1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by michellez, Feb 8, 2011.

1. KIA

Man of Honour

IP profile, not throughput.

What is your router?

2. Nazca

Wise Guy

So, I'm finally getting Infinity unlimited in a couple of weeks. I got a letter from BT with all the details this morning. What was interesting is that I'm signing onto a 12 month contract, not an 18 month one as suggested on the Infinity site.

Is this a typo or for real?

3. kablooey

Hitman

What did you do to get a letter? I've registered online but not heard anything yet...

The BT infinity availability checker has changed from 31 December 2010, 31 March 2011, 31 June and is now saying 16 March 2011! I hope that finally, finally I'm about to get a decent connection. They estimate 30.8 Mbps down and 6.8 up, that would be awesome, for comparison this is what I've had to put up with for the last 6 years...

[​IMG]

Fingers crossed!

4. Nazca

Wise Guy

Just make an order on the web, and register. That's all I guess.

5. ringo747

Sgarrista

Does anyone know if you can get any decent cashback on Infinity deals with the likes of topcashback? I see BT broadband on there but not sure if Infinity is included.

6. BluBallz

Gangster

Mine has also changed now from the 31st to the 16th of this month :)

7. bramski

Gangster

My exchange is Infinity enabled but does my current speed from that exchange bear any significance on what my Infinity speeds will be like? ie, slow adsl means poor infinity?

8. EVH

Don

It goes from distance to the local green cabinet, not the exchange.

(No)

9. Jabbs

Sgarrista

You will get a much faster speed my sister has had it fitted a few weeks ago, before she struggled to get 1 meg on bt most of the time it was half that, she is on infinity now at 32 meg she is very happy.

Have a look on the bt infinity site and see what speed it says you should get, that's what it gives for me sister but her download is higher but upload is slow as she is on one of the lower packages.
    Fibre optic broadband
    You can get fibre optic broadband with speeds of up to 40Mb now.
    28.7Mb download
    6.8Mb upload

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  10. mrmoose

Wise Guy

£50 with quidco and topcashback for internet only. infinity is included in the bt broadband.

11. timmy85

Hitman

12. ringo747

Sgarrista

Thanks - will check it out. I was thinking of ringing them up and seeing what best price they will do but there probably isn't any movement.

13. C.R.A.Z.Y

Mobster

I'm with BT Infinity, speed is great:
    40MB/s Down & 8MB/s Up

However the 300Gb FUP sucks :-(

And the BTFon is also really handy when your out and about with your smartphone or lappy :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  14. muon

Capodecina

Yeh I can also confirm that Infinity is included in TCB.

15. Guitarman0

Wise Guy

Same. God I can't wait to get off 1.5mbps ;)

16. Yerman

Gangster

The 300GB FUP is being removed from April. BT will still throttle P2P at peak times, but there will be no defined usage limit, so you won't have your speed reduced if you go over 300GB.

17. Balb0wa

Mobster

Get mine fitted on thursday, took some doing for Bt to put an order in below 15mb, checker says il get 7mb., im quite far from the cab, but im getting 1st month free and can get out anytime.

Just hope i get a bit more than 7mb, maybe 15, all depends how good my copper is! still better than the 2mb i get now.

Pic below just shows you how it tails off compared to other phone numbers on our road

[​IMG]

18. Yerman

Gangster

I'd have thought you would get a lot more than 7meg, you should be able to get 20meg at about 1.5km line length on VDSL2, so I'd guess around 20-25meg for you if the copper is good.

I wish they'd start enabling more cabinets in Chesterfield, seems very random the way they've done it. Mine went in back in November and is still showing March 31st.

19. Balb0wa

Mobster

well ive got my home hub 3, not long now, the checkers meant to under estimate it, i hope so !

My cabinet was december 31st, then it got put back to 31st march, then changed to live on feb 17th ish.

Emailed the ceo of bt to get it fitted on 2nd of march, things went very quickly and instal date of 10th :D

20. KIA

Man of Honour

Gotta love traffic shaping. Nice marketing stunt, BT. :rolleyes: