Youtube & Ads

Soldato
I've noticed a lot of content creators themselves are adding adverts to their actual videos, for like Skillshare or a VPN etc, i just skip them. ADblock does the job for me with YT ads though on my PC / laptop. Rarely watch on my phone but i'll check Vanced out.

Soldato
Meh i have a premium sub. Vanced is unreliable on Android (IME), isnt available on other platforms, ublock in general causes me more grief than it's worth and for all the good stuff my Pi-hole does, youtube ad blocking is still a pain. So i got a premium sub. which also covers music. for the household. Not the cheapest method, but no more ads on any platform.

Soldato
There are ways to avoid the ads but at the end of the day the ads pay for the service you are provided with and pay an income to the content creators. Remember, that a lot of the users have spent their own money on producing videos and buying equipment.

I think Disney+ had the right idea at £6 a month or £60 a year.

£12 a month is about the same as a TV license which is warranted for a household but not for 1 device. A single device on YouTube should have its own lower pricing tier like the £6 from above.

Soldato
Using UBlock Origin and Ghostery on firefox so I haven't seen a Youtube advert in years. If I find a channel I'd like to support I'd rather support them directly via monthly donation/subscription rather than through YT with it's very patchy demonetisation algorithm.

Man of Honour
There are ways to avoid the ads but at the end of the day the ads pay for the service you are provided with and pay an income to the content creators. Remember, that a lot of the users have spent their own money on producing videos and buying equipment.

I'm with this, to an extent. On channels I like, I'll allow ads to play to some extent. As a general rule, I'll allow the 1st advert of a pair to run and skip the 2nd and I'll skip ads over 1 minute. A 3.5 minute ad for "fractional share trading", which is obviously a scam? No. I'm not watching 5 minutes of ads as the price of watching 10 minutes of video, especially as the content creators get a minority of the ad revenue or nothing at all because Youtube demonitised the video for unexplained reasons (but still puts ads on it anyway and gets all the money) or some chancer company files a DMCA notice because 2 seconds of the video contains a couple of bars of music from somewhere.

The conflict is inherent because advertising is inherently a hostile act. The ads get worse, more people block them, the ads get worse...etc.

Soldato
I watch YouTube more than Netflix so don’t see the premium cost as an issue. It is a bit annoying when you see adverts heavily edited in to videos though.

Soldato
I've been offered an Audible book about 500 times this week and I absolutely do not feel anymore like buying an audible book more than I did before.

How Audible can afford so many ads is impressive, they must be doing very well

Associate
Mobile is the issue and I'm on iOS. That's for Android.

The only way to truly combat ads for Mobile is a Raspberry PI to set everything to go through its local DNS.

I do most of my browsing on the iPad which is usually blocked by other stuff but the Youtube app on iOS is neat and clean except the ad interuptions.

Silly billy, buying Apple products :p

Nah, what about Cercube?

Back
Top Bottom