1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. n3vrmind

Wise Guy

I got mine installed on the 10th, by the 19th id easily hit 270gb and am now waiting it out for the counter to reset for next month

It wont be this bad every month but i had a fairly long backlog i was chewing through slowly on my previous 2mb (never in a million years!) adsl connection from O2

As for performance, torrents are shaped regardless of if you have hit your cap or not. Everything else is fine and to be honest it hasnt really bothered me so far as i run utorrent on my hp mediasmart box thats on 24/7, compared to what i had previously this is pretty awesome but its not hard to beat since i wasnt even able to watch low res clips on youtube without allowing the entire thing to prebuffer

Actual line performance came out higher than was quoted too
    [​IMG]

2. redrooster303

Wise Guy

I get 37mb/s download and 8mb/s upload. As for in the evenings some aspects do slow down but that'll really only bother file sharers.

3. Tythus

Gangster

I would love it but i doubt I will see it until post 2015 in my area even with 5k houses in the exchange area as we are still on 'ADSL MAX' which is unfit for purpose with 4-5 people using it.

4. Overlag

Capodecina

[​IMG]

mine is only 2 days old.. i got some teething problems (ie it sometimes drops to 3mb) but its been 100% stable so far. BT have some faults to check out though so hopefully it will pop up to 36mb (what im synced at). :)

5. n3vrmind

Wise Guy

Heres a question, does the cap reset at the start of the month or ever 30/31 days when when you got it installed?

6. Scream

Mobster

Does the speed throttling only take place for p2p so for anything else outside of that is back to the full speed?

7. mufcmark

Hitman

I think there is a problem with my bt infinity. The engineer said it was synced at 37Mb/s but I'm only getting 15 atm.

I should ring them up soon but I'm not complaining, I upgraded from 56kb/s to 1.5mb/s.

8. Orcvader

Capodecina

What download speeds are torrents capped to on the BT Infinity option 2? I'm planning to leave o2 and jump onto this when it gets installed at my exchange in Sept.

9. KIA

Man of Honour

What does the BT speedtest report?

10. Luke_Bowman

Wise Guy

Im having a really hard time knowing what you guys are complaining about. 5-10mb/s? I get 1.4!

11. Guitarman0

Wise Guy

+1 hehe. Infinity are coming to me next month though (fingers crossed). I am slightly skeptical though because the date has been pushed back twice but on the upside I have seen quite a few BT vans around recently :D

12. Jabbs

Sgarrista

If people are waiting for it and have a rough date from samknows or bt site, I would keep checking as my sisters wasn't meant to go live until March 31'st and she had it fitted last week, she doesn't know how long its been live though but she is the first one in her area connected to it.

13. Neoto

Associate

I can get BT Infinity where I am since June last year but I've held off so far. Really want to know what Be are going to charge for FTTC before making a final choice, but it's so tempting knowing that I could get 40+mbit speeds compared to the 3.5mbit ADSL I currently have.

Only thing that scares me is the pricing of other ISP's that currently offer FTTC services compared to BT. 35+ quid a month and you have to buy your own equipment...

14. Mana

Mobster

same, 31st march is what they have on their website for my exchange. I also saw a lot of digging up near my cabinet so hopefully fingers crossed.

15. Mana

Mobster

how did she know it was available if the bt infinity website still says 31st March.

16. KIA

Man of Honour

BT Wholesale checker.

17. Mana

Mobster

hmmm fluff, i just googled BT Wholesale checker, and entered my phone number:

"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 32Mbps and upstream line speed of 6.8Mbps.

The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.

Thank you for your interest."

This means its ready?

18. KIA

Man of Honour

;)

19. Mana

Mobster

CMON time travel machine work!

20. mufcmark

Hitman

It says I am getting 15mb out of a possible 35mb

The upload is fine though