Laser eye treatment - who's done it?

Associate
Good luck, you wont regret it! Funnily enough, this thread made me realise its been that long since I had my eyes done, Ive never been for an eye test since, so im off for my first eye test is 7 years today.

That's nothing. I'm 30 and have only ever had mine tested once when I was 8. I've had a couple of vision tests as part of the basic medical which I passed easily so I'm not bothered about getting them tested.

Caporegime
OP
Had my consult and tests today :)

In short, yes I'm suitable :)

I wanted LASIK with Wavefront and they said that's suitable for me \o/ - Total cost will be £2100.

Getting a deposit to them at the end of the week then booking it, they have a slot available on June 7th or the 15th, I'm hoping to nab one of those :)

Caporegime
Had my consult and tests today :)

In short, yes I'm suitable :)

I wanted LASIK with Wavefront and they said that's suitable for me \o/ - Total cost will be £2100.

Getting a deposit to them at the end of the week then booking it, they have a slot available on June 7th or the 15th, I'm hoping to nab one of those :)

With who? Optical Express?

If so, check the thread on MoneySavingExpert about money off laser eye surgery. There are loads of people with discount vouchers for 'sale', as once you've had the treatment, OE send you loads of 'recommend a friend' cards every six months or so.

Otherwise I can probably sort you out if I have any lying around (I can do the whole £300, not fussed about rebate). Not sure if you need to tell them at the time of booking, worth investigating anyway.

It can get you up to £300 extra off with the loyalty scheme.

Caporegime
OP
With who? Optical Express?

If so, check the thread on MoneySavingExpert about money off laser eye surgery. There are loads of people with discount vouchers for 'sale', as once you've had the treatment, OE send you loads of 'recommend a friend' cards every six months or so.

Otherwise I can probably sort you out if I have any lying around (I can do the whole £300, not fussed about rebate). Not sure if you need to tell them at the time of booking, worth investigating anyway.

It can get you up to £300 extra off with the loyalty scheme.

:eek:

I'll take a look now, well when I ring up to pay the deposit I can ask about the money off bit :) - Cheers pal.

And yeh sorry with Optical Express.

Caporegime
OP
IIRC all you need to do, is give them the voucher reference number and the name of the referrer. I'd get this before ringing as they'll only ask for it.

Ok, do you have a link to the thread showing them? My epically crap search skills have failed me once again. :)

EDIT: NVM Found it :)

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Hey Robbie,

I've had a look, most people wanting to go halfs, if you can find one and are willing to send me then I'd really appreciate it and will buy you a beer at the next meet we both attend :)

Caporegime
Ok, do you have a link to the thread showing them? My epically crap search skills have failed me once again. :)

Here's a link anyway, just in case you found a different one: http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=43337374

The vouchers look like this, if it helps:

Qqykc.jpg

Note it says vouchers must be presented at time of consultation...however I'm sure I didn't do that with my treatment. Mine have unfortunately expired (today by coincidence). If more come I'll let you know, otherwise you can get £200 off on that thread.

Caporegime
OP
lol typical :p

And cheers fella, I'll ask when I ring up to pay the deposit :)

EDIT: Right, registered and posted :)

Roll on Friday for a confirmed booking :D

Last edited:
Associate
Well I had it done a few hours ago....and I'm posting from my phone! Surgery was actually a doddle - no pain, mild discomfort from the drops and that's all. It's been pain free and okay so far, I can already read everything from a distance (from a -4.25 perscription). Very happy and all went to plan. Back tomorrow for a check up, I already feel liberated and it only gets better from here on in :D

Having to wear sunglassses everywhere and use the four types of drops every few hours for a week is well worth it I'm sure. Update tomorrow

Hey mate, how are your eyes doing. Saw you posted in the Brink thread, so I assume they are alright unless you are playing by sound alone :D

Caporegime
OP
I also booked the 10th of work just to make sure my eyes get the Thursday, Friday and the weekend to rest, lucky as I didn't know I had to go back 24hrs afterwards to see how I'm getting on! lol

Soldato
Hey mate, how are your eyes doing. Saw you posted in the Brink thread, so I assume they are alright unless you are playing by sound alone :D

I've had a few emails and people asking how I am getting along, so here is my update.

So I spent 7/8 years wearing contacts and whilst they were great, they also restricted me from certain activities like swimming and my eyes really got dry wearing them for great lengths of time, even after trying different types. I spent 3 years researching laser eye surgery and the different places/methods available.

I opted for Focus clinic in Wimpoole street London and the Z-Lasik procedure after they invested heavily in the latest equipment and have seen great results with the technology/treatments. Their website is full of info, useful videos and he also has a blog.

http://www.focusclinics.com/

Essentially, the main reason why people have such great results from Focus is down to how the flap created and the procedure being "blade free". It helps having a superb surgeon and also staff that are very thorough.

Anyway, I'll leave you to read up and make your own mind up on who to use and for what reasons….onto the procedure:

I had the procedure just over a week and a half ago. I went out for my 23rd birthday at the weekend in Southampton and I just feel so very liberated with my new sight. My procedure went as follows:
>Leave contacts out for a week prior to operation.
>Take glasses off and get a a briefing on drops. There are 4 types drops to use on the day of surgery, going down to 3 the following day and then down to 1 a week later.
>My eyes were wiped clean and you put on some blue hairnets and feet nets
>Lie down, eye lashes taped back, they double check your details to confirm records (important!)
>They put anthetic drops into the eyes and a test to see whether you can feel anything. At this stage, you might feel pressure as the drops are fairly quick (5-10 seconds before you become numb).
>Eye clamp (sounds worse than it is) goes on one eye, the other is shielded. You stare at bright lights - looks like a UFO with a green dot in the middle with red infra-red coming down like a laser sight. You can feel him put the eye clamp in, but after a few seconds, it's actually good as it will let you blink - even though you aren't actually blinking, it feels normal.
>A machine comes down and puts pressure on your eye socket, it's just suction - feels like someone leaning gently on your socket. It all goes black and you count 20 bleeps - goes very quickly. This is the flap being created.
>Everything goes blurry and you stare at the dot for a few seconds as they use the laser, which is very quick and you hear a slight humming.
>It then looks like he is painting your eye with a brush for a few seconds, then lots of fluids to wash the eye out and some more drops.
>All done, time to move to your other eye.

Whole procedure was about 5-6 minutes, most of which was prep.

Few things that people don't mention or know:
>Absolutely pain free - no pain or discomfort at all. I even had a stray eye lash removed and didn't notice.
>I read of complaints of grittyness, but actually had no discomfort or sensations of dryness.
>The smell of "bacon" lasts about 5 seconds and you are too distracted to notice. It's the laser reacting with the gases, not your eye burning.
>The laser is cold, fast and very precise. It cannot go deeper than it needs to and tracks your retina if you look away from the dot. No damage can be done with the laser as it's weak, but super fast.
>You'll need somebody to help you get home. After that, you'll be 100% fine to see and drive by the next day once give the all clear. By the time I got home, I could already read distance - albeit blurry.
>You might get "second eye anxiety", which is where you'll be having one eye done.....and the other panics and streams tears - as your brain uses them as a pair.
>Blurry vision comes and goes within the first week - I paniced up until my week after appointment, but then it does clear up. Even with perfect vision in one eye and blurry in the right, they settle and swap over until they heal.
>Starburst effect - I have driven at night and it's very hard to see lights at night for the first few weeks, so take it easy as they look like giant stars. It's starting to get better already though.

I am over the moon with the whole procedure, aftercare and support that Focus have given me. Most of all, my eyesight is amazing…. I can read the bottom line on the charts and also at reading distance I can read small point text. I am still getting used to my eyes focusing for a split second before I can concentrate on something. I'm looking forward to my holiday and swimming in 2 weeks time.

Please do ask questions, more than happy to answer based on my experience. £2500 well spent.

P.s. let me know if you book an appointment with them?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Associate
Cheers mate, very kind of you to take the time to share your experience. I will definitely have to get this done, and I am also leaning towards focusclinic based on your recommendation. I was looking at londonvisionclinic but it's hard to decide which is better since they seem to have different equipement.

Soldato
Cheers mate, very kind of you to take the time to share your experience. I will definitely have to get this done, and I am also leaning towards focusclinic based on your recommendation. I was looking at londonvisionclinic but it's hard to decide which is better since they seem to have different equipement.

£25 for an appointment which will clear up 90% of what you need to know and what will happen. You get the money back when you proceed if it's a concern!

They won't pressure you into booking the surgery, so maybe that is a starting point?

Do come back and let me know how you get along!

Back
Top Bottom