** HERE COME ASUS WITH THEIR 4K 28" OFFERING!! **

Associate
ICDP if it works as expected at 30Hz it screams loss of signal (if you get CRC errors it'll need more bandwidth to correct and probably hit the normal cable limit anyway) and the most obvious place I'd say was the cable. Might be worth splashing out on a high quality cable that's DisplayPort certified like one of the Belkin ones (F2CD000B10) et al.

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/

Last edited:
Soldato
Actually I'm hoping the real estate will enable me to ditch my dual monitor setup for work. I don't do much gaming these days. As long as I can run WoW at 1440p I'll be happy. I'm currently on a 750ti.

I run ArchLinux mostly, I'll post some screenshots of KDE at 4k :) (although apparently High DPI support is being vastly improved in the next release in July)

You will need to reassess the screen estate idea. To be honest my screen estate did not significantly increase due to the fact you HAVE to run Windows at 150% magnification to see anything. Windows and Office work fine with scaling but pretty much every other piece of software had corruption and IQ problems at 4K.

Soldato
ICDP if it works as expected at 30Hz it screams loss of signal (if you get CRC errors it'll need more bandwidth to correct and probably hit the normal cable limit anyway) and the most obvious place I'd say was the cable. Might be worth splashing out on a high quality cable that's DisplayPort certified like one of the Belkin ones (F2CD000B10) et al.

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/

I used the DP cable that came with the monitor and even tried a high quality one I had lying around. I got the same signal loss problem on both, in fact the one with the monitor gave the signal loss more often.

If the cable supplied is not up to the job then I can't see why we should purchase a better high quality one in the vain hope it fixes the problem.

Soldato
Im using the stock cable with an adapter, before i was using a cheap mini display port to display port cable.

I tried the stock cable and so have others here. This is an issue affecting pretty much all new 60Hz 4K monitors. I am now of the opinion that it is a flawed tech that people need to stay away from. Far too immature.

Associate
Other sites seem to have received stock of these today so hopefully OcUK will get them today as well.

Really? Places I've been looking are also saying overdue - if other stores are getting arrivals then OCUK must be getting screwed here.

Edit: Actually I did just find legit sellers with stock in the UK - what's the deal Overclockers?

Last edited:
Soldato
This is looking more and more like a wait and see what happens over the coming months before you buy and that's with all of the 4K monitors not just the ASUS.

I agree, they tech is new and they are truly pushing the very limits of what DP 1.2 can handle right now. The kinks and issues with get sorted, but my fear would be the probability that early adopters getting shafted.

• Windows doesn't scale well at all to 4K resolutions.
  • 3rd party apps actually scale much worse than Windows.
The above two issues should be fixed.

Not sure if anything can be done with the following problems. Far too many people are getting signal loss even with decent quality DP cables.

• DP 1.2 being close to it's limits for 60Hz 4K bandwidth requirements.

Associate
This is looking more and more like a wait and see what happens over the coming months before you buy and that's with all of the 4K monitors not just the ASUS.

I agree, they tech is new and they are truly pushing the very limits of what DP 1.2 can handle right now. The kinks and issues with get sorted, but my fear would be the probability that early adopters getting shafted.

Not sure if anything can be done with the following problems. Far too many people are getting signal loss even with decent quality DP cables.

Moreover, the GPU requirements for gaming at 4K are a little bit insane right now, given that multiple top-end cards are required to just get to acceptable FPS. This is just a way to make your investment in GPUs rapidly obsolete, if you intend on gaming. Solution? Waiting game - for more GPU horsepower down the line. For those of us on lower resolutions hopefully this is a boon as it will mean that the mid-range offerings will be more than enough.

Associate
Without knowing the definition of a "decent quality" cable (wouldn't necessarily trust the cable it ships with) or seeing the issue with my own eyes (can't until OC bother to ship) it's really hard to make a determination about the issue.

As regards to scaling a lot of people don't know you can set a custom pixel density in windows (drag the ruler) which resolves one of the issues - that being said until people buy and start reporting the issues to developers these sorts of problems will never be fixed so it's a catch 22. I write software - one of the reasons I need a high density monitor is to see/fix exactly these sorts of problems for day job, personal stuff and open source projects.

Associate
Bonus points: DPD, Haribo
Minus points: Apparently the last supplier on the planet to get this monitor. (well, apart from Amazon :p)

Gonna be really sad if I don't get it by the weekend :(

Last edited:
Associate

If there is one thing you learn from the electronic / computer business early adopters always get shafted.:(

Back
Top Bottom