** HERE COME ASUS WITH THEIR 4K 28" OFFERING!! **

Soldato
I thought the monitor was excellent apart from the DP 1.2 signal loss issues.

In games the 4k was very sharp and impressive. I could live with the poor colours, I could live with the variation in colour and brightness and I could live with the very poor Windows and app support for 4K.

Jus that poor signal loss issue at 60Hz DP 1.2

Were the colours that bad? From everything I've read people were very happy with them, and most people couldn't see the difference between a cheap IPS and this this play.

The signal loss is a total killer though. I hope we get some news from Gibbo. I like the Asus for one simple reason, the thin bezels. Its only off putting thing of the AOC for me. Stand doesn't matter as I'll be using a VESA mount.

Soldato
Were the colours that bad? From everything I've read people were very happy with them, and most people couldn't see the difference between a cheap IPS and this this play.

The signal loss is a total killer though. I hope we get some news from Gibbo. I like the Asus for one simple reason, the thin bezels. Its only off putting thing of the AOC for me. Stand doesn't matter as I'll be using a VESA mount.

I have compared to a Dell U3011 and a cheap Catleap Korean IPS monitor. The colours on the TN 4K panel were clearly washed out and their was very noticeable colour/brightness variation in normal use. Make no mistake, 4K for games is incredibly sharp, I could even play without FSAA. But for all other uses you had to accept serious drawbacks in IQ. I was prepared to forgive these IQ problems because 4K was seriously good for gaming.

If you are a gamer and have the power to run 4K go for it.

Soldato
I have compared to a Dell U3011 and a cheap Catleap Korean IPS monitor. The colours on the TN 4K panel were clearly washed out and their was very noticeable colour/brightness variation in normal use. Make no mistake, 4K for games is incredibly sharp, I could even play without FSAA. But for all other uses you had to accept serious drawbacks in IQ. I was prepared to forgive these IQ problems because 4K was seriously good for gaming.

If you are a gamer and have the power to run 4K go for it.

Gah! I do a lot of stuff in FCPX, and from everything I've read it seemed this monitor wouldn't be such a step down. :(

Now I'm leaning towards the 34" LG again. :confused:

Soldato
I did used to do a lot of work in Photoshop and a TN screen was not even a choice. Now that my professional needs are reduced I can get away with TN again.

No way this monitor could be used for anyone even remotely into professional work that required accurate colours.

Soldato
I did used to do a lot of work in Photoshop and a TN screen was not even a choice. Now that my professional needs are reduced I can get away with TN again.

No way this monitor could be used for anyone even remotely into professional work that required accurate colours.

Whelp that's it off the table for me so. I'll sit around and see what reviews say, and eye up that 34" 3440x1440 monitor.

Associate
Well ocuk found no problem with mine so they are sending it back to me... Which is odd since I tested it on other pcs but must have been a ghost

Last edited:
Associate
Well make that 5 with a problem I had mine for a couple of days and it seemed to be okay but I'm now getting the same problem about 3 times a day on average so I will be speaking to technical support tomorrow to see what my options are, the only thing that is worrying is the samsung 34um95 is having a similar problem with dp1.2 with flickering might not be the same problem but might indicate a more generic problem with dp1.2.
Did anyone receive a replacement monitor that didn't have this problem yet?

Associate
Well make that 5 with a problem I had mine for a couple of days and it seemed to be okay but I'm now getting the same problem about 3 times a day on average so I will be speaking to technical support tomorrow to see what my options are, the only thing that is worrying is the samsung 34um95 is having a similar problem with dp1.2 with flickering might not be the same problem but might indicate a more generic problem with dp1.2.
Did anyone receive a replacement monitor that didn't have this problem yet?

You may be on to something, I just did a quick search and found someone with the 4k Samsung that has a screen flicker issue that is also using dp1.2.

I'm linking the Nvidia forum post about it:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...monitor-using-gtx-690-driver-337-81/?offset=5

Associate
this is a worry, now to see if the AOC or Iiyama will have the same problem

We'll have to wait and see what happens when they are released. Hopefully this flicker can easily be fixed with a firmware update on the monitors themselves.

According to the AOC Rep here on the forums OcUK will be getting stock of their monitor sometime next week so we won't have to wait too much longer for that one.

EDIT: Spelling

Last edited:
Soldato
http://techreport.com/review/26510/4k-for-649-asus-pb287q-monitor-reviewed/4

For a TN panel, the PB287Q performs scandalously well in this test. Yes, the IPS-based PB278 offers a slightly wider color range, but the PB287Q very nearly encompasses the entire sRGB color gamut, only missing out on some of the reds and deepest blues. To give you some idea of how well the PB287Q performs, you can click over to our review of the T100 convertible and see the results there. (Note that Geoff used the smaller NTSC gamut as a reference in his plots.) After calibration, the PB287Q's color gamut almost exactly matches that of the widely lauded IPS panel in the iPad 3. This thing is no joke.

Soldato
Wow, Techreport have seriously lost a lot of credibility with me for their monitor reviews. If this guy could barely see any colour shift problems on this monitor he needs his eyes tested.

Right on startup I noticed the seriously washed out colours and colour variations all over the screen. 4K for games is very sharp and if you are used to TN then it is a massive improvement. If you are used to IPS be aware you are taking a substantial hit in IQ.

I ended up going back to one of the more affordable 2560x1440 IPS AOC monitors and the difference in colour accuracy is very noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom