The official Philips BDM4065UC thread

Thug
Soldato
Highly respected you mean. ;) Especially on these lovely forums. :)

But indeed, the Philips engineer who confirmed this has been wrong in the past.

SST or MST has nothing to do with the interpolation performance of a monitor. I will be one of the first people to properly review this monitor and will of course look at how it handles such resolutions. I don't have any 40" WQHD monitors for reference (they don't exist) so it will be tricky to assess.

Whats the ETA for the review?

Associate
Think I just found my new monitor :).
Looks like I can hook up my ps3 (and soon to be ps4) to it and use the huge screen real estate for movies.
Now I just need a 980gtx as my 580gtx will probably go pop once I plug it in :p.

Caporegime
There isn't one - it's done when it's done. Philips should be sending the monitor over shortly but I will also be busy looking at the u3477Pqu. There are plenty of other things going on at this time of year as well so I can't make any promises. ;)

Fair enough ;) Just give us all a heads-up when done please :cool:

Associate
Freesync/GSync does make me pause in my eagerness for a new monitor. The thing is, I've never experienced either so not sure how much difference they make?

They make lower framerates look smoother, and there is zero screen tearing, which is good when you're playing games at 4k resolutions. But for less demanding games there's no great difference.

Associate
With all the talk of freesync/g-sync, part of me thinks right now is a bad time to buy a monitor, even this one! You can always play the waiting game and not get anywhere when it comes to PCs, but this sounds like something that it really is worth waiting a few months for.... (I'm currently running a 27" 1440p korean panel).

Associate
OP
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1838713&page=13

take a look. It appears this might have weird stretched pixels. If true... id avoid it unless it doesn’t bother you. There is a comparison gif in that thread

But here's the catch that some people on the Japanese forums were not happy with - the display actually has a slightly distorted aspect ratio that is not exactly 16:9 but closer to 20:11 (it is 4 mm wider and 7 mm shorter than one would expect from an exact 16:9 39.5 inch display). This causes the image displayed to be slightly stretched width-wise, such that a 1:1 perfect square would be displayed as 1:1.0177. In other words, the image would appear to be stretched 1.77% wider than it should be.

Associate
Associate
OP
The guys an idiot.
That stretching gif has been doctored to make it look worse, won't be anywhere near that noticeable.

Notice how the nose in the middle doesn't move at all ;)

not sure if your joking? but that wasnt straight from the screen that was an 'impression' of what it would look like.. surely you can read? going round calling people idiots isnt nice.

even so, the pixels are stretched a bit. My 'mantra' ( for a better word ) has to be always able to do 1:1 scaling with no pixel stretch or non native fit.

again, this issue is probably negligble, I wouldnt buy it now until more people have tested it, but the early japaneese testers who got it before we did seem to have gone cold on the model. Im Just letting people know in case its a thing ( no matter how small ) that bothers you when you are spending a lot of money on a screen, dont shoot the messenger :)

Associate
not sure if your joking? but that wasnt straight from the screen that was an 'impression' of what it would look like.. surely you can read? going round calling people idiots isnt nice.

even so, the pixels are stretched a bit. My 'mantra' ( for a better word ) has to be always able to do 1:1 scaling with no pixel stretch or non native fit.

again, this issue is probably negligble, I wouldnt buy it now until more people have tested it, but the early japaneese testers who got it before we did seem to have gone cold on the model. Im Just letting people know in case its a thing ( no matter how small ) that bothers you when you are spending a lot of money on a screen, dont shoot the messenger :)

I wasn't calling you an idiot or anyone on ocuk forums.
The person who made the gif image to give an impression of the screen is an idiot and I stand by that.

Or to put it in a polite way, it's an idiotic thing to make that image because the pixels are streched in a non linear fashion. It's called a non-linear-strech when the outer pixels are stretched more than the inner, handy for dulling the effect of a 4:3 image made to fit on a 16:9 screen without being too noticeable for example as we focus on the inner image. But it means the outer image gets more distorted.

That is not what this monitor does and if it were then it wouldn't even make it out of the factory QA department as a monitor.

Nonsense will be called out as nonsense. I'm really not surw what's so offensive about calling a spade a spade. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I wasn't calling you an idiot or anyone on ocuk forums.)

I know, Its just the principle. If your posting on here Im assuming your probably smarter than the average person who hasn't a clue about scaling technology, 4k monitors etc.. so I just didn't expect or appreciate that wording from a fellow nerd.

Other than the slight pixel stretching, do you know what has made them go cold on it?

that was the reason. I think some input lag testing is needed also..

Back
Top Bottom