• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5870 Needs 2 monitors DVI and 1 Display Port

Soldato
Many thanks for trying this.

I was also concerned about needing Displayport.

I expect there will be active adapters soon enough.

I don't object to spending ~£50 on an adapter as long as I can use 3x cheaper monitors.

Very interested in going Eyefinity...

Associate
OP
Soldato
Tbh if theres any monitors out in the next couple of months id rather pay that extra $100 on a DP version monitor than an adapter.

Excpt if you already have a monitor and want to buy two more matching ones...

(e.g. Samsung SM2443BW in my case).

But yes, if you aren't going to be using your monitor or need to get a new one anyway...

Soldato
A straight through Display port to DVI cable wouldn't do it? Would it? :p

+ VGA isn't compatible is it? Display port to VGA

Straight through no. There's a little circuit board in the low res ones and something a bit more substantial in the higher res ones. I have seen DP to VGA adapters.

I have Dell links, not sure if they're classed as competition. Anyway search Dell for

Dell DisplayPort-to-DVI Adapter - Kit (470-10983) (low res to 1920x1200) £26.44
Dell Cable : Display Port to VGA (Single Link) Adapter (Kit) (470-11404) £28.74

Soldato
Would those due the job? As all other ones I have seen which have been powered via USB have been around $99. I'm not sure if it's to due with Dual-Link and Single-Link, I have no idea whats that means personally :p

I'm just trying to find a cable/adapter that will work with Eyefinity... Cheaper the better hehe. I'm guessing with it being so early no has really tested adapters. Also with your CF setup can you have 2 DVIs on 1 card with 1 DVI on the other?

Associate
DisplayPort makes it all possible
Modern graphics cards are currently limited to two displays (with only a very few notable exceptions) and are basically standardized on a pair of dual-link DVI outputs that support resolutions as high as 2560x1600. There are limitations to that technology though in that DVI requires a lot of pint outputs from the GPU and dedicated clocking hardware for each display. That takes up unnecessary die space and board area and has made the move to more than two displays per card a difficult one. The new DisplayPort standard greatly helps in this regard as it uses the same number of IO pins that single-link DVI port uses to run at full 2560x1600 resolution panel without the need for dedicated clock signals for each display.
http://www.pcper.com/comments.php?nid=7796

Last edited:
Soldato
Would those due the job? As all other ones I have seen which have been powered via USB have been around $99. I'm not sure if it's to due with Dual-Link and Single-Link, I have no idea whats that means personally :p

I'm just trying to find a cable/adapter that will work with Eyefinity... Cheaper the better hehe. I'm guessing with it being so early no has really tested adapters. Also with your CF setup can you have 2 DVIs on 1 card with 1 DVI on the other?
I pretty sure 470-10983 will work upto the single link bandwidth threshold, 1920x1200@60hz. Dual link is just that, doubled up cabling, bandwidth ect. Means higher resolutions, frequency & bit depth.

I only have the one monitor at the moment so can't answer the second part.

Last edited:
Associate
Yes it will work its in 1 of them reviews with 3x dell monitors.

Is that the 470-10983 thats in one of the reviews. I'm stuck two ways with this, first off need a particular adapter to use Eyefinity and secondly my TH2Go will not work at 5040x1050.

If I can't get it to work one way or another I will have to RMA I think which would be a shame.

Regards
Fred

Permabanned
So can I use two DVI monitors and one DP monitor?

Can I use them at different resolutions too?

Was thinking of getting a Dell 3008 to go with two Samsung SM2693HM's

They need to be the same resolution if you want to use Eyefinity.

Without using Eyefinity, they'll all work, they just won't appear as one large screen to windows.

You'll just have the option to span the desktop.

Associate
I've sent mine back, I could not find an active adapter anywhere and it doesn't work with TH2Go either. The GTX280 is back in at the moment but think I'm going to take a punt on a GTX295.

Whilst this could be seen as quitting early, I don't really have much time for this as I'm doing 15 hour plus days, already have a triplehead setup and when I do get a chance to game I want all three monitors working. I'll wait and see how it pans out for you guys.

The card seemed very good, although I found it noisy compared to the GTX280.

Regards
Fred

Back
Top Bottom