What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
End of Watch - 4/10.

Having seen people's reviews of this before in this thread, I was expecting something enjoyable.

However, I've not watched something this bad in a while. I found it really cringeworthy at points. The bromance between Gyllenhaal and Pena made me want to switch off and the scenes with their girlfriends/wives were wince-inducing.
The whole filmed footage style of it just didn't work, and the acting of the Mexican gang was truly atrocious.

Watch Nightcrawler or Zodiac for a good Jake Gyllenhaal film.

Caporegime
Transcendence. My suspension of disbelief ran out around about the time his magical nanites started healing people the moment they got shot. All the way through I was thinking of films or books that dealt with the same issues but better - Her, Dr Manhattan in Watchmen, The Terminator...

Overall, pretty rubbish.

Man of Honour
Memories of a Murder (2003)

8/10

It's so refreshing to see a film like this. I didn't know what to expect, it's set in the mid 80s and I didn't know how I'd feel about it but having progressed through I found myself thoroughly enjoying characters and clashing contrast between "crime fighting" methods by the detectives and the dark humour revolving around them.

I was rofling at some segments (no spoilers!) and I'm sure others will too during them. The dialogue is fast and on the ball, just like A Hard Day in a way.

I think where Hollywood excels at stunning films that massage your eyes and ears, Korea makes some stunning films that massage your mind and soul.

Edit*
Reading the IMDB comments, seems it's based on actual events in SK, that makes it even more interesting a film.

Associate
Chappie

So many things annoyed me about this film, add in the fact that its just distinctly average.

I have the feeling that Neil Blomkamp hit his peak with his first film, and both films since then have gotten worse.

Also, that Yolandi Visser bird is absolutely rank, so I cant even say that there was some eye candy to brighten it up a bit.

5/10

Associate
End of Watch - 4/10.

Having seen people's reviews of this before in this thread, I was expecting something enjoyable.

However, I've not watched something this bad in a while. I found it really cringeworthy at points. The bromance between Gyllenhaal and Pena made me want to switch off and the scenes with their girlfriends/wives were wince-inducing.
The whole filmed footage style of it just didn't work, and the acting of the Mexican gang was truly atrocious.

Watch Nightcrawler or Zodiac for a good Jake Gyllenhaal film.

Absolutely spot on. End of watch was terrible. I could not believe how much people bummed this terrible film.

Caporegime
Seen a few lately.

John Wick. Gritty sci-fi action thriller. Better than I expected.

Penny Dreadful. Lives up to its title: there's a character called 'Penny' and the movie is dreadful.

The Adventures of Captain Phurtlespoosh. Hungarian absurdism. Self-explanatory.

The Maze Runner. Surprisingly good even though the big reveal in the final act is weak.

Zombieland. Billed as a highly political post-apocalyptic black comedy. Surprisingly, it didn't have many blacks.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly. If you already know the difference between a diving bell and a butterfly you probably don't need to see this.

Sushi Girl. It's about a girl with some sushi. One of those art house talkathons where everyone sits around bitching at each other across the dinner table.

The Taking of Deborah Logan. A woman called Deborah Logan is taken. So basically the title gives it all away.

The Impossible. White middle class family wants to know if it's possible to survive a South Pacific tsunami (it isn't, as the title correctly implies).

What We Do in the Shadows. Four New Zealanders explain what they do in the shadows. More interesting than it sounds.

Dat Ass! 1960s avante-garde. It's basically about an ass.

The Resurrected. A remarkably accurate rendition of H. P. Lovecraft's The Case of Charles Dexter Ward. Showcases the very best of early 90s low budget special effects but the acting is solid.

Baseline. English nightclub drama. Dark and violent, like most of London.

Frailty. I can only assume this refers to the director's mental state, since the entire movie is a great big steaming pile of donkey ********.

Blood Diamond. Leonardo DiCaprio plays a filthy Boer. You can guess the rest, it's quite predictable.

Autoreiji. Brutal yakuza movie dragged straight from the steaming bowels of Japan's turgid underworld.

Basic. John Travolta in mildly credible role.

A Most Wanted Man. Movie about an individual whose company is highly sought after.

A Perfect Getaway. It isn't.

22 Bullets. I counted a lot more than that.

Assault on Wall Street. A ton of people die, but remarkably the street itself escapes unscathed.

Borgman. Dutch metaphysical surrealism. Highly watchable, particularly if you don't like the Dutch. Pierre Bokma does a good job with the little he's offered.

Exists. Young people explore a forest to find out if the mythical Sasquatch really exists. Unfortunately it does.

Enter Nowhere. Neat little movie about the most confusing stage directions ever given.

De zaak Alzheimer. Gloomy Belgian crime drama. Worth watching if you're a fan of Laurien Van den Broeck and Charley Pasteleurs.

Elizabeth. Bio-drama about an old fashioned woman called Elizabeth.

Incident at Loch Ness. Werner Hertzog ventures onto Loch Ness. There is an incident.

Lost Things. Some people lose some things. Probably best for viewers who know how frustrating it is to lose things.

Unthinkable. Highly inaccurate title; I thought of it quite easily.

:)

Soldato
San Andreas. 6/10 at the movies, probably a 5/10 if I ever rewatch.

Better than "2012" but basically just another vast scale disaster movie. By the numbers script but mostly good effects and decent acting. A couple of bits of awful CGI (one particularly bad shot is a tracking shot of The Rock on a boat which they really should've cut as it just looks so fake). The actress playing Blake (Alexandra Doddario) is lovely though and acted fairly well, given the material. Even my wife said "Wow, she's got a great fugure".

It was also nice to see a balance of man rescues woman/family with woman rescues men. :)

Associate
Valhalla Rising.
I usually love this sort of thing; bleak, violent, little dialog and lots of subtext.
But I didn't, was a hard slog and just glad it was only 90mins.

Back
Top Bottom