YouTube Premium

That's a solution for now. My issue is that you are constantly chasing....or running away from YT's anti-ad block measures. Then there are a lot of other things I need to do, in the end it's all about "hassle vs a few quid".

I get no ads on every device I use straight away.
I get Music.
Fair enough
I get to listen to a video as I walk to and from work.
I get to download videos when I get on a flight.
Newpipe will do both of these IIRC, if you're interested. That said, you don't sign in with your account so it's faff in that sense. TBH, I just watched and listen to stuff on firefox with an adblock.

I suppose it's all down to how much hassle you find it, none of the above I find a hassle, but that's me. :)

If push came to shove I'd rather pay full whack for youtube than the dross that is on Netflix and the likes.

The vast level of entertaining and educational content on YT is unparalleled.

Last edited:
Been using Netflix on Turkey for years now. 4 quid for the 4k package.
:o

I've been in IT for so long and always knew about vpn to get cheaper subscriptions, but never actual;ly thought to do it... i've been with Netflix for s yeras plus maybe and have been paying 17-20 squids for their 4K package!

I am in the same boat, I watch most of it on TV. In the evening at home I 99% would watch it on the TV.

I could Chromecast it but I would need to buy a Chromecast (cost money). I already have an Amazon Fire Stick/Xbox/PS which have YouTube app built in. Also, it's a more TV experience when I can simply navigate with the remote, flip between all the app I use inside the Fire Stick. The experience of watching is IMO, nicer than using a Chromecast.
This is my situation. I've seen so many people posting to say "haha, use adblocker" etc but it's so much easier on TV.

And, the main bonus for me is that I have a bunch of relatives coming over to help with kids. For them, loading up the TV with one remote and choosing the apps is fine. The idea of a second remote is completely alien and they can't handle it. The iPhone users in my family have never Chromecasted anything and wouldn't understand even if I taught them.

For me, the YouTube family plan works really well. Allows a profile for the kids (controlled by adults) that means my recommendations are still decent and not full of trash.

The only issue is that I don't think it's worth the same as Netflix etc given the calibre of the content. And further to that, I'm not paying retail price for any of these platforms. If I had to, I'd be cutting back really aggressively.

Last edited:
This is my situation. I've seen so many people posting to say "haha, use adblocker" etc but it's so much easier on TV.

And, the main bonus for me is that I have a bunch of relatives coming over to help with kids. For them, loading up the TV with one remote and choosing the apps is fine. The idea of a second remote is completely alien and they can't handle it. The iPhone users in my family have never Chromecasted anything and wouldn't understand even if I taught them.

For me, the YouTube family plan works really well. Allows a profile for the kids (controlled by adults) that means my recommendations are still decent and not full of trash.

The only issue is that I don't think it's worth the same as Netflix etc given the calibre of the content. And further to that, I'm not paying retail price for any of these platforms. If I had to, I'd be cutting back really aggressively.

Whilst I 100% agree the calibre of content isn't as good. In terms of watch time....YouTube FAR outweigh every other platform combined.

I will only ever load up Prime and Disney when I know there is a show or film I want to watch. I never browse on those.

Netflix I will log in once a week to browse.

YouiTube I find myself loading it up several times a day to see what new videos has dropped. Since they are 15min to 30min content usually, much easier to watch during lunch, or sometimes, when walking to work even. I just listen to it a lot of times. I consumed 45mins of YouTube already and it's not even 9am yet because I was listening to something between getting ready for work and walking to work.

Last edited:
Managed to upgrade from my individual account to a family account yesterday. Had to cancel my UK individual sub first, then through VPN and sign back up.

Tried multiple, couldn't get Argentina, Ukraine, Turkey etc to work. Only ones working were Brazil (cheaper but needed some sort of Brazilian ID number) and Poland. Youtube Family plan is around £9.20 per month now, compared to me paying £10.99 for a music only individual plan!

Mine is currently taking 229TL. Was 200 back in May. About a fiver.
They delay price increases for existing customers by a month or two so it'll be going up to 300 TL soon. 230 TL is £5.42, but with the typical gift card premium you'll be paying around £6. Unless you're paying for it with a debit/credit card, but I thought they started cracking down on that last year as people using cards from other countries had their accounts closed.

Currently still on holiday in Ukraine with the family. If I have to come back I would probably just do the single subscription.

I watch YouTube more than anything these days.

Just used Proton vpn via Poland.
address used was McDonalds in Warsaw 5 quid
Yeah seems Poland is the only one i could find with a sensible price... tried many others and no go.

It also seems most VPN you use which you can trial only allow you to select certain countries, or ones which you have to sign up, you need to add a payment method.. even for trial periods. Only one i could find which was actually free, and had more countries to choose from was Tunnerbear

Back
Top Bottom