BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
The 300GB FUP is being removed from April. BT will still throttle P2P at peak times, but there will be no defined usage limit, so you won't have your speed reduced if you go over 300GB.

I take it that is good news and another positive for Infinity? I am thinking of getting it as there is nothing faster in my area. If downloading through newsgroups will my connection be slowed down? If its over SSL I am guessing they won't know what kind of traffic it is or perhaps it goes by which ports are being used? I haven't a clue!

Associate
Gotta love traffic shaping. Nice marketing stunt, BT. :rolleyes:

As far as I know the only traffic shaping BT do on Infinity is P2P at peak times. I don't see how that's a big problem. Newsgroups using SSL run at full speed all the time from what I've read. If anyone still uses P2P these days then you can leave it on overnight and download a heck of a lot with an uncapped 40meg FTTC connection.

Doesn't seem like a marketing stunt to me, seems like a very good step forward.

Associate
The source of the statement posted earlyer: http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/BT-TO-SCRAP-300GB-LIMIT/m-p/141429#M65392

This is a welcome move, atm come 5pm I stop getting selected host for most games, still perfectly playable but not as good as pre 5pm (even though I'm within FUP limits) so hopefully their FUP enforcement improves this when it dissapears.

As long as the service doesn't suffer this is good news in my book. No need to keep looking over my shoulder anymore either, even though I use knowhere near 300GB I'm still paranoid about going over.

Nice one BT, just don't let us down.

Soldato
Get mine fitted on thursday, took some doing for Bt to put an order in below 15mb, checker says il get 7mb., im quite far from the cab, but im getting 1st month free and can get out anytime.

Urgh. I've been wondering for a while why I seem to be ineligible for Infinity when people up the road can get it. Just looked on the BT Wholesale site and it says my predicted speed is 13.6Mbps - if BT are only connecting lines over 15Mbps, that'll be why :(

I can't say I really understand that policy. 13.6 might not be 40, but it's a damn sight better than the 3 we get currently! I suppose BT are trying to perserve the perception of the service as 'next-generation'.

You had to go all the way to the CEO before they would enable it?

Soldato
Urgh. I've been wondering for a while why I seem to be ineligible for Infinity when people up the road can get it. Just looked on the BT Wholesale site and it says my predicted speed is 13.6Mbps - if BT are only connecting lines over 15Mbps, that'll be why :(

I can't say I really understand that policy. 13.6 might not be 40, but it's a damn sight better than the 3 we get currently! I suppose BT are trying to perserve the perception of the service as 'next-generation'.

IIRC, BT Wholesale will take an FTTC with a minimum speed of 5Mbps. It's just BT Retail (ie Infinity) that are sticking to the 15Mbps minimum. Speak to a better ISP.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
This is a welcome move, atm come 5pm I stop getting selected host for most games, still perfectly playable but not as good as pre 5pm (even though I'm within FUP limits) so hopefully their FUP enforcement improves this when it dissapears.

The removal of FUP won't help you if you're already suffering from congestion.

Doesn't seem like a marketing stunt to me, seems like a very good step forward.

They need something to compete against Sky Unlimited.

Soldato

Yes, i rang bt after i heard of a few others who were below the 15mb limit, they told me to ask for "bt broadband with fibre option 3" thing is the operator had it on her screen, but she said it wasnt infinity, and wouldnt let me order it.

So i emailed the ceo, he emailed me back, then his assistant rang me, told me about the trial, the next day a bloke rang me and put my order through, no contract, 1 month free, free home hub 3, no postage to pay, install date of 10/03/2011 :)

Then the ceo's assistant emailed me again telling me this :

"I believe you've been contacted by the trial team for the new product and they've placed an order for you to be part of it. As it is a trial there will be specific people to deal with it, I'm sure you are aware but their number is xxxxxxxxxxxxx. It looks like Ian got that ball rolling.

Thanks for raising this issue, it's highlighted the need for some briefings to be sent for the wider BT teams so that they are aware and it’s given me some points of contact in case I have anyone else asking about it.

I would be grateful if you could give me a quick call or e-mail just to confirm if it's OK for me to step out of the loop or if there's anything else I can help you with. If I don’t hear from you by Wednesday I'll close my case down. Make sure you keep my details in case you need any assistance in future.

Many thanks.

Vicky

IIRC, BT Wholesale will take an FTTC with a minimum speed of 5Mbps. It's just BT Retail (ie Infinity) that are sticking to the 15Mbps minimum. Speak to a better ISP.

Better isp's who charge a hell of a lot more than BT retail, charge you for installation , charge huge amounts for how much you use, BT is value here !

Associate
Does anyone know any ISP that will offer a one month contract on FTTC.

We are currently on Sky at ~0.4Mbps due to be seven odd kms from the exchange as the line goes in Farnborough.

Checker says June 2011 for FTTC although this has been moved from Dec 10 to Mar 11 to Jun 11 so we'll see on that one.

Problem is we are moving to Oz in January next year and I don't want to sign up to a long contract but am desperate to move to a better service!

Regards,

Simpic

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
You talked congestion, congestion would mean low throughput and possibly high latency. Which is fine too. It's not congestion.

There is a latency and/or throughput issue somewhere. You admitted it yourself.

Back
Top Bottom