• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Zen 3D V-Cache Ryzen CPUs May be Available in December 2021

Soldato
Yep. Many don't get this though and talk out their rear saying you NEED 8 cores.
While 8 cores + will benefit more than 6 in a few games a lot of the time it's down to core speed which is why the 5600X beats the 3950X and we'll likely see the next gen zen 4 6600X beat the 5950X.

Soldato
It would need to be a hell of a pair of cores to out perform 16 and it would probably impossible to manufacture. The industry has gone the parallel route and we aren’t turning back.

Its just hypothetical.

All I was saying is that the core count of a cpu is secondary to the compute performance that the chip is capable of.

Soldato
Its just hypothetical.

All I was saying is that the core count of a cpu is secondary to the compute performance that the chip is capable of.

The highest compute performance is nearly always the highest core count parts. The 5600X is an attractive option, but it’s total compute performance is lower than many other chips.

Associate
Surely it's not just a question of cores but more the compute power of the chip.

If tomorrow a new CPU architecture is released that only has 2 cores but these two cores are faster than a 5950x for half the price that would constitute progress.

I doubt games would care too much of that cpu had 2 or 20 cores as long as the FPS are high enough and consistent enough.

The way I see it Intel and AMD were limited by frequency in improving computing productivity at some point so had to spit the task into more cores. The issue with that is that not all programs can scale loads that well.

Soldato
...limited by frequency in improving computing productivity...
Frequency on its own doesn't mean anything, the amount of work a core can do per clock cycle is a more important factor. The FX 9590 is the perfect example. That thing got to 5GHz 6 years before Intel started willy-waving, but was still crushed by Intel CPUs with half the cores and nowhere near the same frequency.

Of course, frequency helps. If processor X and processor Y have identical IPC, but processor X has a higher clock frequency, then processor X is going to be the better performer.

Associate
Frequency on its own doesn't mean anything, the amount of work a core can do per clock cycle is a more important factor. The FX 9590 is the perfect example. That thing got to 5GHz 6 years before Intel started willy-waving, but was still crushed by Intel CPUs with half the cores and nowhere near the same frequency.

Of course, frequency helps. If processor X and processor Y have identical IPC, but processor X has a higher clock frequency, then processor X is going to be the better performer.

You have a point there. Let me rephrase myself - productivity per cycle can be improved but we are limited in frequency. So in order to increase performance in general we have to introduce parallelism.

Permabanned
You're running a 4K screen, use it.

The problem is not in the screen, even on an 8K screen the images will be silly large for the little information content they are offering !

You can erase these images at all and post the same information in text format.

Caporegime
OP
They did but then backed down so I wouldn't be supprised if they followed through this time especially as board makers have been bring out new X570s that they will want to sell.

yup......

I've not seen anything on costs of the new chip yet but would expect them to be a chunk more than current, here's hoping the chunk is comparable to the uplift

5900X is £500 and 5950X is £750, personally i think the 5900X should be £450 with the 5950X £600.

Back
Top Bottom