Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Surely the prime is being fully distributed by you filling the tank.

I just dump Seachem Safe (powdered prime) in the tank and fill the tank straight up out the tap.

Likely and I don't think ive ever had an ill affects this way, but I always think at the back of my mind there must be a moment in time where there trace amounts of chlorine flowing through. I keep the filter off on water changes but there's arguments there that the bacteria need the water flow to stay alive! damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Soldato
Trace amounts of chorine are not going to kill off anything.

Think of it like medicine, it only works with a high enough dosage. Using half the amount for twice as long is not the same as using the proper dose for the right length of time. The bacteria also doesn’t die instantly, it takes time.

Low concentrations in tap water work because it is in a sealed pipe for a fair length of time before it hits your tap and it’s pressurised. As soon as it comes our of your tap the chlorine starts breaking down and gassing off. The more you agitate it (by filling a bucket and pouring it in a tank) the quicker this happens. You then add water conditioner into the mix.

The concentration in straight tap water is enough to cause problems but then you are straight away diluting that by 50%-75% in a tank with water conditioner so you can see the risks drop dramatically.

Soldato
There are overall issues with rimless if they are built correctly. You just need much thicker glass for the same size tank.

As for that specific tank, it is very cheap for low iron glass and minimal silicone, they are normally much more expensive than that for a tank of that size.

The evolution aqua tanks are very high quality but they are more than twice the price for a smaller tank.

Soldato
As above, your options are evolution aqua which do very high quality tanks at a price. Or take it to a custom maker like Seashell or ND aquatics.
All this talk of a water change.. What are those :') Id be lucky if my 2ft cube see's a water change in 6 months. (I am heavy planted though no algae present my nutrients are so low my plants actually die without ferts now)

Soldato
I've set a tank up for the first time in a decade. It's been running fine for the past month, the water parameters are spot on. But now I've noticed what looks like mouth fungus on 3 of my Rasboras. All the other fish seem fine so far.

What's the best way to deal with this? Dose the whole tank and let the treatment "clean" everything or just dip the effected 3?

Soldato
Treat the whole tank, make sure you follow the instructions all the way through even if symptoms go away.

You will want to consider the root cause, fish sickness is often a concequence of something else.

Usual suspects are:
General Water quality (not just ammonia or nitrite)
Stress
Aggression
Food (too much, too little)

Soldato
I think they might have been infected before I got them or it's a secondary infection from an injury. It doesn't seem to be progressing very quickly and they are still eating fine. I did try salt bathing them for around 20 mins and it reduced it quite a lot, but was visible again the next day. I might try something like paraguard.

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone gone down the silk fake plant route? Being a novice I was contemplating mixing some fakes with real or going all fake to begin with along with some stones and wood.

Pay day is looming so hopefully ordering the bits before the end of the month.

Soldato
I find fake plants just get manky after a while. Real ones all the way :)

I try to use real everything. Stones, driftwood, plants etc. I made a hide out of a coconut shell.

Associate
Has anyone gone down the silk fake plant route? Being a novice I was contemplating mixing some fakes with real or going all fake to begin with along with some stones and wood.

Pay day is looming so hopefully ordering the bits before the end of the month.

Yes brought some 4 months ago they have been sucked to death from my pleco, and have now turned from green to brown with alge where she has sucked it to death they was really nice for the first couple of months.

It Might have been a different story if I did not have her , she distroys Every plant I put in fake or real not sure if I will miss her when she goes lol.

Back
Top Bottom