Motorsport Off Topic Thread

Caporegime
They did http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111247

Looks like the new sponsor will be announced when the new car is launched in January.

You could be right! :D

So a deal that was agreed back in March, and was firm enough to set a specific announcement date, suddenly isn't so confirmed at the same time they drop the driver rumored to have brought new sponsorship?

Hmm.... This could have legs.

If its true, then I wonder what came first? Was Perez dropped because the Telmex deal fell through, or has the Telmex deal fallen through because Perez was dropped?

Soldato
If its true, then I wonder what came first? Was Perez dropped because the Telmex deal fell through
You could be onto something there. Had McLaren secured Telmex money, it would have been expected that McLaren would keep Perez. No Telmex agreement, no need to keep Perez and McLaren can promote from within.

Soldato
I hope Perez can bounce back from the set back, like Button did when he was written off after a stint at Benetton. I think Perez at least deserved a 2nd year.

Well the benetton deal was suspect from the start to be honest - I mean its not exactly going to be fair with the manager of the team also being the personal manager of the driver in the opposite garage (which was true for both seasons JB was at benetton) - and Flav has never been the most upstanding charachter in the first place.

I seem to recall rumours at the time Flav wanted JB to move into his personal management team but JB turned him down, thats gotta rile somebody like Flav no end. Not helped by JB's attitude at the time admittedly like a kid in a sweetshop lol, but the last person who should be critical is the Playboy of the Pitlane - even if he is the team manager.

Perez is as good as Kovi and look how that turned out lol, no better no worse (from a talent point of view)

Permabanned
Has anyone read this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24922736

It is a shinning example of why people do not like Red Bull. This particular quote from Horner stands out for me.

Horner said: "It is difficult for him to handle. Whilst he's not betrayed it, he's felt it and not understood it."

Webber led after the final pit stops of the Malaysian Grand Prix in March and the drivers were told to hold position to the end of the race, but Vettel passed Webber after a tussle with 13 laps to go. Vettel later apologised for the incident.

Horner, who was interviewed by England's rugby World Cup-winning coach Sir Clive Woodward for a special programme broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live on Wednesday, also said: "The perception comes from what happened at Malaysia and that he stole a win from Mark Webber. He was then portrayed as the bad guy.

The part I have highlighted speaks volumes for me, almost as if they think Vetel did nothing wrong.

Soldato
Has anyone read this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula-one/24922736

It is a shinning example of why people do not like Red Bull. This particular quote from Horner stands out for me.

The part I have highlighted speaks volumes for me, almost as if they think Vetel did nothing wrong.

The part were horner blames Alonso and other drivers for the boooing is just stupid.

Permabanned
Racing driver in winning a race shocker.

Seriously, its like 9 months on, and he's won by like a bazillion points. Do people STILL feel the need to just dig at Vettel every waking moment?

Just move on.

I am not having a dig at Vettel though am I and it was Horner who brought the subject back to life.

Soldato
Anyone know if there is any truth to this part:

"It has been convenient for some of his rivals to treat him like that and they have encouraged it, whether that's Fernando Alonso taking off his cap and throwing it in the crowd as soon as Sebastian talks on the podium to get a reaction.

I'm sorry but either Horner or Vettel just need to have a computer with internet access to find out why he is disliked so much instead of going "we don't understand why".

He is clearly a talented, consistent driver and I respect him for that. But his perceived persona is very irritating.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
I'm sorry but either Horner or Vettel just need to have a computer with internet access to find out why he is disliked so much instead of going "we don't understand why".

Quite. I can't decide whether Horner blaming other drivers indicates supreme arrogance or fretful uncertainty. Maybe he really doesn't understand why his boy wonder isn't being praised to the hills by every single race fan. After all, from their point of view Vettel really is the greatest thing to ever happen to the team - a driver talented enough to win and young enough to win a lot.

Soldato
Seb spoke about it quite a bit last week and it does bother him but, also makes him more determined.

If I were him I imagine I would drift between being quite bothered about it and then at other times, having a "**** 'em all" attitude.

However, in the long run if he wants to sort it out, he needs to face the reality of why he winds people up and adjust his behaviour accordingly.

Of course, there are the types who will just hate him regardless, but they aren't who he should bother with.

From a team perspective I'm not sure whether I would want to expose the star man to essentially a lot of critique about why he irks so many. You want the state of mind of your driver to be as focussed as possible on the task at hand, not wafting through a psychological cluster ****.

Quite. I can't decide whether Horner blaming other drivers indicates supreme arrogance or fretful uncertainty.

I'd also add some subconscious naiveity/ignorance into the mix. It's easy to forget that a majority of the team members such as him are essentially spending most of their time around people/colleagues with a similar mindset . Do they really get exposed to what Joe Public actually thinks without deliberately and consciously exposing themselves to it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Quite. I can't decide whether Horner blaming other drivers indicates supreme arrogance or fretful uncertainty. Maybe he really doesn't understand why his boy wonder isn't being praised to the hills by every single race fan. After all, from their point of view Vettel really is the greatest thing to ever happen to the team - a driver talented enough to win and young enough to win a lot.

The whole team gives of a cocky arrogant vibe, except Mark, and he's going. Hopefully Daniel doesn't end up that way too

Soldato

Interesting to watch how the team management keep changing their mind and raking it back up again in the press. The team apparently think that winning without honour is something to be encouraged.

Vettel needs to admit what he did, apologise to Mark Webber and promise it won't happen again. Line under it, job done. Best to do it now, rather than saving it for the inevitable autobiography in 15 years time.

Back
Top Bottom