England squad announcement

Soldato
England squad for next two qualifiers announced.

The big question is, looking at the quality of the forwards, Is Sterling finished at international level?

Goalkeepers: Sam Johnstone (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal)

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Lewis Dunk (Brighton & Hove Albion), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Tyrone Mings (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle United), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

Midfielders: Jude Bellingham (Borussia Dortmund), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Kalvin Phillips (Manchester City), Declan Rice (West Ham United)

Forwards: Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), James Maddison (Leicester City), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Callum Wilson (Newcastle United)
Absolutely not, imo. He's class and has had a season in a completely disjointed Chelsea team. He's younger than Kane and Wilson, Rashford blows hot and cold, and Maddison, Grealish and Foden are really more midfield players. I expect him to kick on under Poch, and would still be surprised if he wasn't in the squad for the Euros.

To me, the problem is too many number 8s. I really like Maddison, but can't see him getting in ahead of Foden or Grealish on a regular basis, and he's 26. Eze is younger and his ceiling is much higher, and bringing 4 players to a tournament in that role is mad. I'd be bringing Sterling back in for Maddison (or Eze, depending on form).

Edit: And yes, no Watkins is bizarre.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's fine, disagree. The bottom line is if you don't win the competition you're a loser.

Southgate is a serial loser.
It's all relative though. England have played international football for over 150 years and in all that time, every single manager has been a loser except Sir Alf Ramsey. So in a country where basically everyone across all time is a loser, it becomes a question of who you lost to / how you lost.

Soldato
Probably won't watch. Not all that bothered about England games anymore especially under Southgate.

The football under him is mostly horrendous, couple with his squad selection it's boring. Let's smack some minnows 5 or 6 nil and struggle like mad when it comes down to the nitty gritty. Same old.

Hope Wilson and Trippier come back uninjured.

Associate
So Maguire and Phillips in Southgates latest squad but no place for Sterling.

Playing some of your best football doesnt get you in but not playing a minute gets you selected again and again.

Henderson also picked.

Back
Top Bottom