oscars?

Soldato
Are you sure those are the fish you are thinking of? Oscars get huge. Like get 12+" huge.

The edge is a pretty unique tank due to its dimensions. It has a small footprint and is quite tall so you are limited to very small fish only. Guppies, small Tetras (embers, glow light etc), betta, shrimp, small danios/rasbora/barbs and stuff like that will do fine.

A lot of people will say you need to spend 4-6 weeks doing a fish less cycle to get the bacteria established but you can get past this by using a good filter starter product or getting some filter material from an established tank and adding fish slowly.

Soldato
My dad had some oscars, don't remember them being that big but it was a long time ago.

Was thinking of maybe buying a new filter anyway if its 2 years old any particular filter or starter products you'd recommend?

Soldato
I just double checked and Oscars can get up to 18" and 1.6kg in weight, 12"-15" is very normal for a full grown captive bread specimen. They are very big fish.

The Fluval edge is an 'all in one' type kit and comes with a filter, its proprietary IIRC and cannot be easily replaced with anything else. If its broken I would get get another OEM one from Fluval otherwise its fine, just carry on using it. They are more than adequate for the tank.

I have personally used Fluval Cycle, it was fine. Other reputable products are API quick start, Seachem Stability, Tetra Safe Start.

The risk with bottled bacteria is that if it's not stored correctly (too hot, too cold, too old) then it doesn't work. You can't really overdose it so adding more isn't a problem.

For water conditioner I would recommend Seachem Prime, not only does it sort out the chlorine, it also binds to ammonia and nitrite and makes it non-toxic to fish which is handy if you make a mistake. Note it doesn't actually remove it, you still need to address the route cause quickly. But honestly anything from any of the major brands is fine.

Back
Top Bottom