*** Youtube/Video thread ***

I like this channel. It's the gold standard of "building stuff stone age style" because it's completely legit. No cheating. No nonsense. No modern tools off camera. No undrained swimming pools in the jungle that would become stagnant infested disease pits in days. Stuff that works, would be sustainable and which is done in legit stone age style from start to finish. The only modern thing he takes into the wild is a pair of shorts. Which could just as easily be a loincloth made from plants or animal hide or whatever, i.e. not functionally different to something from the stone age.

Turning subtitles on is useful for all the videos in this channel - it's where they add detail and explanation about what they're doing.

This is one of those "it's obvious after it's been explained" things about how stuff was done in the past. Clay dug out of the ground with a stick will contain stones and gravel and sand and bits of tree roots and would be of inconsistent composition, all of which adversely affects firing it into pottery. So how did people in the distant past purify clay and make it into a consistent composition? Probably like this:

That video is after a fair bit of development. In earlier videos, they made their tools. The same way they do everything - from scratch and using only what they can forage from the nearby land and carry to their settlement site. This axe, for example, took over 8 days to make.

And the 'proper' and most iconic theme tune, not like Man of Steel's instantly forgettable string of notes.

I actually love the MOS main theme, maybe it's nowhere near as memorable, but it's defiantly rousing and probably the best that anyone can come up with when you're in the shadow of John William's timeless score.

Last edited:
I actually love the MOS main theme, maybe it's nowhere near as memorable, but it's defiantly rousing and probably the best that anyone can come up with when you're in the shadow of John William's timeless score.

Well after listening to 2 minutes of the main theme, I'm bored enough not to want to listen to any more of it. I seem to remember having this argument when MoS originally came out. As far as I'm concerned, if it's not John Williams' score, I'm out. The MoS theme could be for any random film but it's just not Superman (in my opinion).

Well after listening to 2 minutes of the main theme, I'm bored enough not to want to listen to any more of it. I seem to remember having this argument when MoS originally came out. As far as I'm concerned, if it's not John Williams' score, I'm out. The MoS theme could be for any random film but it's just not Superman (in my opinion).

Williams theme is nothing less than a masterpiece, it encapsulates superman totally.

[bardcore version of The Final Countdown]
I find bardcore an appealing genre, though the quality and historical accuracy varies wildly.

This one is vocal rather than instrumental and somewhat further back in time. As far as I can tell with my very limited knowledge, it's period correct for ~1000 years ago. English as she was spoke :)

Same singer, but this one is "Gas Gas Gas" transposed to ancient Roman chariot racing and sung in Classical Latin. Which would probably be somewhat formal for a song about chariot racing.

Not a real historical setting, but a fictional quasi-medieval one. Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, which I'm sure we all remember. The bards in the taverns in that game sounded like (and probably were) voice actors roped into singing. Not the bards/minstrels they should have been. So some players did their own versions. I think this one is particularly good. As did Bethesda, since Bethesda hired them for Elder Scrolls Online.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom