Official Spider-Man 2 (PS5) Thread - 30fps, 40fps, 60fps, 120fps! (*Spoilers Inside*)

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Finished it this morning. The last half of the actual story was a better romp. Anything that was action oriented was great. All the rest of the social drivel can get in the bin, like the Brooklyn Vision missions etc.

The flying took away the scale of the city for me. Not having to worry about looking for buildings to latch on to and just soaring above them made it feel smaller than the first. Additionally you don't need to be on the ground almost ever, so it lost the perspective from the ground compared to the first.

Combat was ok but just ended up being a get-them-in-the-air cheesefest. Too much sniper dodging. I think the first felt closer to batman for combat, this moved away from it.

Would give it 7/10 overall.
Great production values and set pieces, spoiled by banal friendship/family stories and lacklustre side content.

Caporegime
OP
Which character you were not expecting?

Bare in mind I only really watch the trailer for a game before deciding to buy it, and I don't recall this bit in the trailers:

Mary Jane turning into the symbiote "Scream". A relatively short section of the game, but unexpected nonetheless. When I saw the Flames guy steal the red symbiote I half thought maybe they wou;d introduce Carnage at the end of the story, but I think it's relatively obvious they are saving that for the 3rd game! Maybe some DLC for this game if we're lucky, like Black Cat being in the Spider-Man 1 DLC

rp2000

Associate
This game has crashed on me 4 times now, and I only started playing it on Sunday

Pretty poor for a AAA console game IMO.
Genuinely wonder what is causing it, what mode are you playing on? Performance or Fidelity?

I've been playing since it released and have had 0 crashes and only had 1 bug where the game went into slow motion for about 10 seconds then sorted itself out.

Caporegime
Genuinely wonder what is causing it, what mode are you playing on? Performance or Fidelity?

I've been playing since it released and have had 0 crashes and only had 1 bug where the game went into slow motion for about 10 seconds then sorted itself out.
120hz/Fidelity/Smoothed with HDR

Associate
I have heard that 120Hz Smoothed is crashing more often than the rest. Mine crashed 2 times during entire story.
I had 2 bugs that required reload of mission though.

Soldato
No crashes for me but I’m finding it very repetitive. Tbh I think I prefer the first if I’m honest. The game is pretty much a button mash or timed Button pushes. The story is good but way too much filler and family, Race stuff etc. It’s definitely picked up towards the end but it’s one to complete and move on for me. Looking forward to getting back into Baulders gate…..

Last edited:
Soldato
Completed this one, had a few crashes and bugs along the way though.

Game was like "press this button combo to do this move" and it simply wouldn't work, got stuck a couple of times and had to reload as well.

I liked the game but it did suffer from the usual thing of trying a bit too hard to be inclusive/tickbox all the things, I just want a fun action game!

Caporegime
OP
I played the whole thing in Performance RT (as my TV doesn't support the higher modes).

Had 1 proper crash, as someone else described above, I got stuck in some QTE and I couldn't press the button so I had to restart.
A couple of times I got stuck on some train tracks or tunnels, but jumping and moving around enough eventually freed me. Subtitles issue gets worse as the storyline progresses as well, but I ignore them anyway. Bit of pop up/pop in here and there.

I'm sure they will release some patches for these issues, although the hardcore (like me) will have clocked the game by the time that happens....

I'm sure I will get 100% trophies in a day or so, but I am certain, when i'm bored, I'll come back to this game just to randomly fly around and swing through NYC.

rp2000

Caporegime
OP
The game just updated. Let’s see what they’ve fixed/broken.

Today's patch corrects an error where the Cuban flag was incorrectly displayed instead of the Puerto Rican flag. We understand that accurate representation matters, and greatly regret this error. We sincerely apologize and will do better in the future.

General Fixes & Polish:
  • Addressed an issue where an incorrect flag was displayed
  • Addressed an issue where models would not load properly after long play sessions
  • Addressed an issue where The Amazing 2 Suit's Spider logo appeared too bright
  • Improved stability

Edit: Just realised there is no NG+ mode! a quick google says they plan to add it later, along with the ability to redo missions. Bit annoying.

rp2000

Last edited:
Associate

Edit: Just realised there is no NG+ mode! a quick google says they plan to add it later, along with the ability to redo missions. Bit annoying.

rp2000
Yeah, smacks a bit of the get game out the door and add polish/missing features later. Which is not usually how Insomniac operate - I think their hand has been forced by Sony. This year hasn't been a particularly great one for Sony, and things are looking a bit lean for triple A 1st party releases next year too.

For the record, I've been playing in 120 Hz/ VRR/fidelity/smoothed too and haven't had any crashes ... yet, but I have stumbled across several audio, graphical and subtitle bugs.

Caporegime
OP
There is some options in the game settings to:

1) Change game speed to 30, 50, 70 percent (you can bind this to left or right dpad)
2) Fall damage.

Doing a fight or a flight in the city at 30% speed is amazing. You see every single detail in the animations, which is awesome.

For the fall damage, I just climb a tall tower and dive to the ground for an instant suicide!

rp2000

Soldato
Not sure I'm enjoying this.

Don't get me wrong, on fidelity mode the graphics are insane, and the world feels properly lived in. I just landed on a rooftop where they had a tennis court and there were loads of people watching, and the gameplay of the tennis looked genuine. Nice little moment.

Whizzing around NY is great and I do rate the web/flying suit, but feels very similar to Miles Morales (which I preferred from the off).

I don't know, it's just not grabbing me. I wanted something to really dig my heels into but I put an hour or two into each session and I'm really not fussed about it, almost forcing my way back to turning it back on because I paid £60 for it.

We'll see.

Mario Wonder had like 1% extra on MetaCritic, but to my money it's a far superior game to Spidey.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom