*** Dell UltraSharp U2410 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor @ £447.99 inc VAT ***

Associate
Someone will have to pry my 2405fpw from my cold dead fingers before I buy anything new. Single best PC part I have ever purchased, and one of the only times I've been fully satisfied with being an early adopter. Not a dead pixel on it!

Maybe when an affordable well performing 120HZ (under 200 quid for a 1080p+er) then Ill consider it

Associate
I freelance part-time as a web developer, and needed a new monitor to go with my new rig - used primarily for work, but also for the occasional bit of gaming.

I purchased a U2410 from OCUK, but ended up returning it (DSR 7-Days) because it was lacking a "Work Order Number" (effectively making the warranty useless, as described elsewhere in this thread), seemed to have a green tint across the entire panel (although only I could see it and several friends thought I was going mad) and found I was constantly fighting with the settings to get the monitor useable without either straining or squinting my eyes (the sharpness/focus just seemed 'off').

Before returning it, I picked up another U2410 from another supplier, and ran the two side by side. Both screens are Czech, and from the August 2009 batch. I could definately notice a difference - the second monitor does not suffer from the green tint or the 'straining eye' problems experienced on the original unit, and came complete with the Work Order Number on the packaging.

I have to say, this second unit is a fantastic monitor, and I am very happy with it - to the extent that I am considering buying another. Compared to the rubbish 22" Iiyama I use in the office (in the other half of my time) it just screams quality, and is honestly a pleasure to use. The colours do seem 'cooler' when compared to my laptop display, but I am willing to put that down to accuracy and the quality of the monitor (£450 monitor vs. £600 laptop...), and whilst I did have a slight green/pink issue, it was barely noticeable across a plain white background and seems to have become less noticable with time. Had I not looked for it, I would probably not have seen it! Neither U2410 I have had has suffered from dead or stuck pixels (I expect most of these are panel lottery refurbs on warranty claims?), and I have noticed no noticable input lag in games. My only real gripe is the slight 'dirty window' effect on light backgrounds (that people have complained about elsewhere) when you get close to the screen, caused by the anti-glare coating.

IMO, if you are looking for a perfect monitor, good luck! The U2410 is certainly not perfect, but what monitor is? If you are looking for a monitor with good colour accuracy, good for games and film, good for work and good for web, the U2410 fits the bill - and at a price that is (for an IPS monitor) altogether quite reasonable.

Last edited:
Associate
I still think it's hillarious..........Introduce a zero dead pixel warranty but not bother to check that more than half of your screens are getting off the production line with dead pixels.

Amazing.

Soldato
The never ending search for the perfect LCD continues...I noticed apple released a new version of the imac yesterday, complete with 1920x1080 21.5" or 2560x1440 27" (16:9) LED backlit ips panels, i'm hoping these panels will filter down to some PC monitors.

Associate
The never ending search for the perfect LCD continues...I noticed apple released a new version of the imac yesterday, complete with 1920x1080 21.5" or 2560x1440 27" (16:9) LED backlit ips panels, i'm hoping these panels will filter down to some PC monitors.
I'd like an LED 24" but 16:10 all the way, I can't stand 16:9 why wouldn't I want extra vertical height?

Associate
Well I just registered to just post that it's not all bad news with these screens. I ordered one last week from ****** and was perfect at first - until an hour later 2 pixels stuck (one on black and on blue). Back that went!

My second screen arrived yesterday and is perfect, no dead pixels so far (after 8 hours or so of use) and no tint/burn that so many people have complained about here.

Associate
I finally got round to hooking mine up to my pc and omg... so impressed. All I do most of the time is play games, I haven't noticed any tint issue, however I do get lots of backlight bleed in the bottom left hand corner, but the picture quailty has made me hang on to it... ;)

Associate
does EIZO have a dead pixal policy?
have you seen one of these in action?
Does EIZO make their own panels?
Why are they so expensive?

Because they have MUCH better QC and better controller/PCB circuitry than Dell. There's only a few companies in the world who manufactures panels and most of them are asian companies, like LG, Samsung, Hitachi, Sharp, Chimei,AUO and etc.

Associate
I still think it's hillarious..........Introduce a zero dead pixel warranty but not bother to check that more than half of your screens are getting off the production line with dead pixels.

Amazing.

They probably hope that people won't bother/notice. Not everyone is as discerning as us lot!

Associate
The HP LP2475 seems to be better, certainly not heard of so many problems.
The LP2475 uses (an earlier revision of) the exact same panel, so it's prone to the exact same issues. The main difference is the U2410 has a through mode for gaming and a 12 bit LUT so it can provide a better simulated sRGB/Adobe mode. So, if that's yer choice, you're better off with the U2410.

The only "real" issues with the U2410 (other than the usual dead pixel risks you get with any monitor) are the current sRGB mode looks grainy on dark images (something which can "probably" be improved in a firmware revision), and the uniformity issues to do with tints on white and grey backgrounds, which is actually related to IPS panel manufacturing (these issues are likely to become more noticeable as the panel sizes increase).

The main solution to the tint issue isn't actually stricter quality control (because they're unlikely to ditch the worst 25% of their panels just to keep us happier) but uniformity controls which allow you to adjust different regions of the screen so that they match. This is a realistic direction for the U2410 to go in because it now contains a LUT, so they just need to add enough features so that it can vary different zones so that they match each other better. This would likely have to be done at the factory, and is basically like the Colorcomp idea used on the more expensive NEC displays. Displays like Eizo already provide similar features too. Personally, the issue is bad enough that I think this should no longer be viewed as an optional "luxury" extra, but a basic requirement for screens in this price range.

The reason it's probably reported more in the U2410's case is more people, who work with things like Photoshop, probably bought the U2410 Vs the HP because of the sRGB mode, and they're more prone than the average consumer when it comes to picking up these faults. Many people won't notice the tint issue unless you point it out to them. Likewise dead pixels. That's why Dell shove out a lot of screens that even their own warranty says shouldn't be regarded as acceptable, because there's enough people willing to put up with the issues (And who'd probably have been far better off buying a TN panel if they're that careless about the images they see).

So if you're picky about sRGB/Adobe mode wait till the next revision. If you're picky about tint - consider much more expensive monitors or join the panel lottery until Dell add uniformity controls. If you're just the average gamer or video viewer then you'll probably be fine with the U2410 even in its current form, but then you'd probably be better off saving yourself money and buying a TN panel perhaps :)

If I was buying right now, if I'm honest I'd wait to see what happens with these new 27" IPS LED backlit screens Apple are using, and which the Dell 2711 might well use. I think LED backlighting may well reduce (but not totally solve) the tint uniformity issues..

Associate
The LP2475 uses (an earlier revision of) the exact same panel, so it's prone to the exact same issues. The main difference is the U2410 has a through mode for gaming and a 12 bit LUT so it can provide a better simulated sRGB/Adobe mode. So, if that's yer choice, you're better off with the U2410.
<snip>.

I was actually having a think about this, as they do indeed use the same panel. Perhaps HP have better QC, or just the newer panel revision is actually worse..

Associate
Fair enough, cheers for all the info ;). It just seemed that a lot of people where complaining of problems with the earlier batches.

Back
Top Bottom