• I will buy neither console

Votes: 88 8.5%
  • Undecided

Votes: 120 11.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
You can turn it off, but the features that it enables in games, or potentially at least (and with everyone owning one, this is a window that is completely open for developers to have fun with) require there to be one in every box so that 100% of the audience have one. It was pointless for publishers having developers work on features because the market for it was so small. You could make a Kinect feature for a potential 20% (at a guess), or Xbox 360 for 100%. Now 100% of people on Xbox One have both.
Surely 20% of the X360 market is still worth something? What thats like 14million people (supposedly Kinects sold more than that but lets run with your figure) who each spent $100 dollars on a Kinect. So these 14million people have also demonstrated a higher level of consumption aswell as owning the required devices.

So little point in targetting these people that seem to be a small audience and dont seem to like spending money on console stuff? Seems a surprising choice to me...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Caporegime
You can laugh all you want, my point still stands. If you don't have a decent argument I suggest you keep your laughter to yourself.

Yes, I'm sorry. Kinect and a blu ray drive have the complete same functionality and are both essential to a large number of people to be able to use their console to play video games.

Man of Honour
OP
Yes, I'm sorry. Kinect and a blu ray drive have the complete same functionality and are both essential to a large number of people to be able to use their console to play video games.
I didn't say they had the same functionality at all, did I? I said they are both hardware features of the console which you can choose to use, or not. I'm not wrong.

Associate
I will buy an xbox1 when (if) they release a kinect less version. I don't want or need that crap, sitting there like a **** waving my arms about and shouting commands at a box. The inclusion of the kunect obviously adds a lot to the price of the box and I'm not prepared to pay for something I won't be using.
Also why couldn't they just keep the original DRM stuff for digital downloads and give everyone what they want with physical media.? Best of both worlds

Caporegime
I didn't say they had the same functionality at all, did I? I said they are both hardware features of the console which you can choose to use, or not. I'm not wrong.

Attaching a ***** would also be a feature, great idea to force it on consumers ramming the price up with already inferior hardware.

Caporegime
Jesus get over it. It comes with the console. Don't like it? Don't bloody well buy it then.

I personally don't mind it, nor did I mind the DRM and I would be buying regardless eventually, but it affects a lot of other people and is really completely pointless to force it upon the consumer driving up the price, also certain people can only see positives with either console and not the negatives.

E.g. glaucus on the drm only being a good thing

Caporegime
Attaching a ***** would also be a feature, great idea to force it on consumers ramming the price up with already inferior hardware.
Think you made your point, both are features integral to the system and MSs vision, its not like one can be switched off by the user while the other cant...

Man of Honour
OP
It could turn out to be a mistake, I agree on that, but time will tell. For all we know, some smart developer out there could come up with some killer gameplay features that rely on Kinect, that they choose to leave out of their PS4 game because they know only a small percentage has the PS4 Eye.

Let's be clear on this, I'm not saying I fully agree with them on adding Kinect to the console, but I do understand why they're doing it, and why it makes the console more expensive. MS obviously have a vision for the future, a vision that includes Kinect. It therefore makes perfect sense for them to make sure everyone has one.

Associate
I'm guessing this is a bad time to say I'm sticking with PS4 because I don't want the Kinect.

In all honesty I'm still confused about whether or not Kinect can/cannot be turned off. Do they mean you can go into the options and turn it 'off' and still play games, use the dashboard and video features etc just fine. Or do they mean that you can turn it off but half the consoles features and games stop working ? If it all works ok with it turned off then why the need to have it plugged in, surely it wouldn't be much of a stretch at that point to just allow the console to function without Kinect, and maybe offer a cheaper SKU without it bundled in.

Not a big deal for me overall though, I'm happy just going PS4 if they want to stay the course with Kinect.

Man of Honour
OP
In all honesty I'm still confused about whether or not Kinect can/cannot be turned off. Do they mean you can go into the options and turn it 'off' and still play games, use the dashboard and video features etc just fine. Or do they mean that you can turn it off but half the consoles features and games stop working ? If it all works ok with it turned off then why the need to have it plugged in, surely it wouldn't be much of a stretch at that point to just allow the console to function without Kinect, and maybe offer a cheaper SKU without it bundled in.

Again, MS see the Kinect as an integral part of their future vision, so they want to make sure everyone has one. Why offer an SKU without Kinect if this is the road they're going down?

Caporegime
Again, MS see the Kinect as an integral part of their future vision, so they want to make sure everyone has one. Why offer an SKU without Kinect if this is the road they're going down?

We should have a poll and see how many people use their kinect and would actually buy the bundle with it if they came separate, don't know one of my friends who ever uses theirs, I only got mine due to the star wars bundle :p

Caporegime
Then why the concession to be able to switch it off? If, for example, Germany had such an issue, then just be as transparent as Blackberry has been forced to be in certain countries. I dont particularly agree with that, but if you really believe that its that essential to where MS need XO to go, then being able to turn it off wouldnt have been an option or would have been the last resort.

Honestly just like the whole DRM issue, if it had been that essential/integral then MS wouldnt have caved in so quickly. I see Kinect being one and the same thing...

Soldato
We should have a poll and see how many people use their kinect and would actually buy the bundle with it if they came separate, don't know one of my friends who ever uses theirs, I only got mine due to the star wars bundle :p

I would happily buy an Xbox One without Kinect but I understand and appreciate what Microsoft are doing by having one SKU.

Man of Honour
OP
This is why I don't fully agree with it, as I don't think it's been used well enough as it stands. However, looking forward (not backwards :p), with every Xbox One owner having a Kinect, that is vastly superior to the original, is it beyond reason to think that there could be some really good innovations using it? I don't think it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom