Differences in Pay

Permabanned
OP
A lot of IT roles are still overvalued in therms of salary if you ask me. A hangover from the days when you had to pay to get the limited talent that was out there. Now everybody thinks they can do "systems admin" and get 35k or more. There are some jobs in IT that do demand a high salary but a lot don't and are filled by people like the OP that moan that because they work in IT they should be on megabucks. Well that isn't the case. You are easily replaceable and somebody will probably do it for less money.

The second problem is IT is only really a business expense. Like another poster said its like the photocopier or the coffee machine. IT at our place costs a small fortune each year (millions) and provides no revenue.

I work in IT. My salary isn't half bad but I know that I can be replaced by somebody who will do the Jon cheaper and that nobody from top. Tass sees IT as anything other than an expense they can't avoid.

Yea i am aware that IT is seen as an expense, but the point of this thread was to kind of try and point out that IT has become more than an expense and thus is under valued and under paid.

Permabanned
OP
Your attitude towards employment has consistently shown itself to be absolutely dire at best. You are virtually unemployable!

I remember you posting a thread about your consistent lateness and being shocked they were taking you to task about it. You should consider yourself lucky to have a job rather than whinge about how "unfair" your wage is.

I do not consider myself lucky to have a job and won't just bend over take **** like you do. The thread about lateness was a bit of a **** take after a few pages. But yea if you want to try and turn this discussion in to a personal discussion about my work ethic and abilities then fill your boots.

Associate
If it bothers you that much you could go start your own company, build it up, and then overpay your IT guys, reduce rather than maximise profits (as your competition will be doing) and then let us know how that goes for you ;)

You could be the one to change it all

Associate
I do not consider myself lucky to have a job and won't just bend over take **** like you do. The thread about lateness was a bit of a **** take after a few pages. But yea if you want to try and turn this discussion in to a personal discussion about my work ethic and abilities then fill your boots.

Your attitude speaks wonders about your pay bracket. You're happier to moan about things than work to improve them.

I'm not from Eton or any other private school, but I'm going to end up in the higher tiers of a company later on in my career and be well paid. How do I know? Because I'm going to work for it.

Soldato
Yea i am aware that IT is seen as an expense, but the point of this thread was to kind of try and point out that IT has become more than an expense and thus is under valued and under paid.

At what I imagine is your level then you're just an expense like a cleaner, or lighting, or tax. You need to be there for the profit generating work to be done, but you don't directly influence it, to any tangible degree. I'm not trying to insult you or say that you're bad at your job. From the sounds of things you do care, so you will at least have the motivation to do a good job, and I would imagine you can be very effective.

I appreciate some level of performance related pay is good for virtually every job, however you're deluded if you expect to get the same kind of remuneration that others in different roles get.

Associate
Finding this sooo funny to be honest, op has had it explained to him countless times that pay is low due to the last 10 years "IT" has been the shining route to high pay and as such is now oversatuated with thousands upon thousands of potentials.

As its been said, if there are hundreds of people that are quite happy to be paid 17k to reboot a few computers, then thats what you get paid!

Im a chef in a team of 4, I dont get paid a lot, but I earn the company I work for a lot, when im getting paid £65 a day and earning my company over £3000 in terms of sales do I complain? no, because I enjoy the job.

Step back, remember why you got into the job your in, and if it was "to get rich" then I suggest you rethink your future, normal workers dont get rich, they get by.

Soldato
Erm, Stev. Don't complain, but discuss with your line manager your goals and ambitions.

You need to say that you want to progress and you feel you need to earn more to progress toward your goals in life. You greatly enjoy your job and you hope that the sales you do for the company are noticed and appreciated, but you need to consider your options in the longer term. If you do it right then the company should try to enhance your package - that's assuming of course that you are indeed talent and it's not something that anyone off the streets could start doing.

Permabanned
OP
I do work hard to improve my pay bracket and I have done so. How many times I have had to say that is not about me but about IT in general.

I think I do a lot more than reboot a few computers. My point seems lost here because all of you fail to see a bigger context and try to make it personal. I give up.

edit: the reason I don't feel lucky to have my job is because I have worked hard to get where i am and did not get here because i know people or went to a special school.

Soldato
I do work hard to improve my pay bracket and I have done so. How many times I have had to say that is not about me but about IT in general.

I think I do a lot more than reboot a few computers. My point seems lost here because all of you fail to see a bigger context and try to make it personal. I give up.

I'm about to give up with you too Groen.

Let's try looking at it one more time in a different way.

I have a lump of gold. Pure solid gold. A nice big lump. It's worth a fortune.

You come along saying that you have a lump of steel. It's a nice big lump. It doesn't scratch like my gold does. It's tougher. But it's not worth very much at all.

You then say that's unfair...

Associate
Erm, Stev. Don't complain, but discuss with your line manager your goals and ambitions.

You need to say that you want to progress and you feel you need to earn more to progress toward your goals in life. You greatly enjoy your job and you hope that the sales you do for the company are noticed and appreciated, but you need to consider your options in the longer term. If you do it right then the company should try to enhance your package - that's assuming of course that you are indeed talent and it's not something that anyone off the streets could start doing.

Im perfectly happy with my pay, which is my point, Im not going to set the world on fire with my cuisine, and most IT workers arnt going to suddenly create a multi billion company from keeping a workstation running.

Soldato
Im perfectly happy with my pay, which is my point, Im not going to set the world on fire with my cuisine, and most IT workers arnt going to suddenly create a multi billion company from keeping a workstation running.

Well, fair enough... can't see why it'd hurt to go chasing more! It might come in handy later.

But being happy in your work is very important indeed!

Associate
Well, fair enough... can't see why it'd hurt to go chasing more! It might come in handy later.

But being happy in your work is very important indeed!

Its not a job for the money, its a job for the fun :p

dont get me wrong, Im not going to say no to a payrise or two, but as long as I can live comfortably (which I can) i'd rather enjoy my job!

Associate

edit: the reason I don't feel lucky to have my job is because I have worked hard to get where i am and did not get here because i know people or went to a special school.

You need to remember that IT in general is part of business, and you need to start thinking in terms of business.

Why would they pay you above the odds just because you feel hard done by? Their job is to run a business and generate the maximum profit they can. They aren't going to accomplish that by throwing money around needlessly.

Is that non personal enough for you to understand? The bigger picture and overall context is that IT is part of business, and business is there to make as much money as they can.

EDIT: And like you I have worked hard to get to where I am, and not through people I know etc, it is off my own back. However, many people, exactly the same as us have been laid off through no fault of their own and are now out of work. I do feel lucky to have a job in the current economic climate but that doesn't take anything away from how I got to where I am or how hard I have worked...

Last edited:
Soldato
Perhaps that is more a reflection of how hard you work?

Oh that old chestnut. :rolleyes:

If hard work were a measure of financial success, then factory workers and manual labourers working six hours without sitting down and getting a half hour break in a twelve hour shift would be stinking rich.

Coppers, by this measure, wouldn't have a pot to piddle in.

groen mate, your on the wrong forum to moan about pay, I learnt this a long time ago, you just get vilified, for most people on here life is very black and white, you don't like your job?, just change it, no jobs in your area?, just move, no education?, just pop along to your local uni and enrol, life is that simple, fail to follow these rules then your probably just a lazy scummer.

Last edited:
Soldato
lolgroen.

I think its the universe retaliating at you for believing all these insane conspiracy theories, if you spent half as much time researching how the moon landings were faked and such like and channelled it into becoming a contractor you would be sitting in a much healthier position.

Back
Top Bottom