Change to MM access after 1st January 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
At the end of the day its up to the user to decide if they want access to the MM, if you do then be more active on the forums. I lost my access because even though i have been a member for ages i don't post much, i read loads but most often don't feel like i can contribute anything meaningful and i'm not one to post drivel just for the sake of it.

Would i like to have my access back yes of course its useful have got some great bargains off the mm, will i be more active i'll try sure but i guess we'll see how it goes.

Associate
At the end of the day its up to the user to decide if they want access to the MM, if you do then be more active on the forums. I lost my access because even though i have been a member for ages i don't post much, i read loads but most often don't feel like i can contribute anything meaningful and i'm not one to post drivel just for the sake of it.

Would i like to have my access back yes of course its useful have got some great bargains off the mm, will i be more active i'll try sure but i guess we'll see how it goes.
Same with me, similar post count to you too. Most annoying is to get the 1000 posts, general chat doesn’t count despite some nice threads going on

Last edited:
Commissario

27 posts and you’re back ;)

Commissario
OP
I lost my access because even though i have been a member for ages i don't post much
Technically that's true but for clarity (for anyone else reading), you lost access back in August last year because you were a grandfathered in user who hadn't reached the 1000 post count requirement that was introduced in 2012. You haven't lost access due to the 15/90 rule.

Soldato
I tried to get my post count to 1000 to have a look at the MM.

After a lot of waffling I still haven't bought or sold anything lol.

Want MM access then get occasionally involved in other threads, it's not difficult, it's not an outrageous requirement.

Caporegime
I can't believe the amount of complaints and griping about what should, in all honesty, been a requirement years ago to maintain access. It's not a huge requirement either. a post a week? Surely everyone can manage that?

Soldato
I can't believe the amount of complaints and griping about what should, in all honesty, been a requirement years ago to maintain access. It's not a huge requirement either. a post a week? Surely everyone can manage that?

Apparently not, and I'm surprised the mods have been so restrained in their responses. Only thing missing from this thread is Godwin's law being invoked.

Associate
It's a shame really, as I am a long term lurker here and I don't post very much but I have used MM to buy and sometimes sell over the years. It is a benefit, but, the way I see it is that by using that its helping the community. I'd rather buy and sell with folks here than on other sites.

No big deal, I've got some networking equipment (Unifi UDM Pro) which I was going to sell for very reason price here, as I know it would be used. It'll just now either gather dust, or I'll sell it else where. It's really no drama, just feel like post count shouldn't be the only consideration for being a community member. Reading is just as important as posting (in my view).

Associate
I do disagree, but, it is what it is. Communities are all about balance. Some post, some like to read. Its fine if posting is deemed more important but it also does set a tone of "this person is more important than the other". Just my opinion.

Soldato
Ah man, the CEO of OCUK is gonna be fuming the KPIs of the MM are dropping.
Maybe, but then if you accept its existence has value it's in the interest of all concerned to ensure it retains enough good quality buying and selling to be an incentive and service to the members. A much higher qualifying post count immediately might have proved counter productive, it's always possible to increase the requirement later once all concerned are satisfied the requirement hasn't impacted the value of the subforms vs the overhead of running and maintaining them. This feels a sensible compromise to me, not that that particularly matters to anyone :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Reading is just as important as posting (in my view).

But you don't even need to be a member to read - so why bother having an account? You can do the exact same as you were without even logging in.

I do disagree, but, it is what it is. Communities are all about balance. Some post, some like to read. Its fine if posting is deemed more important but it also does set a tone of "this person is more important than the other". Just my opinion.

So what happens when everyone turns into "readers"? The forum won't exist because there won't be anything to read. You talk about balance, but a balance can't be possible if you only have readers and no contributors. So absolutely contributors are more important than readers.

Associate
But you don't even need to be a member to read - so why bother having an account? You can do the exact same as you were without even logging in.

So what happens when everyone turns into "readers"? The forum won't exist because there won't be anything to read. You talk about balance, but a balance can't be possible if you only have readers and no contributors. So absolutely contributors are more important than readers.
So you've just confirmed what I said, OCuK doesn't care about readers as much as posters.

This is fine with me.

Edit:

You seem encouraging that people shouldn't register; there's benefits to both readers and OCuK if folks do register regardless of what they do, but, you know lets be welcoming and all that.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think this is very unfair on long term members who lurk more than post. I don't want to spam random messages in threads just to retain access. Also it's not like all of my posts are in MM, I haven't really used it loads over the years.

Is there any consideration for this?

Caporegime
I think this is very unfair on long term members who lurk more than post. I don't want to spam random messages in threads just to retain access. Also it's not like all of my posts are in MM, I haven't really used it loads over the years.

You have nearly TEN THOUSAND POSTS. Hardly lurking. Lurk a little less.

Soldato
It's not like a sport though, where the sportsmen need spectators to get paid and the spectators need sportsmen to watch. If all the 'read only' users suddenly stopped reading the forum tomorrow, it's not suddenly going to become unbalanced and grind to a halt - all the active contributors will continue to contribute as they were.

I don't want to spam random messages in threads just to retain access.

Don't do that then, post something vaguely useful or interesting :p

Soldato

My thought as well. I was more active years ago but still prefer reading than post nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom