Formula Boinc 2016

Soldato
OP
Is that a case of aborting all the others? I can't see it in preferences but the credit difference does seem massive. Can I just select the "uses up to 1gb memory" applications?

Exactly that, no need to abort anything if you don't want to, http://escatter11.fullerton.edu/nfs/prefs.php?subset=project edit preferences and select only the lasievef & lasieve5f, it was my understanding that lasievef was for windows and lasieve5f was linux but i believe both platforms run each of them just fine, maybe Carlos could explain.

If you have just enough memory make sure you change the default boinc client memory usage from 50% in the options/comp preferences/memory setting.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks :cool: I've got a few more cores to put on it when I get home from work.

Did you see Bowmore from TSBT :eek: I thought Scole was thier big hitter.

Little digging... Bowmore is Bryan from seti.usa he swapped teams for a week and dumped 4m credits on NFS for TSBT.

The main reason they did so well recently on NFS was occasionally some quick work units are dished out which complete several times quicker than the normal ones but give the same amount of credit and they managed to catch them, though they do both have quite a few cores at their disposal ...but let's not big them up too much as I'm sure they're reading this, don't want it to go to their heads :p

Soldato
OP
We are back to 1st on NFS :). Lost some time on one of my rigs today don't know how long though. Andy I should hit 1m credits by Sunday but I'm not going to catch you up.

You've hit 1m already :cool: those quick works units are currently being sent out, they are around x4 quicker than the ones previous, it's worth increasing your cache in the boinc client to grab as many as you can, maximum seems to be 1046 WUs per machine.

TSBT are filling their boots too.

Soldato
OP
I'm going to have me a few of those bad boys :)
Not quite as fast on Ubuntu as Windows is.

It also looks like 100 * number of cores is the limit, so not sure what sort of machine you are running to get 1046 !

I have a 10.46 core machine :D
I have not noticed any difference between Linux and Windows, it's hard to tell when the work unit runtimes vary so much themselves. It used to be the case that Linux was a good 30% quicker a while back.

All stocked up on them now. I think its 100 * cores up to 10 cores. My 24 and 32 thread rigs are about the same at just over 1000 WUs queued.

This seems right, my 8 threaded machines are getting 800 each, but the limit does seem to be a 1000 and something, don't think it's exactly 1046.

Soldato
OP
Windows is faster at the moment, rough guess by about 1 - 2 minutes which given their current duration is quite a bit !

I did try to look what machines you had on it but they are hidden.

So hanluc, WHY do you hide your machines?

:D
Unlike you I had a valid reason, I hid them for my stealth attack for top spot on NFS, I didn't want the opposition to see what I was up to, not that they were taking any notice :D

You can see my linux machine, it's currently ranked the top host on NFS :cool:

Soldato
OP
ive still got a bank full of these quick NFS tasks but until my ram turns up tomorrow, I cant run them as the full system just locks up lol

You can set you memory requirements in the boinc client to something like 80% you'll run some tasks but others will say "waiting for memory" or you could change you CPU usage limits to run a limited percentage of cores you have.

ive been on there site and firstly I thought wow its dead... then it clicked that everything they do must be hidden so.... I will email you my little plan to boost us a little!

Got your email and replied. They have hidden groups on their site, one of them being the FB team, I'm registered there and could ask to join but I've a feeling they'll say no :D

Soldato
OP
sent you an email hanluc when you get chance to reply :)

streetlight is having his new cable laid on Tuesday to his garage ,so im sure he'll get a few projects back to number 1 with the amount of systems he has lol

He's done a lot of work on numberfields but for Gridcoin, great if he wants to join us but if mining is his thing then fair enough.

Soldato
OP
Happy to join a project, which ones need help?

Thanks Cadmunkey, I would say Asteroids@home as we've slipped a lot of points from there recently or Citizen Science grid, we haven't scored many points on that.

numberfields needs help to stop it been snatched from us as we are no 1 in that at the moment

I don't think there's any point now, it would just slightly delay the inevitable, better use elsewhere I think.

Soldato
OP
With regards to keeping things private, how about text encryption? I'm not sure if it would even be permitted here though.

https://encipher.it/download
password: hello (as a test)

-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (MingW32)

jA0ECQMCe2nCKIt7/6Wu0mABxNzXfz/IS6Ib2axjcbrDB+QHhvkL4oloHqqujJO1
UpY8qfqidSDtMwp50v0ntVGiaslkaOSB0kT34aHcOQf+Wma0v7LomKjKMXOWnEQG
ciKuXuKFqeQsHwCgXbm6OeY=
=xPZj
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

Soldato
OP
I can't just give it to you!
-----BEGIN PGP MESSAGE-----
Version: GnuPG v2.0.19 (MingW32)

jA0ECQMCw+700tnVd1O10lABTpHsfMvsh59Qs42esTl5gR4El8WiB/fK1ivHKSbG
hQWLJaGEZFU6CFxplsfk+JiwHmH5kmGkHHgNZNhogASrQ2UaYl2lLjquYjx/KojT
ug==
=pAr0
-----END PGP MESSAGE-----

... taunting us with our own encryption method, oh the cheek of it!

Soldato
OP
Climate prediction has been axed from the stats, dropping us 25pts. I can only guess it's to do with the scoring as FreeDC is showing all of today's scores as minuses. Don't if it's a temporary or permanent exclusion, no news on the FB site. Scores between 1st & 2nd now very close.

Back
Top Bottom