• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

DirectX 12

Soldato
I agree, Microsoft has already lost to mantle, game developers have been after something like mantle for years, games up till now have always had to run via DX or openGL, causing performance decrease and increased cpu usage, consoles however have always had direct access to the gfx core built into them, this includes Microsoft's very own Xbox. pc game developers have wanted the same direct access to graphics core on pc for years and finally got it, I somehow thunk they are going to take advantage of it, dx is nothing on mantle, Intel may have the cpu market, but AMD/ati have just taken over in the gpu market.

Mantle was only mentioned the middle of last year, and within 6 months of talking about it, game developers are releasing updates to use it, I'd say that's pretty damn fast, by the end of next year there won't be much use for dx at all, it may very well still come built in the new os, but whether it gets used or not is a different story.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I agree, Microsoft has already lost to mantle, game developers have been after something like mantle for years, games up till now have always had to run via DX or openGL, causing performance decrease and increased cpu usage, consoles however have always had direct access to the gfx core built into them, pc game developers have wanted the same direct access to graphics core on pc for years and finally got it, I somehow thunk they are going to take advantage of it, dx is nothing on mantle, Intel may have the cpu market, but AMD/ati have just taken over in the gpu market.

Mantle was only mentioned the middle of last year, and within 6 months of talking about it, game developers are releasing updates to use it, I'd say that's pretty damn fast, by the end of next year there won't be much use for dx at all.

:D

Soldato
LOL :D

Is it just me that finds it quite amusing how some tote on how Mantle is going to bring us closer to the metal on the basis it has architectural tie ins with Xbox. When in actual fact it couldn't have less to do with it. It's Microsoft that will be bringing those changes through the API the console-actually-uses.
It makes a lot more sense to support AMDs own controlled API, that once you take into account their aproximate market share, and then ponder for a while how much of those are actually GCN based cards - accounts for what's likely to be a fairly small portion of end users. Compared to say that of DirectX, which is currently ALL OF THEM.

Both Mantle and DICE have given the push that was needed, so for that they need nothing but saluting. But inevitabely a vendor controlled API can only go so far, and the less the benefit it has compared to the competition, the less likely it becomes that it will survive. History has a habbit of repeating itself, and where as you can hope to your hearts content that Mantle will be here in even as close as 2 years from now, those of us that have done the rounds will realise just how unlikely that is. Call me a cynic or a 'phanboy' till the cows come home, that is just the way the cookie crumbles. Hate the game not the player! ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Mantle was only mentioned the middle of last year, and within 6 months of talking about it, game developers are releasing updates to use it, I'd say that's pretty damn fast, by the end of next year there won't be much use for dx at all, it may very well still come built in the new os, but whether it gets used or not is a different story.

Apart from the mass majority of games not released on Mantle right?

Have you seen the list of Mantle games incoming?

Soldato
I agree, Microsoft has already lost to mantle, game developers have been after something like mantle for years, games up till now have always had to run via DX or openGL, causing performance decrease and increased cpu usage, consoles however have always had direct access to the gfx core built into them, this includes Microsoft's very own Xbox. pc game developers have wanted the same direct access to graphics core on pc for years and finally got it, I somehow thunk they are going to take advantage of it, dx is nothing on mantle, Intel may have the cpu market, but AMD/ati have just taken over in the gpu market.

Not sure if serious?

One Mantle supported game and you think Microsoft have lost? Hmm..

DirectX 12 coming so soon with low level closer to the metal and tiled resources would be enough for most to want to use it. AMD did their job with Mantle by giving MS some much needed competition, I have a feeling that Mantle has already served it's purpose. Hopefully from now on DirectX 12 will provide a better developer experience and more performance for the end user.

Caporegime
The biggest jump I've ever noticed was going from dx8 to dx9. Nothing has impressed me as much since.

Agreed Arc. DX9 was pretty awesome in its day and still holds its own.

I have seen the list of games yes, you mean all the big titles that people are playing at the moment, like BF4 and thief etc, I know the list is small at the moment, but mantle is still in the birthing stages

Well BF4 still isn't working correctly for most with Mantle. Thief doesn't yet have Mantle (or need Mantle as the frames are so good with mediocre systems). Star Citizen looks to be a good game that uses Mantle and Sniper Elite V3. Nothing else has my attention and to claim that AMD have taken over the GPU market is so funny, I thought you was just saying that for kicks. I now realise you are serious and good luck with that.

Soldato
The last proprietary API worth anything was Glide.

At the moment, Mantle is not showing me anything to say it will have half the impact on the industry that Glide did.

There has not been a "Stampede" lets put it that way.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Microsoft already lost it to Mantle.
Unless they pay off a developer like dice but those guys want Mantle and unless Microsoft does it the same way which is highly unlikely as it sounds like Nvidia PR, we have a better card in a year (go figure) wait as that be great, (expensive) and not worth my money.

Microsoft is about to have their markets shrunken as they havent been able to handle the transitions to mobile mini markets. to expect them to have a low driver overhead, well good luck with that.

lost what did they lose ? mantle has been just hype still broken mainly and no real gain in anything but bf4 which is not the highlight of gaming lol.

you know the funny thing i play on a older ati driver and bf4 is actually better on that :D

Soldato
I am not discounting Mantle just yet but the longer Nvidia are seen to not be supporting it for whatever reason, it is only harming Mantle as a long term API.

Much like how PhysX is live with it/live without it type thing.

Caporegime
I am not discounting Mantle just yet but the longer Nvidia are seen to not be supporting it for whatever reason, it is only harming Mantle as a long term API.

Much like how PhysX is live with it/live without it type thing.

It isn't a case of nVidia not supporting it (as yet), Mantle is locked down to AMD and a few game devs. No one else can use it currently. They have said it will be an "Open Standard", of which I hope it is but the more I think about it, the less I can see nVidia jumping onto it.

Edit:

Wow, I didn't realise that DX11 was intorduced in 2008... That is 5+ years ago. Damned right we need to move on to DX12.

Last edited:
Associate
If DX12 can provide the same low level access that mantel does then that is going to be the nail in mantels coffin. There is no way that game devs are going to develop games for mantel only and cut out half of their market as NVidia will never support it. So they have the choice of developing for 2 API's at double the cost or just go with DX which works for everything and gives them the low level access they are looking for. Its a no brainer.

Not that I'm against mantel. It was a good idea and was ballsy of AMD to do it. If the only thing to come out of it was to get MS off its arse and do something then it may turn out to be a failure for AMD but a win for all of us gamers. Whatever happens, I'm looking forward to future developments. Any progress is good progress regardless of which camp it comes from.

Soldato
It isn't a case of nVidia not supporting it (as yet), Mantle is locked down to AMD and a few game devs. No one else can use it currently. They have said it will be an "Open Standard", of which I hope it is but the more I think about it, the less I can see nVidia jumping onto it.

Edit:

Wow, I didn't realise that DX11 was intorduced in 2008... That is 5+ years ago. Damned right we need to move on to DX12.

I am aware of that, but general public perception will be "NVIDIA do not support it" and for whatever the reason, that will not help Mantles prospects.

AMD should have nailed this earlier.

The other scenario is Nvidia just say stuff it and ignore it anyway.

I think AMD are trying to use their "Next Gen" console advantage and it is possible that XBO and PS4 "ports" MIGHT see "free" performance benefits because of Mantle, in which case, it might be difficult for Nvidia to ignore it?

Back
Top Bottom