****The Official Samsung Galaxy S II Thread***

Man of Honour
I honestly don't get the complaints about 4.3' screens, unless you have TINY hands they are usually just as comfortable to operate as smaller screens and much nicer to look at.

For instance, I have average size hands and can barely tell the difference between the DHD and iPhone 4 in use.

I don't think they ever need to go above 4.3 though and I doubt they will.

Soldato
I honestly don't get the complaints about 4.3' screens, unless you have TINY hands they are usually just as comfortable to operate as smaller screens and much nicer to look at.

For instance, I have average size hands and can barely tell the difference between the DHD and iPhone 4 in use.

I don't think they ever need to go above 4.3 though and I doubt they will.

I do have tiny hands mate for some reason its a real drag when learning Paul Gilbert stuff on the guitar as I struggle to stretch to play his stuff, the GS is a nice size mind but as I do a lot of walking(no car) I find the I4 the perfect size.

Man of Honour
Probably around the start of March, £500 ish price tag. So I'd imagine we'll be looking at a free phone on £30-35 contracts over 24 months. Hopefully it won't venture into the silly 32GB iPhone pricing.

Can't type for toffee
Don
Im liking the look of this one, Ive just sent back the Motorola Defy as it didnt warrant keeping, was a nice little phone but still prefer my desire. I did really like swype that was pretty cool but the amount of clutter and the Motorola branding :( Returned within 7 days too so theyve reverted my tariff back to what it was. £70 bill this month tho I think its time to go for a £30 contract rather than skimping and trying to make it by on a few hundred mins/texts lol. Will be keeping an eye out on this one unless a HTC comes along at the same time I think

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I actually type much faster using Gingerbread's keyboard! It's punctuation and word suggestions are faster and more accurate than Swype/HTC_IME I find.

Caporegime
Yeah, buy a Motorola instead, who by the way make Samsung look like saints. The Milestone STILL hasn't been updated to Android 2.2 despite repeated promises to the contrary, has recieved every prior update months late... and they also have a policy of hard locking EU phones. But yeah, feel free to go ahead and buy one bgased on your own reasoning... ;)

Overall Samsung are worst than Motorola from what I have read/heard as they do it for all their mobiles, not just a few and plus Samsungs reasoning as to why they don't provide the update really ****es me off and also their ****ty drivers, who would have thought that the GS would need so many lag fixes and updates in order to fix so many issues that shouldn't have been there in the first place, plus considering it was one of the top single core android mobile phone of the last generation of android mobiles, granted it can be solved by rooting and putting a custom ROM on.

Fact is Samsung are not saints but neither are they real sinners, and their phones are slim, have good cameras, and awesome screens.

Can't disagree with you on that now, as that is very true :D

Almost every mobile company have a dodgy update history, you can't keep flogging that dead horse about Samsung any longer.

Again, I know, but just from my experience and other peoples, they seem like the worst to me.

Anyway, after having seen what HTC have got for competing against the rest of the dual core mobiles.......:o and plus the fact that they haven't even got 2.3 running on them has really put me off them now. Will be waiting ages for that 2.3 update, feel sorry for all the desire HD/Z owners now :p, they must be adding more crap/bloat to their HTC sense.

It is looking like this mobile will now be on the top of my list along with the atrix, although as it has been stated before, I don't fancy the atrix due to the bootloader or whatever it is been locked down, so I can't root even if I wanted to :(

As long as there will be a good developing community for the samsung galaxy S2, I am probably 95% sure that I will get this mobile.

Let's just hope there is a really good stock android ROM for this mobile as quickly as possible :p

Although I might hold off for a month after this has been released, as with Samsungs history it's guaranteed that they will release something better within a month :p

Soldato
I don't fancy the atrix due to the bootloader or whatever it is been locked down, so I can't root even if I wanted to :(

Rooting and a locked bootloader are two different things... but Motorola do seem to have locked the Atrix down more that usual (market apk installs only)

All big Android manufactures are the same really, 1 incremental update and that's it! Just buy for the current software build and you won't be disappointed.

Soldato
Well HTC's new stuff is a complete let down, they're pretty much mid range now dual core are coming out.

Looks like I might end up with a samsung s2, after I've seen some proper reviews and if it can be given a custom rom if needed...

Soldato
I love my Galaxy S. I'm on 2.2.1 and it's amazingly quick, does everything I need. No issues with the Samsung stuff as I just hide it from my Applications in Launcher Pro.

Can't complain and would certainly look at getting the Galaxy 2 as I love the quality of screen and the look of them.

Only downside is annoyingly short battery life but I'm told that is the same on all new smart phones.

Permabanned
I have thought about it but decided that I will probably have to go over my intended budget to sell my phone and then get galaxy s2. just can't afford to keep up with technology! I like my nexus s and I think it was a great deal. I sometimes forget this is an enthusiast forum :)

It's not like these new dual core handsets were unexpected, even when the Nexus S came out.

Man of Honour
Only downside is annoyingly short battery life but I'm told that is the same on all new smart phones.

Well, the SGS2 has a 1650mAh battery, which is quite big compared to the Desire HD for example having a 1200mAh battery.

I think the SGS2 will easily last a full day of very heavy usage and probably go for 2-3 days at least with moderate usage.

We should also take into account the new SAMOLED Plus screens consume even less power than SAMOLED ones, nevermind SLCD ones.

I wouldn't worry about that too much :)

Back
Top Bottom