Youtube & Ads

Soldato
OP

As far as im aware,you cannot install this kind of stuff on the Samsung TVs,They even removed Twitch which is so annoying!

A member of a PC enthusiast forum still not using an ad blocker in 2020? :p

On your PC, use uBlock Origin. On your phone (if Android), install YouTube Vanced. Sorted. You will never see an ad again. Don't give Google 12 quid a month for something that is free.

Im mainly talking about Youtube when it comes to on a Smart TV,i know theres a ton of add blockers available for PC and android.

V F

V F

Soldato
As far as im aware,you cannot install this kind of stuff on the Samsung TVs,They even removed Twitch which is so annoying!

Im mainly talking about Youtube when it comes to on a Smart TV,i know theres a ton of add blockers available for PC and android.

Why did they remove so many things from the Smart Hubs? Youtube has been gone on mine for ages. It's looking quite empty. Plenty of other apps but I stopped using the thing a long time ago because so many apps were getting pulled.

At least the Amazon Video is still on it.

Soldato
OP
Why did they remove so many things from the Smart Hubs? Youtube has been gone on mine for ages. It's looking quite empty. Plenty of other apps but I stopped using the thing a long time ago because so many apps were getting pulled.

At least the Amazon Video is still on it.

Not a clue, I assume something to do with licensing, is annoying though when you purchase a TV then a few months down the line they start pulling apps, and don't allow you to manually add stuff back to your own TV of course you can add an android box/firestick and put these back in but again, going backwards.

There was a lot of unhappy people on the Samsung forums when twitch got pulled.

Associate
I didn't realise how bad it had got as I mostly use my pc which has Ublock origin so never see them. I was on my tv app the other day and the amount of ads was shocking! Pi-hole seems the way forward!

Associate
No I am not because there's no way in **** I'm downloading and installing some dodgy apks on any of my Android devices to try and do something which is probably against the services EULA.

Additionally that would mean I 'd have to cast to the TV all the time rather than the simplicity of just using the built in app. I don't have an issue paying for premium.

"dodgy" :D:D nothing dodgy about it, it's a modified youtube client. Ooh against the EULA! what about what Google do to us with surveillance, data mining and god knows what else, that's ok is it?

No worries, if you don't mind paying for it fair enough.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Running YouTube Vanguard on my phone and Pi-hole on my home network. Not seen an advert for a long time :D
I installed pi hole yesterday and got it all set up/working. It doesn’t seem to block YouTube adverts at all? I’d love to get it blocking YouTube as my son likes to watch it on a smart tv, but it just plainly doesn’t seem to prevent them on either windows clients, iPads or TVs? :(
Works on regular websites, but there is little advantage there as ublock etc are better featured for desktop....

Soldato
I installed pi hole yesterday and got it all set up/working. It doesn’t seem to block YouTube adverts at all? I’d love to get it blocking YouTube as my son likes to watch it on a smart tv, but it just plainly doesn’t seem to prevent them on either windows clients, iPads or TVs? :(
Works on regular websites, but there is little advantage there as ublock etc are better featured for desktop....

Probably a stupid question but I assume you've sent the DNS manually on those devices?

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Of course :)..my point is that pi-hole can’t cope with YouTube to my understanding?

I love its interface, very nice slick product, but being DNS based in hindsight how can it cope with embedded adverts?

If you have somehow found a way to get it working I’d be most interested, all of my trawling of reddit hasn’t come up with much which seems any good

Soldato
Of course :)..my point is that pi-hole can’t cope with YouTube to my understanding?

I love its interface, very nice slick product, but being DNS based in hindsight how can it cope with embedded adverts?

If you have somehow found a way to get it working I’d be most interested, all of my trawling of reddit hasn’t come up with much which seems any good

Can't be of much help to be honest as I don't use a Smart TV yet. Still using a PC hooked up to our main TV as we stream everything. Tested Pi-hole on everyone's devices in our household and it's working perfectly. It's been a while since I set it up and can't remember exactly what I did.

mrlbKJq.png

Pop the question in here as someone technical will be able to help you :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/setting-up-pi-hole.18756115/

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Can't be of much help to be honest as I don't use a Smart TV yet. Still using a PC hooked up to our main TV as we stream everything. Tested Pi-hole on everyone's devices in our household and it's working perfectly. It's been a while since I set it up and can't remember exactly what I did.

mrlbKJq.png

Pop the question in here as someone technical will be able to help you :)

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/setting-up-pi-hole.18756115/

I have posted in there, never know someone might have a trick that I’ve missed! :). Only slight issue with expecting help is that I am about as technical as they come but have realised that the product unfortunately has been beaten by the content vendors. Software blockers perform packet inspection which this can never do :( shame

V F

V F

Soldato
Not a clue, I assume something to do with licensing, is annoying though when you purchase a TV then a few months down the line they start pulling apps, and don't allow you to manually add stuff back to your own TV of course you can add an android box/firestick and put these back in but again, going backwards.

There was a lot of unhappy people on the Samsung forums when twitch got pulled.

Well I suppose I'm not completely screwed on that aspect but I can understand why they were angry. I still can hook up the WDTV box to any TV should I need it. It had a ton of apps. Or as I used to do, stream the rips from Mac/PC to the rooms with it. Or even the PS3 or PS4 that has twitch, Youtube etc etc...

Soldato
I can't even remember what country I used to sign up to premium, but I think I pay about £2.40 per month. That being said, I did use to subscribe using the UK site, but that was always more for the music. I would guess that 70% of my screen time (recreational) is via YouTube, so if the option for me to pay so little went away, I would pay the £12 a month not to see ads. I guess it comes down to how much you watch on the platform

Soldato
I can't even remember what country I used to sign up to premium, but I think I pay about £2.40 per month. That being said, I did use to subscribe using the UK site, but that was always more for the music. I would guess that 70% of my screen time (recreational) is via YouTube, so if the option for me to pay so little went away, I would pay the £12 a month not to see ads. I guess it comes down to how much you watch on the platform

I signed up to premium for India via NordVPN.

Not sure if the method would still work.

Caporegime
Because torrent can be used to "steal" copyright material. But ads are a legit way for companies to make money. I don't see how they are the same.

What I mean is, torrent a movie, deny the creators revenue for their work.
Block ads, deny the creators revenue for their work.

Why do people feel like they are entitled to free Youtube content, rather than either paying in actual money, or "paying" in ad revenue?

I can kinda understand with regards to things like Sky, where you pay subscription yet still get ads, but not so much youtube.

Soldato
What I mean is, torrent a movie, deny the creators revenue for their work.
Block ads, deny the creators revenue for their work.

Why do people feel like they are entitled to free Youtube content, rather than either paying in actual money, or "paying" in ad revenue?

I can kinda understand with regards to things like Sky, where you pay subscription yet still get ads, but not so much youtube.

The main issue with ads, its constantly in your face, flashing up, unskippable lengths of time. Watching a video and halfway it randomly cuts to an ad.

It wasn't a problem at first, an 2 second ad at the start of a few videos. That was fine. Then they started taking mickey, forcing people to take action with adblocks.

Doesn't help Youtube was an ad free platform at first. Then Google purchased it, slapped on ads then you need to pay to remove those ads.

Back
Top Bottom