YouTube Premium

Anyone else finding the YouTube desktop site very laggy, using a lot of CPU and RAM last few days? some are saying it is a measure against people using ad blockers but I'm not blocking ads on YouTube.

Anyone else finding the YouTube desktop site very laggy, using a lot of CPU and RAM last few days? some are saying it is a measure against people using ad blockers but I'm not blocking ads on YouTube.

All ok for me on desktop with Chrome, i did have the laggy issue a couple of months ago but it was back to normal within a week, not sure if it was due to using AdBlock Plus,

On another note AdBlock Plus stopped working for me on YT a couple of weeks ago and i started to get the warning from YT about using an ad blocker and to turn it off,
so i removed AdBlock Plus and switched over to uBlock Origin which has been working well

All ok for me on desktop with Chrome, i did have the laggy issue a couple of months ago but it was back to normal within a week, not sure if it was due to using AdBlock Plus,

On another note AdBlock Plus stopped working for me on YT a couple of weeks ago and i started to get the warning from YT about using an ad blocker and to turn it off,
so i removed AdBlock Plus and switched over to uBlock Origin which has been working well

Something has changed and I don't think it is on my end as such for example when I close a tab with a YouTube video playing instead of instantly killing the audio it plays for about a second after the tab has closed, sporadically my CPU fans are ramping momentarily when navigating around the site, etc. which never happened before - this doesn't seem to be down to a specific system or internet connection. There is often a half second to second long pause mid loading the site as well which wasn't there before, comments section can be delayed loading in, etc.

Last edited:
I migrated from Chrome to Firefox over the weekend, not as painful I thought and the combo of UBO and ABP has got yt workable again. Not sure what changed over the past week or so but Google have definitely nobbled Chrome somehow to misbehave with addons.

Successful payment from my Argentine residence over the weekend. 3 more care free weeks of YTP until I get worried about the renew going through :P

I have noticed some videos seem choppy in recent weeks.

So far Turkey seems to be working for me still!

Been finding the official app struggling to load anything for the last couple of days. I figured it was our poor WiFi. But this thread suggests that it's not just me that's having issues - I'll assume it's the add blocker fixes and monitor.

YT has been laggy for me for the last 2-3 weeks.

E. And I dont use adblockers, am using Firefox.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've noticed a few bits of lag every now and again on YT Premium on my LG TV. 900Mb internet connection, 100Mb wired TV connection

Something has changed and I don't think it is on my end as such for example when I close a tab with a YouTube video playing instead of instantly killing the audio it plays for about a second after the tab has closed, sporadically my CPU fans are ramping momentarily when navigating around the site, etc. which never happened before - this doesn't seem to be down to a specific system or internet connection. There is often a half second to second long pause mid loading the site as well which wasn't there before, comments section can be delayed loading in, etc.
Intel 13 or 14 gen cpu u have?

Waterfox and fine here

I migrated from Chrome to Firefox over the weekend, not as painful I thought and the combo of UBO and ABP has got yt workable again. Not sure what changed over the past week or so but Google have definitely nobbled Chrome somehow to misbehave with addons.
Sounds likely they don't like you using adblock on chrome etc. They also block or restrict downloaders pretty effectively now too

prefer not to create a new thread on this, and on the subject of Premiums.. how is everyone paying for Netflix Premium through VPN.. do you need to create a new account to sign up.. as i'm having issues trying different regions on my own account... won't let me get to payment page if using different region.

Myself, the wife and both our sons use Youtube a lot, this is probably the only subscription I've never considered cancelling. Well worth it for us.
We also let a friend use a spot on the family sub and they put us on their Disney+ which gives it even more value.

prefer not to create a new thread on this, and on the subject of Premiums.. how is everyone paying for Netflix Premium through VPN.. do you need to create a new account to sign up.. as i'm having issues trying different regions on my own account... won't let me get to payment page if using different region.

That loophole closed a long time ago. Now people use cheap gift vouchers.

They got me :/

Snap, there goes Turkey :(

Update: Tried a a few countries and YT kept complaining it couldn't verify my country. Tried Chile and that's working fine at £4.57 a month, shame as my Turkey one was only about £1.30. My debit card failed to work with a declined error but my credit card worked immediately. Wonder how long this one will last.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom