• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Discussion On The ATI Radeon 5*** Series Before They Have Been Released Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/09/23/ait-radeon-hd-5870-1gb-review/1

My favourite hardware site has a review up.

Yes, it matches the 4870X2 and 295, but it's power is seen at higher resolutions, rather than improving frame-rates at lower resolutions, compared to the best that the last gen could offer. The conclusion is if you are not gaming at 1920x1200 or over, then the 5870 is not required, and you should wait to see what the 5850 can offer.

The listed price is £309, which is a tenner more than I thought it would be, but I guess we'll have to wait to see what the stockist charge.

EDIT: Overclockers list their stock of 5870s at £299, which is what I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Associate
The only reason im dissapointed is the fact that the hype was so big, the fact that this can keep up with a gtx295 in a lot of games is infact amazing.
And this card really shines the higher res you go, also stating that its only using beta drivers atm, i really do think this card isn't at its peak by far yet.

When the pricd drops i may just add another tbh.

Associate
I'm not disappointed at all. I can get 295 performance in a single GPU. And that's before mature drivers and DX11. It uses far less electricity, and is much cheaper than the 295. If you have a cutting-edge last-gen graphics solution, then this won't be an improvement, but did you really think it would be?

Associate
I'm not disappointed at all. I can get 295 performance in a single GPU. And that's before mature drivers and DX11. It uses far less electricity, and is much cheaper than the 295. If you have a cutting-edge last-gen graphics solution, then this won't be an improvement, but did you really think it would be?

Well the hype said otherwise, i guess the lower wattage is a massive plus.
My electric bill did go up £55 last month :(

Associate
Reading from the reviews the HD5870 falls rather short of 295 performance, even the 4870x2 beats it, which is rather embarrassing for ATI as its EOL.

Lets hope the drivers sort it out though.

Associate
I'm sure they will do, but remember they did say its double performance than a 4870.
So its still a plus, atm you'll be paying premium for eyefinity and DX11 capability.

I had several noticable improvements for my 4870 drivers, so as this is till using beta, im sure this will get a hell of a lot better.

Soldato
The only reason im dissapointed is the fact that the hype was so big

Yes, but a bit of hype's always good for some speculative entertainment. :)

Realistically, this card is about where you'd expect the newest technology to be at. x2 cards and SLI have sort of spoiled us (benchmark-wise) because they essentially give us the next generation of single GPU cards early.

I suspect the 6 screen thing is what really drew the extra attention at first, but I already knew that my 1st generation 260GTX can handle three very well (x2fsaa) already in many games/sims. So I was prepared for a little bit of a let down in that respect. It looked impressive in the clips, but the 'old' generation of hardware's pretty impressive already.

Andrew McP

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Ordered mine plus some more stuff.

Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (Socket 1366) PCI-Express DDR3 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 920 D0 Stepping (SLBEJ) 2.66Ghz (Nehalem) (Socket LGA1366)
OCZ Reaper 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) Tri-Channel
Corsair TX850w SLI PSU
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache - OEM (HD103SJ)
Roccat Kone V2 Max Customisation Gaming Mouse
3xAkasa AK-FN053 120mm Smart fan (Blue)
3xAkasa AK-FN051 80mm Smart Fan (Blue)
2xAkasa AK-CB002 PWM Fan Splitter Cable

Prob get another 5870 at xmas for some crossfire action :)

The 5870 replaces two 4870's in xfire. May not be much of a perf improvement but it's a single gpu with none of the profilng/scaling issues of dual gpu set ups - and I'll be getting another card later when the price drops a tad anyhow.

I always get the two cards rather than just an x2 - when I upgrade my old stuff goes into my spare pc - so this time round one 4870 will be sold and one 4870 in the spare pc. An x2 would be a waste in the spare. I'll do the same when it comes round to upgrading the 5870's :) besides - two watercooled xfire cards look awesome :)

Soldato
Wheres every-one getting this 5870 beats/same perfomance of GTX295, I havent seen it even come close once out of about 4 reviews I've read. Maybe you mean the GTX285 which is it very close to if not better. But sorry it doesnt touch the 295.....

Associate
Wheres every-one getting this 5870 beats/same perfomance of GTX295, I havent seen it even come close once out of about 4 reviews I've read. Maybe you mean the GTX285 which is it very close to if not better. But sorry it doesnt touch the 295.....

It comes very close within a frame or two in a lot of games, some games such as stalker it doesn't come close. It's a hell of a lot faster than a gtx285..

But you dont reap the best benefits until higher resoltions were it can actually beat it slightly.

But all depends on what games you play as it always has been.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

But sorry it doesnt touch the 295.....

I've taken all the reviews, added up the scores of the 5870 and 295 @ 1920x1200 (which is the res I game at) and the 5870 is 3.9% slower than a gtx295 - seems pretty close to me. I imagine there is more than 3.9% perf improvement to come from the drivers whereas I think the 295 drivers have maxed out by now (at least I hope they have after 9 months!).

Where min framerates are available, it comes out 15% higher than the gtx295. Min frame rates really matter in real world gaming. The dual gpu architecture of the 295 really hurts min frame rates.

And it's not just frame rates - it features - it's power consumption etc. When all these are taken into account, the 5870 stomps all over the 295.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

Oh I see its quite a good cards with res 2500*+ which no-one uses

Did you even read my post?

besides, plenty of people use 2560x displays - esp if they are splashing £300 on a gfx card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom