*** The Official HTC Desire (Bravo) Thread! ***

Soldato
If the email is pushed then it may use the battery up more than if email is pulled to the device. TBH, unless you use email in a time critical environment then I dont see why anyone has it set quicker than every 1-2 hours... Unless they want to feel important....
What a weird way to look at it, would you be happy if your SMS messages were bunched up and sent to you every 1-2 hours? I know I wouldn't and that's the same reason I like my personal mail pushed to me.

Soldato
What a weird way to look at it, would you be happy if your SMS messages were bunched up and sent to you every 1-2 hours? I know I wouldn't and that's the same reason I like my personal mail pushed to me.

Nail on head. For those who really don't want push email an option to pull on their schedule should be available though.

Caporegime
LOL seriously if you guys are worried about push email then really theres only one device that does it superbly;).

On my desire i have only a hotmail account...ive disabled the synch on gmail because i get my gmail on my BB9700 and like i said it does it very well.

i have my hotmail checking every few hrs as i dont get a lot of emails on hotmail but its there just in case.

Soldato

Bit diff... Anyone that wants to get a hold of me will text/phone my mobile before they send an email as anyone with my email def has my phone number but not necessarily the other way round

To be fair, I dont use my email very much tho hence my point of view i.e. ppl will call me if urgent, send a text if not so much and send an email... well.. never really.

Apart from attachents, SMS's and current smart phones can handle what an email would do i.e. pictures, weblinks etc.

As I said - my view.

Soldato
Depends on the service. For example, my own email provider does not provide push email unless you pay for it as a seperate service but I can setup my Desire to allow push email with this account and emails are recieved by the device as soon as they hit my server mailbox even when outside the polling interval.

I cant see any other way except for a constant "pinging" action by the phone to check for new emails as the server wont do it unless I pay them money which I dont.

Caporegime
Stoked - I have my Desire - much lighter feeling than the Nexus One.

Being dissappointed to find that the Desire has no Voice Search function I went away and found this:
http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/04/add-voice-search-to-htc-phones/

Also Turn by Turn Maps!
http://nimbu.amorvi.com/2010/04/add-turn-by-turn-navigation-to-htc-desire/

Sorted!

Love it - excellent device.

Awesone stuff Steve...just followed the instructions on the links and have both voice search and google nav working on my Desire.

Gonna try the navigation out later when im out and about..see how good it is...i take it you still get the voices??

Soldato
OP
Awesone stuff Steve...just followed the instructions on the links and have both voice search and google nav working on my Desire.

Gonna try the navigation out later when im out and about..see how good it is...i take it you still get the voices??

theoretically - I've not tried it myself but the map works fine. I'll have to give it a go. I don't actually have a car but when I do hire one I use my Garmin. I was more for everyone elses benifit.

EDIT: Updated the first page. That site also has the nice gallery app from the Nexus - it's much nicer than the HTC one.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
:p

I've backed up all my APK's and my SD Root structure, roll on tomorrow as I am hoping Fareham Vodafone have a Desire in stock, a mate said they had 3 in today before their systems went down so hopefully I can pick it up at lunch.

I'm just going to go with the £30/month tariff because I'm on £24 at the moment with the Magic and I'd rather not have to wait after the weekend plus I'm sure ,Sean wants to get my magic in his hands asap too :p

Apps.jpg

\m/

I will say that Navigon's nav app may be pretty basic compared to Sygic but the voice guidance is superb, crystal clear and the lane assist is nice too. It sort of hand holds you through the most complex junctions as I used it to drive home last night from Terminal 5 and it was more accurate than other NAV units I have used before.

I will use Sygic for routes around town I think and Navigon for routes that seem more complex.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I will say that Navigon's nav app may be pretty basic compared to Sygic but the voice guidance is superb, crystal clear and the lane assist is nice too. It sort of hand holds you through the most complex junctions as I used it to drive home last night from Terminal 5 and it was more accurate than other NAV units I have used before.

I will use Sygic for routes around town I think and Navigon for routes that seem more complex.

What's the damage for the full version?

Soldato
Does anyone know the cheapest place to get this now? Last weekend I was just about to buy it and I thought I'd wait as I'm moving soon and I know the reception for t-mobile is crap in my area.. but now they hiked the prices up so high! Seems ridiculous, over double the amount. So I'm looking for alternatives.

One thing I was considering was just buying a handset off ebay and signing up to the 02 simplicity - does anyone know if I could buy an iphone contract (it gives you more data right?) and have it work in the desire 100%?

Cheers guys.
call them up and say you were going to buy at the old price but then they put it up

They honoured the old price for me (£129 on 18month £20 contract)

Back
Top Bottom