• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1366 X58 Xeon 5650

Soldato
Yeah from what I've seen 1.4v is perfectly safe. I'm running 1.4v through my Sandy hex IIRC.. Yeah just checked. 1.4v for 4.7ghz and 1.42 for 4.9...

I run my rig pretty much all day at those volts. The Westmere is the same nm as mine so I would consider it safe, just don't be doing 1.5v for long periods of time.

When Sandy launched people were shoving 1.5v through 2600ks for 5ghz but soon found out that they will degrade quickly with that much voltage.

Soldato
I think it's whatever your comfortable with but I've seen 1.4 mentioned for day to day. I'm at 1.3875 at the moment working my way back down to the lowest I can use at 4.5GHz. I may be happy with higher than 1.4 in the future depending on temps.

If that's the case then I have quite a bit to play with as I'm at 4.4 with 1.35v :D

Seems she has got some more left in her:

:cool:

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm looking at potentials purchases for this CPU, i don't know much about 32nm Xeon compatibility with 1366 X58 boards so if you don't mind giving me a yae or nay for some boards that i come across. thanks :)

Biostar T-Power X58 LGA1366

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC rev

Associate
I'm looking at potentials purchases for this CPU, i don't know much about 32nm Xeon compatibility with 1366 X58 boards so if you don't mind giving me a yae or nay for some boards that i come across. thanks :)

Biostar T-Power X58 LGA1366

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-OC rev
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1547036

Are you a member of bit-tech? I'm selling my cpu motherboard as a bundle on there for what I paid for it, obviously I can't here because I've not got enough posts etc.

Last edited:
Associate
Safe voltages are below 1.4v vcore and 1.35v QPI. You might want to drop your QPI volts if you can as that seems to kill these Westmere/Gulftown chips over time if too high.
Are there any concrete evidence about that? I definitely don't want to lower my QPI voltage under v1.39, otherwise it will not be stable at 4.4ghz. I will play today with the IHO voltage to see if it make it stable with lower QPI.

Soldato
Associate
Been I while since I've tinkered with my setup but I got a shiny new GTX980 today and was tweeking my settings in prep over the weekend...

I've now landed on what seems to be a stable 4.2GHz overclock using air cooling. As mentioned in earlier posts, my cooling is an older design Noctua NH-U12P SE2 but with some of the newer PWM focused flow fans bolted on. Also using some MX-2 thermal paste for the heat sink as well.

Anyhow what is very pleasing is that I'm achieving 4.2Ghz with only 1.288 volts on the VCore. As a result I'm seeing my temps holding pretty low (Ideals around 33 - 34C on one core and the rest between 27 and 31C ish). As mentioned in my earlier posts here, I've got a X5675 so have the advantage of multi up to 25. This means I am using a lower Bclk of 168Mhz to get to 4.2Ghz which I think helps keeps the overclock stable.

I've also kept the QPI volts low at ~1.288 as well, but did have to step down the QPI frequency from the highest speed setting to the middle setting giving a QPI Link speed of 3695Mhz (Displayed in CPUZ). I wasn't able to get my system to boot successfully even with some extra volts pumped into the QPI when it was on that highest speed setting. I gave up adding QPI volts after getting to 1.3 cause it didn't seem to be making any difference and I figured a +4Ghz QPI Link speed was just too high a frequency especially with all 6 RAM slots populated on my board. Once I stepped the QPI link speed down a notch it has been fine booting and running Windows.

I've had a 10 run Intel Burn Test complete with these Bios setting using a "custom" IBT test config for 9655meg of ram and saw max temps of 76c. Ambient temp in my room was 21c when I started the test. I find IBT crashes my system if I run it on Max setting to use all my available RAM (~24 Gigs). I recall reading somewhere it has a bug when run with a config over 10Gig of ram. Does anyone else know \ has heard about that issue with it?

I'm thinking of installing Cinebench to see how my system as a whole gets rated. I'll report back once I've got that sorted and run a test.

On a side note I'm having trouble uploading screenshot images here for some reason... Is there something special I need to do?

Last edited:
Associate
Some benchmarks compared to my old i7.
image.png

for £57 I will say it was definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Associate
hey I've been observing this thread for a few days and i am seriously considering buying this cpu to replace my 920 I've noticed that a few people here had some X58 UD5's how are your systems performing?

Associate
I enable the C state to get 23 multiplier. So when I only use 2 cores I get 4.58GHz compared to 4.38GHz(with 22x), and it seems stable, single thread benchmarks reflect that performance boost, but how i am going to be sure it is 100% stable at this high frequency? I mean stress tests that use all the cores (like prime95) can not test stability with 23 multiplier(4.58GHz) unless you only run 2 threads.

Caporegime
hey I've been observing this thread for a few days and i am seriously considering buying this cpu to replace my 920 I've noticed that a few people here had some X58 UD5's how are your systems performing?

Just do it...I flogged my 920 for 25 quid and bought the xeon for 50 so in essence 25 quid its a no brainier IMO.

Associate
Something strange that I notice, when I have my x5650 at stock frequency the multiplier it is always stay at 22x even when all 12 threads are under 100% load, but with OC to 4.4GHz if you use more than 6 threads the multiplier drops to 20x, hence it drops to 4GHz. Does anybody know how to make the multiplier to stick at 22x all the time?

Soldato
I am searching on *bay for a x5670, is there anything i should look out for?

What is it with american sellers and their stupidly priced postage of $157 dollars and $70 dollars to post at best a 50 gram CPU? and this *bay international shipping nonsense is really driving me mad, it takes so dam long to delivery. Every time i use it its taken over 2 weeks for delivery even if you pay for rapid delivery.

Back
Top Bottom