BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Associate
So, I'm finally getting Infinity unlimited in a couple of weeks. I got a letter from BT with all the details this morning. What was interesting is that I'm signing onto a 12 month contract, not an 18 month one as suggested on the Infinity site.

Is this a typo or for real?

Associate
So, I'm finally getting Infinity unlimited in a couple of weeks. I got a letter from BT with all the details this morning. What was interesting is that I'm signing onto a 12 month contract, not an 18 month one as suggested on the Infinity site.

Is this a typo or for real?

What did you do to get a letter? I've registered online but not heard anything yet...

The BT infinity availability checker has changed from 31 December 2010, 31 March 2011, 31 June and is now saying 16 March 2011! I hope that finally, finally I'm about to get a decent connection. They estimate 30.8 Mbps down and 6.8 up, that would be awesome, for comparison this is what I've had to put up with for the last 6 years...

1185586342.png

Fingers crossed!

Soldato
Does anyone know if you can get any decent cashback on Infinity deals with the likes of topcashback? I see BT broadband on there but not sure if Infinity is included.

Associate
My exchange is Infinity enabled but does my current speed from that exchange bear any significance on what my Infinity speeds will be like? ie, slow adsl means poor infinity?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

My exchange is Infinity enabled but does my current speed from that exchange bear any significance on what my Infinity speeds will be like? ie, slow adsl means poor infinity?

It goes from distance to the local green cabinet, not the exchange.

(No)

Soldato

You will get a much faster speed my sister has had it fitted a few weeks ago, before she struggled to get 1 meg on bt most of the time it was half that, she is on infinity now at 32 meg she is very happy.

Have a look on the bt infinity site and see what speed it says you should get, that's what it gives for me sister but her download is higher but upload is slow as she is on one of the lower packages.
Fibre optic broadband
You can get fibre optic broadband with speeds of up to 40Mb now.
28.7Mb download
6.8Mb upload

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone know if you can get any decent cashback on Infinity deals with the likes of topcashback? I see BT broadband on there but not sure if Infinity is included.

£50 with quidco and topcashback for internet only. infinity is included in the bt broadband.

Soldato
I'm with BT Infinity, speed is great:
40MB/s Down & 8MB/s Up

However the 300Gb FUP sucks :(

And the BTFon is also really handy when your out and about with your smartphone or lappy :)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm with BT Infinity, speed is great:
40MB/s Down & 8MB/s Up

However the 300Gb FUP sucks :(

The 300GB FUP is being removed from April. BT will still throttle P2P at peak times, but there will be no defined usage limit, so you won't have your speed reduced if you go over 300GB.

BT Total Broadband and BT Infinity customers will benefit from the removal of Fair Usage Policy (FUP) controls when they begin to be removed from April 2011. Once removed, heavy user customers will be able to download/stream as much as they wish without having their speeds restricted.

BT will remove the FUP controls currently applied to customers with ‘atypical’ usage. Today atypical users are restricted at 300GB usage and account for less than 0.5% of the BT customer base. BT will not target any individuals with restrictions based on usage levels. However, we still have traffic management policies that will restrict certain applications / protocols, such as P2P, when the network is busy.

As BT continues to invest in the network and network bandwidth we can now remove these restrictions and ensure the experience of the wider customer base.

Soldato
Get mine fitted on thursday, took some doing for Bt to put an order in below 15mb, checker says il get 7mb., im quite far from the cab, but im getting 1st month free and can get out anytime.

Just hope i get a bit more than 7mb, maybe 15, all depends how good my copper is! still better than the 2mb i get now.

Pic below just shows you how it tails off compared to other phone numbers on our road

RSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.jpg

Associate
Get mine fitted on thursday, took some doing for Bt to put an order in below 15mb, checker says il get 7mb., im quite far from the cab, but im getting 1st month free and can get out anytime.

Just hope i get a bit more than 7mb, maybe 15, all depends how good my copper is! still better than the 2mb i get now.

Pic below just shows you how it tails off compared to other phone numbers on our road

I'd have thought you would get a lot more than 7meg, you should be able to get 20meg at about 1.5km line length on VDSL2, so I'd guess around 20-25meg for you if the copper is good.

I wish they'd start enabling more cabinets in Chesterfield, seems very random the way they've done it. Mine went in back in November and is still showing March 31st.

Soldato
I'd have thought you would get a lot more than 7meg, you should be able to get 20meg at about 1.5km line length on VDSL2, so I'd guess around 20-25meg for you if the copper is good.

I wish they'd start enabling more cabinets in Chesterfield, seems very random the way they've done it. Mine went in back in November and is still showing March 31st.

well ive got my home hub 3, not long now, the checkers meant to under estimate it, i hope so !

My cabinet was december 31st, then it got put back to 31st march, then changed to live on feb 17th ish.

Emailed the ceo of bt to get it fitted on 2nd of march, things went very quickly and instal date of 10th :D

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
The 300GB FUP is being removed from April. BT will still throttle P2P at peak times, but there will be no defined usage limit, so you won't have your speed reduced if you go over 300GB.

Gotta love traffic shaping. Nice marketing stunt, BT. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom