Would this be a stupid first bike?

Soldato
Definitely not mate. You won't have any trouble on most bikes at that height.

You're the same height as me and I manage fine on super sports bikes let alone a sports tourer.

Soldato
OP
Definitely not mate. You won't have any trouble on most bikes at that height.

You're the same height as me and I manage fine on super sports bikes let alone a sports tourer.

Great news!

Hows that eBay bike looking arctine? The thing is, I've actually won it! I put in a bid a few days ago as a spur of the moment crazy idea! How bad a deal is it or how good is it?

If I wait until winter Xmas time, will I get a bike cheaper?

Soldato
It looks good in the photos. Low mileage. I can't tell what he's talking about regarding the dodgy paintwork.

I'd try and haggle that £99 delivery for free depending on how far away it is from you as £2000 is quite steep.

As for waiting until winter to buy, it is true that this is generally considered the best time to look for a bike but that doesn't mean you can't still get a good one at a decent price during summer if you look hard enough.

It's up to you what you do pal, I'd be very surprised if you ran into any problems from any Japanese bike with less than 30,000 miles on the clock let alone 10,000.

Soldato
OP
It looks good in the photos. Low mileage. I can't tell what he's talking about regarding the dodgy paintwork.

I'd try and haggle that £99 delivery for free depending on how far away it is from you as £2000 is quite steep.

As for waiting until winter to buy, it is true that this is generally considered the best time to look for a bike but that doesn't mean you can't still get a good one at a decent price during summer if you look hard enough.

It's up to you what you do pal, I'd be very surprised if you ran into any problems from any Japanese bike with less than 30,000 miles on the clock let alone 10,000.

I'm not convinced on parting with £2k if I can hang off and find one for £400 less, more local to me etc.

It's more the price I'm concerned of. Is it overpriced at £2k? I'm not sure.

Thanks btw for your advice, it's appreciated.

Caporegime
10k miles isnt high,ive put 60k miles on a zx6,in all that time ive only had the fuel pump and steering head bearings fail,there are some abused bikes out there though but you can usually tell by the condition of the bodywork ect,i thought you were gonna buy that bike?

Soldato
Well, that other blue one you found on gumtree doesn't have dodgy paintwork, hasn't been dropped, has done less miles, has a nice aftermarket exhaust and is £270 cheaper.

I'd say £2000 for the bike on eBay is a bit of a rip off, yeah.

I realise the issue for the one on gumtree is location but if you can find a cost effective way of picking it up that'd be ideal. If not I'd keep having a look round.

Soldato
OP
Well, that other blue one you found on gumtree doesn't have dodgy paintwork, hasn't been dropped, has done less miles, has a nice aftermarket exhaust and is £270 cheaper.

I'd say £2000 for the bike on eBay is a bit of a rip off, yeah.

I realise the issue for the one on gumtree is location but if you can find a cost effective way of picking it up that'd be ideal. If not I'd keep having a look round.

Right o, I'll pass on it. The Irish one is good I know. He said he can't wait a week on me getting the money to him (I offered a deposit) he generally sounds like a bit of a ****. So that's out the equation now.

How much emphasis should I be putting on service history? The eBay job was going to be serviced before sale.

Soldato
Personally, I don't know anyone who doesn't service their motorcycle adequately and that's simply because neglecting a bike can kill you. If the bike looks OK, starts, runs, rides and stops OK and doesn't bounce like a pogo stick then usually it's been looked after so proof of service history isn't necessarily crucial.

Make sure tyres and brake pads have plenty of meat left on them, the chain isn't orange and stretched, the sprocket doesn't have teeth that are worn down to a nub and neither the forks or rear shock are leaking oil.

Engine oil and spark plugs I'd change myself anyway as soon as I could after buying the bike just to be sure. I'd also check the wheel bearings before putting it on the road.

The thing about Japanese bikes as opposed to cars is if you maintain everything I've mentioned in this post then they'll pretty much go for as long as the rider. With the exception of them being thrashed around the road like a track bike.

This is why I wouldn't get too hung up on finding one with such a low mileage and 10,000 miles is miniscule.

Soldato
OP
Personally, I don't know anyone who doesn't service their motorcycle adequately and that's simply because neglecting a bike can kill you. If the bike looks OK, starts, runs, rides and stops OK and doesn't bounce like a pogo stick then usually it's been looked after so proof of service history isn't necessarily crucial.

Make sure tyres and brake pads have plenty of meat left on them, the chain isn't orange and stretched, the sprocket doesn't have teeth that are worn down to a nub and neither the forks or rear shock are leaking oil.

Engine oil and spark plugs I'd change myself anyway as soon as I could after buying the bike just to be sure. I'd also check the wheel bearings before putting it on the road.

The thing about Japanese bikes as opposed to cars is if you maintain everything I've mentioned in this post then they'll pretty much go for as long as the rider. With the exception of them being thrashed around the road like a track bike.

This is why I wouldn't get too hung up on finding one with such a low mileage and 10,000 miles is miniscule.

Great advice, I'll probably get the hang of it all when I get my own and start tinkering.

So if you were me, 22, first bike. How much would you spend on either a CBR600F or a Thundercat?

Cheers again.

Soldato
124403829.jpg

108'c ? Lol

Soldato
Nah I doubt that's the same issue.

My guess is it actually reads 10.8 C but I can't tell from the picture.

If the temperature is ACTUALLY 108 C then he has a massive problem.

Back
Top Bottom