YouTube Premium

Associate
Own goal by YT, at least they are getting some money from these VPN memberships. Now they will end up getting nothing as I very much doubt anyone who used a VPN is willing to pay UK prices.

I certainly won't. Not got any emails yet though.

I mean let's be realistic here, there's literally no alternative to Youtube. The content that's on Youtube is overwhemingly exclusive to Youtube, unless the creator just so happens to upload on some other platform (which??). But they're most likely in the extreme minority, so unless you do give up Youtube entirely, they'll not be getting "nothing" from you, they'll be getting all the ad revenue from the ads you get without Premium, vs. the £3/month or whatever it was you were paying.

Associate
Not seeing any issues with my family sub so far. But if my Mumbai residence suddenly becomes an issue, given the amount of content I watch on the platform this will be one of those times where I’ll stump up the full amount for it.

Soldato
I mean let's be realistic here, there's literally no alternative to Youtube. The content that's on Youtube is overwhemingly exclusive to Youtube, unless the creator just so happens to upload on some other platform (which??). But they're most likely in the extreme minority, so unless you do give up Youtube entirely, they'll not be getting "nothing" from you, they'll be getting all the ad revenue from the ads you get without Premium, vs. the £3/month or whatever it was you were paying.
YouTube is clearly acting as a gatekeeper to this content and needs to be regulated.

Associate
Is there anything stopping creators from uploading to the other sites?

I think mostly the prospect of being to turn it into a legitimate career, or at least a major source of income for the creators. I don't know of other video host platfom that offers that potential. I mean, even the closest rival I can think of in Vimeo had to pivot, and aren't they exclusive to proper film productions or something now? The only others with "unlimited" public video hosting are random ones like DailyMotion, and how many people have even heard of that these days?

Back
Top Bottom