OcUK DDoS attack - £10,000 reward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This is going to be the best free advertising Ocuk have ever had at this rate!!!!!!!

Nobody will be done for it, Mark wont have to cough up 10K but the advertising will be fantastic!

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Do you know what is being DDoS'd? If it is the DNS servers, a quick fix would be to shift the DNS / WWW Records to an external host for now while you investigate the logs, so the website availability wont be compromised (although i havent got a clue how easy it is to do unfortunately).

It's probably a botnet which are very hard to stop without hard-to-configure ingress/egress firewall rules on a solid gateway.

Associate
It's crazy when you google this, just shows how quickly information spreads nowadays. Of course, this can only work in OcUK's favour. At the very least it may intimidate the attacker.

Man of Honour
This is going to be the best free advertising Ocuk have ever had at this rate!!!!!!!

Nobody will be done for it, Mark wont have to cough up 10K but the advertising will be fantastic!

ok , tin foil hat time, ready for this.

I don't think someone with a grudge against ocuk could muster up a bot net, it's just crazy to think so. (or maybe not ?)

this could be the most cunning plan for publicity ever, the 1 day of down time (done at flick of switch) will more than be made up for extra hits from news sites.

just a idea ;), like I said 'tin foil hat', but it's possible :)

Permabanned
This is like terrorism - you cannot win if you have to react.

A better ploy would have been do not act in a way that creates hate.

Would have saved thousands.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If people are saying DDOS attacks are easy to perform by "script kiddies" and difficult to defend against and to trace, then why do we not come accross them much more often? Like say daily on big websites? I would have thought that by some of the descriptions as to how hard they are to trace, underground hackers would run these sort of things all the time on major sites? It's interesting reading how these things are organised, and frankly I'm quite astonished as to how many sites would be prone to this kind of realtively simple attack. Is it simple though? It sounds like you would have to know what you were doing to properly organize such an attack?

Not what you need in current economic times. Good luck.

They do, but big websites have appropriate protection. We host the webshop for a fairly large lingerie chain and it attracts a big DDOS every 6 months or so, we kind of expect it these days. With the right equipment (either dedicated IDP appliances or carrier grade firewalls) it's easily countered...

Man of Honour
ok , tin foil hat time, ready for this.

I don't think someone with a grudge against ocuk could muster up a bot net, it's just crazy to think so. (or maybe not ?)

this could be the most cunning plan for publicity ever, the 1 day of down time (done at flick of switch) will more than be made up for extra hits from news sites.

just a idea ;), like I said 'tin foil hat', but it's possible :)

=/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom