Raspberry Pi 5 Announced!

Soldato
My ordered from Pi Hut has arrived today, just getting a USB stick with Ubuntu onto it so that I can get a Plex server set up. Currently using my main desktop (Xeon) for that which uses a tad more electric.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Yeah the official Pi5 case is fine for now, the standard Argon one I usually buy looks like it will be available soon.
Personally though I think the one Pi5 I have setup with my NAS, emby, etc will be fine in that case, in the long run I hope they release a Pi5 version of the Argon Neo NAS server case

Associate
Somehow went below my radar just how much faster this is than the Pi 4. Hope the Rapid stock checker is right and they are indeed in stock because I ordered one to play around with.

Commissario
Somehow went below my radar just how much faster this is than the Pi 4. Hope the Rapid stock checker is right and they are indeed in stock because I ordered one to play around with.
To put it into real terms, I run some amateur radio software on my Pi5 which includes a database lookup.

On the Pi4 with SD card, that lookup took 20 seconds.
I changed it so it was on an SSD and it reduced to 6 seconds.
On a Pi5 with the same SSD, that search now takes under 2 seconds.

Soldato
Pimoroni are releasing an NVMe base at some point soon, bargain at £13.50.

It also supports PCIe 3.0, I think Jeff Geerling got the Pi 5 working at those speeds with some basic tinkering.

Soldato

Jeff Geerling are testing PCI Express adapter with old discrete GPUs running on Raspberry Pi 5.

Discrete GPUs Jeff current testing are:

AMD Radeon HD 7470 1GB
XFX AMD Radeon RX 460 4GB
AMD Radeon RX 6700 XT 12GB
EVGA Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti

Soldato
Pimoroni are releasing an NVMe base at some point soon, bargain at £13.50.

It also supports PCIe 3.0, I think Jeff Geerling got the Pi 5 working at those speeds with some basic tinkering.
Nice

Back
Top Bottom