*** Youtube/Video thread ***

I recently stumbled across a channel on copper and bronze age societies. The narrator isn't a professional historian, but they are a professional writer of historical fiction set in the bronze age and they're careful about historical authenticity so they know a fair bit about it. So this channel is a history channel. An actual history channel, unlike the History Channel. There's a lot I don't know about that period of time, so I'm finding it interesting.

This video, for example is about something I had no idea even existed. A large, wealthy society >6000 years ago with trade links stretching thousands of kilometres and very highly developed manufacturing in a variety of materials with a particular emphasis on gold. Which came from hundreds of kilometres away - this society was specifically a location for turning raw gold into very finely made objects. That's a lot of organisation and logistics. They also had what looks like writing, but not enough has been found to be sure. Maybe it was just a simpler form of marking, a sort of proto-writing. Maybe marks denoting ownership. Or maybe it was genuinely a written language. One of the Mesopotamian societies? Egypt? No. Bulgaria. Well, not Bulgaria back then. We don't know what they called their own lands. But it's Bulgaria now.

Back
Top Bottom