Youtube & Ads

Permabanned
Soldato
uBlock Origin sees to it that I never see adverts on my PC. :cool:

I seldom use YouTube on my phone, mostly because I am constantly asked if I want YouTube Premium.

Part of me wants YouTube to hurry up and die, but we need a viable alternative before it does.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
Agreed the ads have been getting more and more annoying. TBH I find myself watching YT less and less, just the channels im subbed to. Before I would spend hours just watching and listening to random stuff. Now it's just annoying to use so don't bother as much.

Will check out some of the apps mentioned in this thread.

Soldato
Agreed the ads have been getting more and more annoying. TBH I find myself watching YT less and less, just the channels im subbed to. Before I would spend hours just watching and listening to random stuff. Now it's just annoying to use so don't bother as much.

Will check out some of the apps mentioned in this thread.

Everyone is doing it now, not only YT.

I use to watch 4oD years ago when you could skip the ads, then they had adblock detection. OK, fair enough. Then the ads got longer, 2 ads which were 30 secs each. Now its 4 to 5 ads, up to 1 minute each. The last time I watched something on 4oD, they removed the timer. So you cant see how long you have left till the ads are finished.

On TuneIn Radio, random ads started popping up about 2 years ago. Interrupting many of the songs. Now I don't get seamless music anymore. :mad:

Many of the Smart TV's (Samsung/LG) Ads.....and all you are doing is changing the HDMI input!

Xbox 360 dashboard......Ads! Yet you are paying for the Xbox live subscription!

The more you try to prevent ads, the more you have thrown at you.

Last edited:
Associate
The inbuilt ones I just skip or even close the whole video and find someone else. There’s plenty of options and most of the content is repeated by others.

Caporegime
They're probably trying to compensate for all of the "far right populists" they've blocked advertising on and demonetised, populists happen to be popular!

Soldato
Everyone is doing it now, not only YT.

I use to watch 4oD years ago when you could skip the ads, then they had adblock detection. OK, fair enough. Then the ads got longer, 2 ads which were 30 secs each. Now its 4 to 5 ads, up to 1 minute each. The last time I watched something on 4oD, they removed the timer. So you cant see how long you have left till the ads are finished.

It's been years since I used 4OD but the adblock detection only worked at the beginning. Disable adblock, click play then re-enable adblock - you had to watch the first one but it would skip all the others throughout the program.

As for Youtube - the adverts are getting worse but it's a downward spiral of more intrusive adverts so more people block them so more intrusive adverts. I'm still subscribed to a large number of channels but really only 2 or 3 I actually watch these days.

Soldato
YouTube has revolutionised my guitar playing after a lifetime of trying, on and off, to learn from books. So I'm very grateful for this modern marvel and haven't investigated adblockers for that reason. However I've recently found myself getting more and more cheesed off with double adverts, ads which suddenly appear in the middle of tutorials, and especially end-roll... they annoy me most for some reason I haven't quite put my finger on. In theory they should be the least annoying. Maybe it's because I'm used to videos just ending and I'm too lazy to close them down immediately.

Anyway, yes, sign me up to the grumpy club too. However I still can't believe that it's possible to upload and store all those gazillions of hours of video every day, and distribute it on demand globally, with just a few annoying ads to support it. Feels unsustainable to me... both economically and in terms of data centre energy use. I think it's about time Tweety Pie (or whatever his name is) started working out how much climate change he's responsible for. Maybe we need more carbon offsetting ads. :)

Edit: forgot to say that when I occasionally use the phone app I'm amazed at how much worse an experience it seems to be than the desktop version.

Soldato
It's been years since I used 4OD but the adblock detection only worked at the beginning. Disable adblock, click play then re-enable adblock - you had to watch the first one but it would skip all the others throughout the program.

That method stopped working after a while. It would buffer or pop up halfway through the show to disable the adblock. I heard that Pi-hole no longer works with 4oD so they are really clamping down.

Soldato
You are mugging yourself off paying for it, https://vanced.app/ this gives all the same features as premium, for free.

No I am not because there's no way in **** I'm downloading and installing some dodgy apks on any of my Android devices to try and do something which is probably against the services EULA.

Additionally that would mean I 'd have to cast to the TV all the time rather than the simplicity of just using the built in app. I don't have an issue paying for premium.

Caporegime
A member of a PC enthusiast forum still not using an ad blocker in 2020? :p

On your PC, use uBlock Origin. On your phone (if Android), install YouTube Vanced. Sorted. You will never see an ad again. Don't give Google 12 quid a month for something that is free.

Back
Top Bottom