How long do dell normally take?

Associate
The frame rate was a bit smoother than i expected but I think the gfx are deffinitely the limiting factor. The 3450 is excellent at running slightly older games such as css, wow etc though which will keep me happy as I don't have the spare cash to buy all the new titles at the moment lol.

Soldato
Yeah I think I might buy orange box to keep me occupied if the boredom creeps in :p

Taken a few pics but I'll have to get my bro to get them off his camera later today.

Can't capture the backlit keyboard with the camera as it doesn't have manual settings so whacks the iso up.. However, it's awesome. After about 10secs of no action, it fades out, then when you press a key again it fades on again. Looks lovely too!

Last edited:
Associate
damn you lot, damn you all!!! :) i'm still waiting for my dad to put mine in the post, he's had it for over a week now, sitting in its box, by the front door!!! I need him to send it to me here in Denmark. I might have to go over his head soon and talk to my step mum, get her to give him some grief, so he pulls fis finger out of his backside and sends it.

Soldato
With my 3gb, t5750 and radeon 3450 I get 25fps constant (just checked) with a few of the "eye candy things" switched off, 1024. Definitely playable, although I wouldn't do MP with it. Looks good to me, even like that - although I'll admit my graphics experience is limited to COD2 in DX7 mode, Pro Evo on the Ps2 and occasionally COD4 on a non-hd tv

Just going to check out HL2's demo.

Given I didn't buy it as a gaming PC, I think it's acceptable performance though. :)

Associate
Mine has been in production for 16 days !!! :rolleyes: I have contacted them and they say it will still be with me by the 22nd of september which is only 5 days away inc a weekend??

How long does it take in the delivery prep section? When do they normally contact you to confirm delivery?

Soldato
Mine has been in production for 16 days !!! :rolleyes: I have contacted them and they say it will still be with me by the 22nd of september which is only 5 days away inc a weekend??

How long does it take in the delivery prep section? When do they normally contact you to confirm delivery?

Did you order from the main site or the outlet? Lots of students going (back) to uni so there are delays (see any thread by FrostedNipple ;))

For those that are interested i've got a Vista 64bit Home Premium DELL OEM DVD on the way :) Sent a note via the Dell customer services web page asking if they could send me one and gave them this part number: N172H VH64SP1. Got a response within 36hrs, they apologised for the delay and said that the DVD would be with me within 3-5days. Got a follow up email today saying it should arrive today or tomorrow :D

Associate
Just check order status and they have changed the date from the 22 sept to the 7 oct nearly six weeks since ordering :mad:, not happy at all, just sent them a lovely email.:p

Associate
All this talk of waiting. I really better get round to ordering a possible Studio 15 as I leave for fresher's on the 5th.

Associate
About the canceling and refund policy:

If you buy something from Dell, they do not start Pre-Production until you payment has gone through, which means the money will not be in your account anymore and canceling the order will mean Dell will have to charge your card back the money, which takes several working days (max 5), then you have to order another one after all that has gone through which is very troublesome... this is assuming that you cannot afford to pay the price of two laptops and can just order another sooner.

About the time it takes to be delivered:

I just ordered my Dell XPS M1730 (Core 2 Duo 2.5 GHz, 4GB RAM, 17" + Webcam, Dual SLi 8800GTX 512MB Cards, Windows Vista Ultimate), and the payment just went through and I received my receipt (19th Sept 08). It is in Pre-Production right now and is estimated to be delivered on or before the 3rd Oct 08. I will give them a call tomorrow and ask if it is possible to find out if all the parts are in stock and if it is possible to rush the order. We shall see how things go. Usually it helps to ask to speak to the Manager.

Good luck guys!

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to emphasize the fact that I made my order for the XPS M1730 on Friday 19th at 5:30PM on the 19th, and I just checked my order history at 4AM on Saturday 20th, and it is now in Production.

To be quite honest, that is very fast... less than 24 hours have passed and the fact I ordered it after 5pm on Friday (meant to be non-working hours?) and its already in the production phase... I might have it on Monday morning at this rate!!!

Soldato
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to emphasize the fact that I made my order for the XPS M1730 on Friday 19th at 5:30PM on the 19th, and I just checked my order history at 4AM on Saturday 20th, and it is now in Production.

To be quite honest, that is very fast... less than 24 hours have passed and the fact I ordered it after 5pm on Friday (meant to be non-working hours?) and its already in the production phase... I might have it on Monday morning at this rate!!!

Might! :)

How much did you pay mate?

Associate
Might! :)

How much did you pay mate?

£1,971.00

When you click on the M1730, there are 3 basic options, I chose the £1,879 option which was the most expensive with Dual SLi 8800 GTX 512MB Cards, and upgraded it to Windows Vista Ultimate for an extra £70. I also thought I would add a gaming headset as my old one broke and there was a 20% off on all headsets deal going on.

I hope that their "Production" phase is going to be smooth, because I did not add any extra hardware, they should have lots of the basic options laying around anyway... its just a case of installing the software and sending it off!

Associate
Sorry for another double post, but wanted to add again the status of my M1730 order.

Ordered on Friday 19/09/08 at 5:30 PM

Order Processing on Friday 19/09/08 at 6:00 PM

Pre-Production on Saturday 20/09/08 at 4:00 AM

Production on Saturday 20/09/08 at 12:00 PM

Delivery Preperation on Monday 22/09/08 at 4:00 PM

Delivery on Monday 22/09/08 at 4:30 PM

So ordered on Friday, and its in the post on Monday... pretty sweet!

Last edited:
Soldato
I bought on Thursday, received my confirmation emails this afternoon and now it's in the production phase to be delivered on or before 1 Oct. This is an outlet item mind - are they usually shorter or longer?

Back
Top Bottom