• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Just to add I was playing Farcry 4 with Crossfire enabled early on. Disabled all Gameworks stuff and it was running very smooth avg I say around 90fps.

If I was to enable Gameworks the game would show signs of stutter soft shadows being the worst.

What do you mean by Gameworks stuff?

I have tried FarCry 4 with Crossfire, and find performance very poor with AA. SMAA is acceptable, but produces very distracting visual artefacts - which Ive found from other forums is due to the lack of a proper profile.

I'm running at 6000x1200, so really need crossfire to be working properly.

Soldato

I have tried FarCry 4 with Crossfire, and find performance very poor with AA. SMAA is acceptable, but produces very distracting visual artefacts - which Ive found from other forums is due to the lack of a proper profile.

Soft shadows, hdbo+ and light one forget it's name.

Out them only soft shadows shows big difference in quality but performance is massive hit.

Caporegime
OP

We had a profile ready for launch, but unfortunately we've been unable to enable it due to issues with the game. Below is taken from the release notes of 14.1.2.

"The AMD CrossFire™ profile for Far Cry 4 is currently disabled in this driver while AMD works with Ubisoft to investigate an issue where AMD CrossFire™ configurations are not performing as intended. An update is expected on this issue in the near future through an updated game patch or an AMD driver posting."

Since this there have been multiple updates to the game and we're now at a stage where we can enable it in our next driver.

However, you can use Crossfire right now. Using QuadFire in these screenshots below at 4K. This is on 14.12 Omega.

UqTOZka.jpg

e849bs.jpg

dm7eqa.jpg

Unless I'm missing something the game seems to be locked at 60 fps? I removed Vsync but i could not lift the fps cap. Forgive me I've spent no time playing this title at all.

EDIT

Tommy mentioned that Ubisoft broke MSAA in a recent patch, so i used SMAA which worked fine as far as i could tell.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
However, you can use Crossfire right now. Using QuadFire in these screenshots below at 4K. This is on 14.12 Omega.

UqTOZka.jpg

e849bs.jpg

dm7eqa.jpg

Unless I'm missing something the game seems to be locked at 60 fps? I removed Vsync but i could not lift the fps cap. Forgive me I've spent no time playing this title at all.

EDIT

Tommy mentioned that Ubisoft broke MSAA in a recent patch, so i used SMAA which worked fine as far as i could tell.

You enabled msi afterburner frame limiter? Or you running the new amd drivers haaa

Hint hint. :D

I figured out the problem, the start of the game is locked to 60 fps. :D

Progressed a bit further and bam, 95% Crossfire scaling in QuadFire at 4k.

10z4qpg.jpg

Also there are some bugs with MSAA and SMAA in this game. If you look at this users video, i get the same issue when i use SMAA. I think it might need a game patch to correct the issue, this is not a driver fault. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
@AMDMatt:

When using a frame rate limiter in Crossfire, the first GPU takes priority and will only render 3D graphics on the first GPU if the target frame rate is being met. The second GPU only kicks in when there's a chance that the system will fall below the target frame rate. Is this the case with AMD's frame rate limiter or will we get equal usage on all GPU's even when the target frame rate is being met?

That is game dependent, if there is not enough load the 2nd,3rd & 4th GPU will lower clocks and even idle, on some games the load is balanced no matter how low the load.

Last edited:
Soldato
That is not true!
SLI and Crossfire work in AFR "alternate frame rendering" one GPU renders one frame then the other renders the other.. Limit the frame rate doesn't change how SLI/Xfire works.

Now i have not played GRID on these cards, but on my quadfire 5970 the load would creep across the GPUs with some parts of the track only putting load on the first GPU and as i got to heaver parts of the track gpu 2 would also then get some and so on.

Soldato
What? Yes, CFX only works in FULL Screen mode for Direct-X games.

What I'm saying is that I got identical usage on BOTH cards when running window mode, which proves unified monitoring is wrong. (I should have only seen usage on my first GPU in window mode).

I run unified monitoring and i still get independent clock, voltage, load readings, also when you go windowed mode it can take some time for the load readings to change.

Associate
Hi, for Homeworld Remastered, should I use Crossfire or not? At 4xAA and everything else maxed, it still drops below 60fps occasionally even though GPU usage is 100%. I wouldn't have expected this game to push a single 290X that hard, let alone a 295X2. Performance is still good, but I thought it might be like CoD:AW where frame rates are actually better with CF disabled.

If nobody knows, I'll mess around a bit and report back.

It's an OpenGL game, and I'm not sure CrossFire is at all supported with OpenGL, but I sure wouldn't mind being corrected on that :)

In any case, if you're running MSI Afterburner with Homeworld RM, you'll want to add a profile to RivaTuner and set application detection level to None or the graphics go bonkers.

Associate
How do I go about running far cry 4 in crossfire?
It doesn't start automatically like other games but I see people here seem to be running it with the current omega drivers?
Regards

Back
Top Bottom