Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire - March 29th, 2024

Soldato
Reviews don't bother me. Sure I'll still enjoy it.

Reviews are just one person's opinion and likely not much of a fan of Ghostbusters. I've discovered many brilliant films that critics gave bad reviews to.

Man of Honour
Just out of the cinema.

I enjoyed it! In some ways, it’s one of the better ghostbuster films… not that this is saying much. I definitely thought it was better than Afterlife as it feels like it stands a bit more in its own feet. The cast - and there’s a lot of them - are generally all pretty likeable and the humour mostly lands. There is, to a casual viewer, quite a lot of ‘lore expansion’ that’s definitely different a bit different… I’m sure @steve5424 will be delighted or will explode :p

There are some ‘lesser’ bits too which I’ll put in spoilers, but in short it’s just doesn’t deliver an overwhelmingly satisfying arc.

The big bad is too long coming and defeated super easy - barely an inconvenience. The finale therefore feels underwhelming… despite all the set up being pretty good. I think what they needed was some sharper editing earlier in the film and then more time dealing with the big bad.

I’d give it a 7/10 as a fun ‘popcorn watch’.

Man of Honour
The Kemode review is definitely right that there is a LOT of stuff that doesn’t lead to anything major in a conventional ‘plot development’ sense (and as that takes up space it causes the film to under-deliver on its core plot) but I think he’s overly harsh, as the film never presents those moments like they NEED to go anywhere. The dialogue was lighthearted and knowingly ‘throwaway / not-epic’ and that tone sustains the film well enough.

If you like the sound of Ghostbusters actually getting on with something rather than more ‘original story’ and aren’t too invested in whether the film will set your world on fire… s’alright!

Man of Honour
OP
Well, there was no need to have booked a ticket it seems.

Local friendly cinema has so far sold 12 tickets for the 5pm screening... :eek::(

[Edit] Just found out the large screen were in holds 450 people....

Currently up to 14 people in here. Adverts have nearly finished.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Just home. Total count in the cinema was 15 people. Shockingly empty.

As for the film. It's fun. It's a total popcorn movie. Don't think about it too much. If you're deep into the GB lore, then it'll dig into that a bit too which is nice. But as a Ghostbusters film, Yes. In some ways, it feels more like The Real Ghostbusters cartoon than the previous films.

But yeah, I'll happily go see it again with the other half.

Great to see Slimer again though. :D

Oh, and did anyone else spot the Crystal Skull Vodka? :cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Just home. Total count in the cinema was 15 people. Shockingly empty.

As for the film. It's fun. It's a total popcorn movie. Don't think about it too much. If you're deep into the GB lore, then it'll dig into that a bit too which is nice. But as a Ghostbusters film, Yes. In some ways, it feels more like The Real Ghostbusters cartoon than the previous films.

But yeah, I'll happily go see it again with the other half.

Great to see Slimer again though. :D

Oh, and did anyone else spot the Crystal Skull Vodka? :cry:
Yes it had already been shown in set photos a few weeks back. Dan had to get that on there lol.

Soldato
Did not enjoy it at all. Reliance on too many memberberries from the first two films. Big bad was awful. The comic relief 'firemaster' could be the most unlikeable character in a film seen this year.

Caporegime
There was a literal TONNE of stuff shown in the trailers that didn't make it to the final cut, including a specific scene that made people track down the company that made a particular garment, only for said garment to be in the movie for a moment at most. :o

Overall I think it was OK at best, but the whole Frozen Empire name coupled with the movie posters that portrayed exploration of a frozen city imo really didn't even remotely come close to materialising. It was more like slightly nippy cul-de-sac than Frozen Empire.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP

‘Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire’ Still Looking To Bust Between $42M-$44M Opening – Saturday AM Box Office​

Ok, that sounds decent. But it'll be the fans who go now, it's the next couple of weeks that will matter more.

It had a $16million opening day with a budget of $100million isn't bad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom