• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD R9 290 (Non-X, Pro, etc) Owners Club

Caporegime
Finally got a few minutes to take a picture of my PC - any chance of adding me to the OP? :D

Confused Stu [[ Make: Sapphire || Number of cards: 2 || Cooling: Air ]]

PC (outside of case):
eioj.jpg

PC (case open - please ignore the dust, it gets used not cleaned!):
csk5.jpg

Gratuitous shot of above the desk (3 screens for gaming, one for monitoring/email):
f3fh.jpg

Nice. Looks like you have a perfect setup for reference cooling.

Soldato
Finally got a few minutes to take a picture of my PC - any chance of adding me to the OP? :D

Confused Stu [[ Make: Sapphire || Number of cards: 2 || Cooling: Air ]]

PC (outside of case):
eioj.jpg

PC (case open - please ignore the dust, it gets used not cleaned!):
csk5.jpg

Gratuitous shot of above the desk (3 screens for gaming, one for monitoring/email):
f3fh.jpg

Very similar setup to mine, except I have the TJ11 instead of RV01 (?).
I even have a Silver Arrow, although I have swapped the fans out.

EDIT:

Here's a box shot, a shot of it in the PC will be a little trickier):
28hzuwm.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Added you Stu. :)

That makes 10 already, 290P STRONK! :D :cool:

Thank you Sir. :)

Nice. Looks like you have a perfect setup for reference cooling.

Cheers Matt, am pretty happy with it. I'm sure I'll get bored of the noise under load at some point and start changing coolers again. :D

Very similar setup to mine, except I have the TJ11 instead of RV01 (?).
I even have a Silver Arrow, although I have swapped the fans out.

EDIT:

Here's a box shot, a shot of it in the PC will be a little trickier):
28hzuwm.jpg

Good guess on the case, but it's an RV03. Bought them when OcUK first carried them because I fancied the rotated board concept, didn't have RV01 money, and liked the internal arrangement better than the RV02. Very quickly fell in love with it and now can't imagine using any other case.

Soldato
Thank you Sir. :)

Cheers Matt, am pretty happy with it. I'm sure I'll get bored of the noise under load at some point and start changing coolers again. :D

Good guess on the case, but it's an RV03. Bought them when OcUK first carried them because I fancied the rotated board concept, didn't have RV01 money, and liked the internal arrangement better than the RV02. Very quickly fell in love with it and now can't imagine using any other case.

RV03 was my second guess :)
I have to be honest, I'm not completely convinced by my TJ11.

Permabanned
My 290 should be here tomorrow, ditching my 780 because as much as I love it I'm hitting scarily close to the 3Gb VRAM limit in a few games since I moved to 1440p

Soldato
I've just had a random black screen... I had to press the reset button I couldn't CTRL+ALT+DEL out of it.

I've just sold my GTX 680 on the MM :/

Soldato
I can't bench because my three cards are in my mining rig so the CPU can just about do basic arithmetic, but I have 3 x R9 290 (MSI) all working away making me lots of coins!

Edit: Oh they are Sapphire not MSI - doh! My 3 x R9 280 are MSI :p

lNXfvu1l.jpg

CuSmjY2l.jpg

Permabanned
Red screen is unstable cpu/dram/vccio. Usually lack of cpu/dram voltage or unstable memory speed/timings. Not gpu related.

NEVER had issues before and as soon as I put this card in I get errors? Especially as my system has been stress tested to hell.

And it's deformed not RAM as my RAM's voltage and timings are all stock

Not a good start

Caporegime
NEVER had issues before and as soon as I put this card in I get errors? Especially as my system has been stress tested to hell.

And it's deformed not RAM as my RAM's voltage and timings are all stock

Not a good start

Just telling you what the red screen on w8 means. Good luck.

Guys what do you think?

I am going to sell my 4 day old 780 Ti and buy 4x R9 290s?

loool?

Guys?

Even 2x 290s would cost the same as this 780 Ti!! LOL and perform better lol.

My 2x290's cost the same as 1x780TI and are nearly twice as fast. I've using reference 290 though to save on the ££.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just telling you what the red screen on w8 means. Good luck.

My 2x290's cost the same as 1x780TI and are nearly twice as fast. I've using reference 290 though to save on the ££.

Im planning on using reference, get them in test them make sure I have no problems then I will water block them with basic blocks get them in the rig and mine with them for a month or 2 then order some more.

Back
Top Bottom