• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Smack bang in the GTX285 pricing range - nice, seeing as the leaked benchies show the 5870 as being on a par, or a tad faster than it...

I thought the 5850 is on par or just beats it, the 5870 clearly beats it or am i wrong:confused:

Im thinking the price of the 5850 will be around £230, so the GTX 285 will have to drop a awful lot, probably beloew £200 to even compete surely?

Soldato
Seems that crossfire does not get the same kind of boost in crysis on the 5870 compared to sli on the gtx285 as the 5870 is way faster than the gtx285.

Yep, from those crysis benchmarks. A single HD 5870 destroys a gtx 285, but loses ground with a dual setup.

Most probably a driver problem though. We always see large gains in crossfire as newer drivers are released.

Associate
I might have misinterpreted the benchies I have seen [only Toms italian site so far - I can't take any more Google Translation tonight] but I got the impression that the 5870 is giving the 285 a serious run for it's money in almost every respect - but it only comprehensively whups it on certian games, as a single card solution; I've ignored the CF results as I only have a single PCI-E slot, though...;)

By the end of today though, most hardware sites should have comprehensive benchmarks and reviews [as I imagine they have had the hardware for a good few days and have written their pieces already] and we should have a better picture from across the board as to how the 58xx series performs, especially comared to the price.

Edit to concur with Ghost on the driver side - first release drivers are never perfectly optimised.

Soldato
Also looks like the rumours about HD5870 being 1.6x the performance of HD 4890 seem to be good.

The specs are 850mhz (same as hd4890) with everything being doubled apart from memory bandwidth.

hd5870.png

Yet we don't get double the performance of a HD4890 which it should theoretically have.

Last edited:
Soldato
I might have misinterpreted the benchies I have seen [only Toms italian site so far - I can't take any more Google Translation tonight] but I got the impression that the 5870 is giving the 285 a serious run for it's money in almost every respect - but it only comprehensively whups it on certian games, as a single card solution; I've ignored the CF results as I only have a single PCI-E slot, though...;)

By the end of today though, most hardware sites should have comprehensive benchmarks and reviews [as I imagine they have had the hardware for a good few days and have written their pieces already] and we should have a better picture from across the board as to how the 58xx series performs, especially comared to the price.

Edit to concur with Ghost on the driver side - first release drivers are never perfectly optimised.

only as powerful as a GTX 285...dont you mean a 295?...............if so that's a bit dissapointing........... i was expecting it to rape its arse :D

Soldato
Associate
Also looks like the rumours about HD5870 being 1.6x the performance of HD 4890 seem to be good.

The specs are 850mhz (same as hd4890) with everything being doubled apart from memory bandwidth.

hd5870.png

Yet we don't get double the performance of a HD4890 which it should theoretically have.

Its not all that bad, about 50% or so increase in performance, still think the smart money is with 4870x2 since that gets you very very close to the GTX295 and with this card out now, maybe a lot cheaper.

Associate
Ah, I had seen that but couldn't find it!

Do you have a link to the originating article [I note the image appears to have been rehosted] so we can see the methodology/rig spec?

I'm interested in seeing how it runs on a Q6600, not an i7@eleventy gigahertz ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom