** Summer Transfer Window 2011/12 Season Rumours/Signings **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Oddly enough, I turned down a job change which would have given me more money, I also took a job which was less money than the job I was already in. So maybe not quite no-one :)

Without presuming to second guess your circumstances i would be surprised if you took a 50% pay cut.

Footballers have a finite career, this Liverpool player is late 20s, he maybe has one more move left. It is wrong IMO for people to EXPECT him to walk away from the contract Liverpool gave him just because they no longer have a use for him. Yes, he MAY decide to go to get first team football and yes, he MAY come to an arrangement to tear up his contract but the idea the he should do it as a matter of course or that he is some sort of mercenary is completely wrong.

If the circumstances were the other way around and he had been a roaring success and wanted to tear up his contract and move on because Liverpool missed out on the CL and another club wanted to offer him more cash Liverpool fans would be quick enough to suggest he should honour his contract.

Man of Honour
Well was only months ago he said he wanted to play football reg if he has the chance to do that else were but wont due to money i def want him gone he shouldn't moan about money nor should any football player not like their under paid all earn stupid amounts.

Personally I love it when footballers stick to their guns, Winston Bogarde is my hero. If clubs are foolish enough to sign them up on long term deals with big wages, good luck to them. He knows nobody else will pay him £3m/year so better off staying put unless Liverpool make up the difference.

edit: sounds like it is effectively £120k/week perhaps so totally understandable that he wants to get his signing on fee paid in full at the very least.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Exactly we chastise them too often when we hear about the money on offer when at the end of the day, they're employees, albeit stupid ones. It's the top of a profession where most people of any earn that. Doctors and lawyers probably do for example.

Man of Honour
Without presuming to second guess your circumstances i would be surprised if you took a 50% pay cut.

Footballers have a finite career, this Liverpool player is late 20s, he maybe has one more move left. It is wrong IMO for people to EXPECT him to walk away from the contract Liverpool gave him just because they no longer have a use for him. Yes, he MAY decide to go to get first team football and yes, he MAY come to an arrangement to tear up his contract but the idea the he should do it as a matter of course or that he is some sort of mercenary is completely wrong.

If the circumstances were the other way around and he had been a roaring success and wanted to tear up his contract and move on because Liverpool missed out on the CL and another club wanted to offer him more cash Liverpool fans would be quick enough to suggest he should honour his contract.

Oh there werent any circumstances as such, I just thought I would enjoy the offered job more and didnt care that it was a pay cut. Enjoyment in what I do is vastly more important to me than how much I am paid to do it. It wasnt a 50% pay cut (more like a 25% pay cut), but then we dont know that Jovanovics move would be a 50% pay cut either.

If he wants to stay and see out his contract on his current wage, I am ok with that, just so long as he shuts the hell up and doesnt whine if he is never picked. If he is staying for the money, then he should sit there quietly and hush because he is getting what he wants. I dont like the idea of him saying that he should get a £2.5m lumpsum in order to move as I think that would set one devil of a precedence, imagine if every player then started demanding that their teams pay them several million or they wont move. Imagine if you will, that Utd decide they want to sell Carrick but he says no I dont want to go unless you pay me £7m to go.

Its up to him in the end, does he want to play football, or does he want to sit idly by week in and week out for the next few years, never playing and just picking up the money. Fine if he wants to do that, but then I dont want to see him whining about it.

Caporegime
Oddly enough, I turned down a job change which would have given me more money, I also took a job which was less money than the job I was already in. So maybe not quite no-one :)

i would like to know the figures involved.

say i was earning £40K a year doing a average job and someone offered me £40.1K a year to do a job i would hate then someone else offered me £39.9K a year to do a job i love, i would take the £39.9K job.

its all relative though.

if i was earning £60K a week to turn up to football training and then sit on a bench and watch liverpool play football every week and someone offered me £30K a week to turn up to training and play football every week for standard liege, i would tell them where to go.

if he is passionate about playing football he can always join a local pub team to get his fix ;), means he is £30K a week better off and can still play the game he loves.

Caporegime

+1

Soldato
SWP has been reported to have been at Everton's training ground earlier on today. I hope not, if we sign him I will cry! :(
Wouldn't surprise me seeing as Gervinho is apparently joining reducing SWPs position in the team further.

I think if he plays every week he could become a good player once again.

Caporegime
It's all good now, some one just made it up, no one at Finch Farm today. Moyes is still on holiday as well so I hope the board wouldn't go speaking to players without him present any way.

Caporegime
It's all good now, some one just made it up, no one at Finch Farm today. Moyes is still on holiday as well so I hope the board wouldn't go speaking to players without him present any way.

:p

I wonder if the Gervinho to Man City is made up as well. Hope so, even though I know nothing about him the thought of City just waiting to see who we bid for and then offering ridiculous wages to them is just... annoying. -_-

Caporegime
There we some academy lads there, so they must have mistaken one of them for him.

Haha :D if I was him I would go to Arsenal over City. The simple fact that you could be deadwood within less than a year at City, that should be enough to put him off going there. Though I would love to see him and Bibotelli getting into a fight on the pitch. :D

Caporegime
There we some academy lads there, so they must have mistaken one of them for him.

Haha :D if I was him I would go to Arsenal over City. The simple fact that you could be deadwood within less than a year at City, that should be enough to put him off going there. Though I would love to see him and Bibotelli getting into a fight on the pitch. :D

I never watched the bib video until yesterday, genuine lols at him trying to fit his head through the arm. :D :D

It's a shame Everton don't have any money, Moyes has done incredible to keep them where they are and fairly consistently too.

Caporegime
Aye never mind, can only hope that some one outs the chairman some time soon and has more than a few quid and some penny chews!

In transfer related news, Paul Smith from the Sunday Mirror has told Talksport that Demba Ba has agreed to join Newcastle and it'll be happening next week.

Soldato
:p

I wonder if the Gervinho to Man City is made up as well. Hope so, even though I know nothing about him the thought of City just waiting to see who we bid for and then offering ridiculous wages to them is just... annoying. -_-

If he goes to City hes not the player you want anyway. City is just a graveyard for strikers, if you dont hit the ground running a la Tevez you might as well be in a revolving door

Soldato
If he goes to City hes not the player you want anyway. City is just a graveyard for strikers, if you dont hit the ground running a la Tevez you might as well be in a revolving door

Why? because he chose to go for the bigger wages?
You also have to remember that we had a really strong finish to the league, won an FA Cup and in the Champions League so it is not only money that would entice him to come to City.
If we had finished 5th/6th etc then i would agree but now we have broke the top 4 and have won something then the money is not as relevant to our transfers because players can now see that we actually have a real chance of becoming really successful domestically and in Europe which wasn't the case when we started in 2008/9 when all the players we signed pretty much joined for money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom